It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Bringing Dinosaurs Back To Life! Will They Succeed?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
apparently they havent seen jurassic park lol. this is really cool though, hope they pull it off.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

I doubt it. I don't think it would be nice to have a huge T-Rex walking around, although if it was just a few it wouldn't be that bad, especially if they were smaller. Can't imagine we would get them that big again right off the bat anyways, but it would be a sight to see.

Also, lets think of the technology we have today, all of the weapons we have. Yet, people are thinking they would destroy our race, that's funny. If it was even a .50 cal against a dinosaur, I would bet my money on the .50 cal.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Libran1

I saw that same thing on History, the article given actually recaps that show. I remembered it once it started discussing how the scientist's created the longer tail and the beak with teeth.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I'm of the opinion that they cannot bring these animals back to life, at least with this approach. I'm not convinced that the evidence supports the doctrine of genetic determinism, which the belief that all the information needed to create a living organism is contained in the DNA. Although this doctrine had dominated biology for some time, much like Behaviorism did Psychology for a while, it fails to account for specific phenomena that are critical to this process like embryonic cell differentiation. I suspect that we can resurrect a species eventually but not just by focusing on the genetic material. The DNA is necessary but not sufficient.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by metamagic
I'm of the opinion that they cannot bring these animals back to life, at least with this approach. I'm not convinced that the evidence supports the doctrine of genetic determinism, which the belief that all the information needed to create a living organism is contained in the DNA. Although this doctrine had dominated biology for some time, much like Behaviorism did Psychology for a while, it fails to account for specific phenomena that are critical to this process like embryonic cell differentiation. I suspect that we can resurrect a species eventually but not just by focusing on the genetic material. The DNA is necessary but not sufficient.

I agree. They can probably create a "dinosaur" like creature. but not the real deal.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
It would be great to have them bring dinosaurs back,

BUT

Perhaps they should re-forest the planet first so that there is enough for them to eat and also eaise the O2 levels.

Also, when they were around, the oxygen levels on earth were around 30%
(this they guess is why a dragon fly could grow to a 3ft wingspan).
Likewise, a huge dinosaur may need a lot more oxygen around than our current 20 something %

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Come on now, haven't these scientists seen Jurassic Park? It doesn't end well for anyone. There's a reason that those apex creatures had free reign over the world for hundreds of millions of years. They ate everything else! Mammalians didn't establish their dominance until a lot later once they got larger. A .338 Lapua, .308 or even a .50 bmg may be good enough for big game and some African beasts, but I'm sure that either of those wouldn't be able to penetrate a triceratops skull, or incapacitate a brontosaurus.

We don't know how often they mated. What if a couple escaped and they mated like rabbits? Given the right climate they might thrive like weeds.

Meh, if SHTF with dinosaurs we can always just nuke em back to the Cretaceous.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
allright. cain't wait to see when a group of raptors get loose. Breed like in jurrasic park. Lets see, god makes man, man makes dinosaur and humanlike robot borgs. What a combination. So what will the borgs/robots make? Hey, they get that good, why don't they make another me and transplant me,my thoughts in it and so i can never die. Alrighty then. Keep it up, truly amazing, maybe one day they can creat/replicate a bio engineered disease. One never knows what will become of this tech, if only it was in the hands of good only.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

Now that would be so cool if they brought back the dinosaurs. Just hope they have the dinosaur zoo well secured so something like Jurassic park wouldn't happen. A lot of people might be against bringing them back, I am all for it because I love dinosaurs.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
i guess it's possible, if you can identify certain dna strands that are 100% dinosaur from living creatures here on earth, and slowly splice them into existing reptiles you can continue doing that indefinitely until you have more dinosaur than the original host reptile.

but since the t-rex is long gone and no viable live dna to use exists, i don't think you can bring back certain types of dinosaurs.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Hi there scientists !

well, here's a question i was footsin around with, why not focus on the cures for many diseases/viruses already existing TODAY ..raaaather than breathing life into those ' unknown ' diseases dinasaurs carry?

.... just a wild thought.
edit on 10-4-2011 by steven704 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by FPB214
reply to post by alysha.angel

I doubt it. I don't think it would be nice to have a huge T-Rex walking around, although if it was just a few it wouldn't be that bad, especially if they were smaller. Can't imagine we would get them that big again right off the bat anyways, but it would be a sight to see.

Also, lets think of the technology we have today, all of the weapons we have. Yet, people are thinking they would destroy our race, that's funny. If it was even a .50 cal against a dinosaur, I would bet my money on the .50 cal.

ya beat me to it.

those guys were stuck in the Jurassic park with nothing to fight them with.

i doubt they would be more than a local threat.

besides, even if some did escape, they would have to be fertile to breed.

iirc, that might not be easy to do in real life.

even though they did it in the movie.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
But what about the living dinosaurs of africa? i believe that it's really unnecessary to clone them because they are still alive

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
im dying to see this happen, i mean it would be a waste of tecnology if they only bring some of them back and then kill them again, they would have to actually build a park like jurassic park and let people watch them. i just hope nothing gets out of control.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
i don't believe they could successfully do this. you can't remake what God destroyed. And even if they could...it sounds like a bad bad idea. I don't want velociraptors running around nebraska.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
If these scientists succeed in bring back dinosaurs and mammoths....and still say that Cancer can not be cured...wars of any kind can not be ended, and people world wide are still suffering from lack of food, clothing, and housing...we will know that the importance to TPTB of human kind has finally reached it's tipping point.

The People will then see that like the dinosaurs, they are no more than toys and playthings to TPTB and hopefully they will find the strength within to do what they should have a long time ago.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TriForce
Man I would really love to see this.. There are only so many times that you can go to a zoo and see the same old animals but wouldnt it be awesome to go and see a raptor or a T-Rex?
Waiting for the "we shouldnt play god" posts to roll in now.

I can't think of anything more cruel than this. Resurrect a species, put it in a cage and charge money so that kids can throw popcorn at it.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by freedish

Why don't you think they could successfully do this? They said that they have the DNA, and the technology already exists, so why wouldn't they be able to?

So if god tries to destroy you by getting you sick, would you try to circumvent his will by taking medicine or would you let his will be done?

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I say go for it.

I am tired of hunting deer & elk.

Raptor hunting !!! Now there's a challenge !!

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeepThoughtCriminal
One thing that really irritates me, especially in my field of work, and that is "Are scientists playing god?"

The answer is:

NO.

Replicating a dinosaur would prove marvelous for the field of paleontology. It could also perhaps help us understand the future of evolution for existing animals, seeing as the dinosaurs lived in a much warmer climate (as we are approaching now). Also, what about evolutionary studies? And so the list of studious possibilities goes on!

If only we could somehow get people to stop complaining that we are "playing god". If we did not "play god", there would be no medical research!

Edit: people who are concerned about the danger of having an enormous reptile around are foolish and their opinions are insulting. Safety measures are not unheard of in fields of science, you know, and these beasties would (believe it or not) not be left to run amok!
edit on 10-4-2011 by DeepThoughtCriminal because: (no reason given)
You sound like Levine from Jurassic Park: The Lost World.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join