It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sincere Question About 2012

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I have seen a lot of posts claiming this is all part of "Mayan Prophecy". I am curious where people get this when even the Mayan people themselves contend this is not the case. To my knowledge there is absolutely no Mayan Doomsday Prophecies. Here are some links to check out for yourself.

MEXICO CITY — Apolinario Chile Pixtun is tired of being bombarded with frantic questions about the Mayan calendar supposedly "running out" on Dec. 21, 2012. After all, it's not the end of the world.

Or is it?

Definitely not, the Mayan Indian elder insists. "I came back from England last year and, man, they had me fed up with this stuff."

www.signonsandiego.com.../mexico&zIndex=180924

So basically I guess my argument is how can people argue the world is going to end when the Mayans themselves don't even believe it? Also why do so many falsely quote Mayan Prophecy when the only real prophecy I have found is something about the return of a God and a shift of power in the world. Nothing about death, destruction, and mayhem.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Well ive read and researched every story there is to know about 2012 and it appears evident that "something" is going to happen.

Unfortunately we probably wont know exactly what is going to happen until it'll be too late!

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Phantom28804

I think a lot of the hoopla over 2012 is manufactured since it makes for a more exciting story. The Mayans do not say why their calendar ends. It just ends. People are probably wondering why they choose that date over all other possible dates to end it.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
To be honest...

That is something I don't understand, I try to tell people about it and they are just like"end of the world blahblah doomsday" but from what I've read/watched it is nothing of the sort. In my opinion it is the end of the world as we KNOW it, great change an awakening perhaps...noone really knows but its definatly not a end of days prophacy

anyway, we don't have long to wait so let's wait and see

P.s Nice dog newcovenant ... don't think I've ever seen one of those that big before

edit on 10/4/11 by David291 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

I think a lot of the hoopla over 2012 is manufactured since it makes for a more exciting story. The Mayans do not say why their calendar ends. It just ends. People are probably wondering why they choose that date over all other possible dates to end it.

The Mayan long count cycle ends in 2012. Another one starts immediately after. Think of it as New Year's Day just for a very, very long year. There's nothing for anyone to worry about.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Just Chris
Well ive read and researched every story there is to know about 2012 and it appears evident that "something" is going to happen.

Unfortunately we probably wont know exactly what is going to happen until it'll be too late!

I somewhat agree with what you are saying here. Something will happen, and it will happen because of the misunderstood prophecies. However, it won't be from any mysterious or magical force.

FEAR!!!

Our world is overflowing with fear all the way around it, and it is spreading worse than any other disease. Look at many of the comments you see on this site. People bragging about their own personal stockpile of weapons, and prepared for when TFSHTFF.

Many are not only prepared, but they are waiting. They want it. If the proper situation does not occur, and there is no real reason to use these weapons, many will be highly disappointed. This is where the fear changes into hostility.

Basically, people are f&%# nuts, and it is only gonna get worse.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
When things are left open to interpretation they are interpreted according to the agenda/beliefs of the interpreter. We love hype and doom and gloom so there are also those who feed us what we want to profit form our fears.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

This is a good question.

Its actually very sad imho. You can keep debunking, telling, reasoning with these "believers" but they will call it a lie. It is very sad to see that people believe higher education is supposedly a place one "learns to lie to the masses". This only shows how little these people actually do know about real science, higher education and the world in itself.

What really bugs me is that these wild theories scares children. Somebody should start thinking alittle more on others and a little less on themselves..

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MiTS1965

Originally posted by newcovenant

The Mayan long count cycle ends in 2012. Another one starts immediately after. Think of it as New Year's Day just for a very, very long year. There's nothing for anyone to worry about.

Well that is a relief my friend. Time for us all to relax and enjoy a cold one!

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Doomsday memes are an *ahem* age-old phenomena. Either catalyzed by a catastrophic event (name your flavor; plague, famine, war and more have all been falsely attributed to apocalyptic causes) or simply fabricated out of the raw cloth of ambient cultural anxiety, it seems that a new doomsday date springs up to replace the last one we passed (relatively) unscathed.

However, this is precisely the type of universal and persistent cultural pattern which could be exploited to many ends by a power structure worth it's salt. Considering the media hype and corresponding amount of money being alloted to the 2012 enterprise, it would appear that either we have an overblown collective deathwish (to my mind the fulfillment of supply/demand being the best-case and also the default scenario), or that an interested party in the media is flooding the market with 2012 related material. Any scenario you run from either of those two alternatives tend to be pretty dim.

So yeah, maybe having 5 cases of astronaut food and a hazmat suit might not be the worst idea.
edit on 10-4-2011 by mistermonculous because: (no reason given)

top topics

join