It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Charity muggers' face bans, restrictions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Source

AGGRESSIVE "charity muggers" in would be banned under proposed new laws to be debated this week. Melbourne City Council's new street activity policy would also confine tin rattlers to specific locations throughout the CBD. The proposed law comes as Melburnians express growing frustration at the behaviour of some collectors who stand over them. Read more: www.news.com.au...

What the hell? I am sure most of you know these people that walk around in crowded streets asking for some extra change. Although they do annoy me and half of them DO fake their ills, I would sure as hell not "BAN" them. You may need a "permit" now to do this which is equally ridiculous as needing a "permit" to go fishing.
edit on 9-4-2011 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Somehumanbeing

Although they do annoy me and half of them DO fake their ills,

Your thinking of homeless types who beg for spare change. I have been told this is aimed at those who collect charity and "Good Cause" money. Like those morons who dress up like a koala and beg for money for the "Wilderness" charities or for the left wing communist "Greenies". These people are actually working as they get paid for what they do! I actually had to belt one of the Koala's in Sydney CBD many years ago for being too persistent. Hopefully religious "Prospecting" will be banned as well!

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by phatpackage

Well, IMO you go belt that damn Koala good, no problems here, but I don't think you should ban their ability to ask for said change. I see a lot of the types you stated aswell. "Fund raisers" for something or other, I had a friend work for one of the "businesses" and they got paid around $500 a week + commission per "tickets" sold, etc. Regardless, I guess you could classify them as con-artists

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
The government does not want to ban it.
They just want a piece of that pie.
They'll say they want to ban it,
but they just want to
charity mug the charity muggers.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing
Source

AGGRESSIVE "charity muggers" in would be banned under proposed new laws to be debated this week. Melbourne City Council's new street activity policy would also confine tin rattlers to specific locations throughout the CBD. The proposed law comes as Melburnians express growing frustration at the behaviour of some collectors who stand over them. Read more: www.news.com.au...

What the hell? I am sure most of you know these people that walk around in crowded streets asking for some extra change. Although they do annoy me and half of them DO fake their ills, I would sure as hell not "BAN" them. You may need a "permit" now to do this which is equally ridiculous as needing a "permit" to go fishing.

Maybe I misunderstood? I thought charity muggers were what are also called 'frontliners', who sign unsuspecting passers by up to contribute to charities such as WSPA etc. I used to work doing admin for a company that has these frontliners working for them. They're a bunch of truly unethical thieves (not the workers but the company). When they went bust, and closed down the NZ office, I got fired, as did all the frontliners. Now they've re-opened the NZ office, with a call centre, but I'd advise anyone who wanted to know - stay away from them! Give direct to WSPA etc...

(I am following the link, but it's taking years to load, and now I see that it is what I thought, and your comments were a wee bit mis-leading. I am all in favour of restricting them.)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by phatpackage
for the left wing communist "Greenies". These people are actually working as they get paid for what they do! I actually had to belt one of the Koala's in Sydney CBD many years ago for being too persistent.

What a charming guy you are. I hope she did you for assault. (My son was one of those people in an animal costume when he was a University student.)
Communist greenies? Don't be absurd. If you mean Greenpeace, I would give them nothing, but not because they're communist - in fact the head honcho is a right-wing American, that's why Greenpeace get zip from me.

I am horrified at the idea of some old fat guy thumping a student in a koala costume because he thought she was 'too persistent'. You ought to have been locked up, but I fear you weren't - because you probably legged it while she was trying to get help.

Bitter and twisted much?
edit on 10/4/11 by Vicky32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

I agree it was misleading. But do you think it is not the person's responsibility to exercise caution when it comes to (unless people live under a rock) well-known methods of scamming individuals? The line between someone that is scamming and someone that is genuinely seeking help can be blurred in this case where in comparison to, for example, real-estate scams, the line is clear and evidence can be reproduceable through paper.

In my opinion restricting such "charity mugging" allows the law to restrict the others in the same 'category'. So as to show that I am not biased, I must say I have experience with these said scammers myself. One example was this guy in Sydney, around Town Hall. He would ask people for "phone money" because he had lost his passport and needed to phone home to get help. The first time, my friend gave him change. But then he saw him again, and again, and I saw him aswell. He was there every week.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

What a charming guy you are. I hope she did you for assault. (My son was one of those people in an animal costume when he was a University student.)

Too charming for you that is for sure! This moron was a male (not a female as you seem to think) who followed me down the round after being told no twice. He then proceeded to grab me from behind before trying to hit me and I was too quick and taught him (repeat him not her) a lesson. So if anything I could have got him for assault! See how twisted your story is!

I am horrified at the idea of some old fat guy thumping a student in a koala costume because he thought she was 'too persistent'. You ought to have been locked up

By the way I ain't old and most definitely not fat! By the sounds you are the older one when you refer to your post University aged son! I will also lay money your fatter than me! Locked up ay? I call your bluff, do it if yourself if you think it is deserved, bet you do nothing!

Professional truth distorter you are "much"! The personal insults show you have nothing worthwhile to contribute. Just replying in kind!

edit on 10-4-2011 by phatpackage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Too charming for you that is for sure! This moron was a male (not a female as you seem to think) who followed me down the round after being told no twice. He then proceeded to grab me from behind before trying to hit me and I was too quick and taught him (repeat him not her) a lesson. So if anything I could have got him for assault! See how twisted your story is!

Well, if that's true, you ought to have said so, and not made it sound as if you just thumped him for the lolz.

Originally posted by phatpackageBy the way I ain't old and most definitely not fat! By the sounds you are the older one when you refer to your post University aged son! I will also lay money your fatter than me!

edit on 10-4-2011 by phatpackage because: (no reason given)

I am just going by your nick, in assuming that you're fat, and you express yourself like an old person. I guarantee I am not fatter than you - so you'd lose your money. (Because of health problems, I weigh less than 45 kilos, and am 154 cm tall.) I may be older than you, but probably not. (My son graduated fewer than 3 years ago.)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

I may be older than you, but probably not. (My son graduated fewer than 3 years ago.)

Your son graduated approx 3 years ago meaning he is approx 23-24. I am not old enough to have a child that old!

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   

reply to post by Vicky32

I may be older than you, but probably not. (My son graduated fewer than 3 years ago.)

Your son graduated approx 3 years ago meaning he is approx 23-24. I am not old enough to have a child that old!

OK, you've made your point - but it's irrelevant to mine. Thumping people is uncool. (You didn't bother to state initially that you believed you were provoked, and simply made yourself seem even more of an arse.)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

and simply made yourself seem even more of an arse.)

Even more than? Fair Dinkum. If anyone looks that way it is you for pre judging! Hmmmmmm

top topics

join