It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan warns of massive earthquake and volcanic explosion after the April 7 earthquake

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sarahko
True American:

If and when the big one hits Tokyo, what are the chances of tsunamis in Tokyo Bay?
Some people say that because it`s a bay, even if there were a tsunami it wouldn`t be a major one and that the parts of Chiba on the open sea coast line would be the hardest hit... What is your opinion on this?

Well, this would probably be a bad situation, anything real big in the general area of the red circle I have drawn:

That could potentially send a big tsunami right into Tokyo Bay, and it's possible that the bay could concentrate the wave somewhat, making it even worse.

It just really depends on how big the quake is, how deep, how much sea floor is displaced under water, and where it happens.
edit on Mon Apr 11th 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
And now just happened, another 6 or so, same area as last 6.6.

JMA has it at 5.9:
www.jma.go.jp...

USGS: 5.6
earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
maybe if they would just evacuate and abandon the whole Island they could let the volcanoes take over and cover the reactors,,,

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
even as an Atheist, I'm praying for the people of Japan - nobody deserves what they're going through. If I was in Japan, I would evacuate all of my friends and family as far away as possible - it's only a matter of time until another huge Earthquake and the aforementioned volcanic eruptions.

As people that keep an eye on the EQ site have been stating, there have been nearly 80 EQ's of Magnitude 5.0 or more since 9th March 2011 on the east coast of Honshu alone (they started 2 days before the initial 8.9/9.0 EQ) - it seems there is no end in sight.

google my sig for the latest headlines from 31 alternative news sources all on one simple page. Including the latest from ATS and many more sites.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Theoretically they could rebuild Japan with low rise ultra earthquake resistant structures and 60 foot sea locks around all the major ports. I'm not sure where the funding would come from but it would probably be less expensive than what was done militarily in the region through WW2. The wide expanse of less populated low lying coastal farms and towns further north need a better Tsunami early warning system.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Global Incident usually reports quakes at a much lesser magnitude than anyone else - but they're reporting this morning's big Honshu quake at 7.1 M - USGS has it at 6.6, and emsc says it was 6.7.

Monday April 11 2011, 08:16:16 UTC 5 hours ago near the east coast of Honshu, Japan 7.1 10.0 Detail

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Global Incident usually reports quakes at a much lesser magnitude than anyone else - but they're reporting this morning's big Honshu quake at 7.1 M - USGS has it at 6.6, and emsc says it was 6.7.

Monday April 11 2011, 08:16:16 UTC 5 hours ago near the east coast of Honshu, Japan 7.1 10.0 Detail

Umm, any chance you'd consider using data from the scientists that are there in Japan?
The JMA have it at 7.1 as well:
www.jma.go.jp...

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Take a look at this site too

quake.twiple.jp...

I posted it once before but can`t remember on which thread.
There is also an Android application to go with it and it sends alarms after seconds of any EQ in Japan.
My phone has barely stopped ringing today because of the alerts.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I hope god help the Japanese
it is something to be thought of as something that will just go away,.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Sure.

...Didn't have the link to JMA site, so thanks. ...Maybe I missed it, but do they have a listing page that's easy to scan?

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I asked this on the Japan nuclear emergency page and I wanted to see if anyone here could answer me.

Could the corium that has dropped out of reactor 3 and into the bedrock (according to ATS member- Redneck's deduction) have caused a destabilization of the seismic area here? I ask because the recent quakes are centered around Fukushima, obviously, and if there is the lava pool surrounding the dropped corium in the fractured bedrock there, couldn't this behave something like a newly formed volcano?

I am really shooting off the cuff here. It is just a thought that has been rolling around in my head, and I need someone who understands quakes and volcanoes to tell me if I am sniffing in the wrong direction.

Thanks!!!

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by amarenell
I ask because the recent quakes are centered around Fukushima, obviously....

Well that part is not exactly right. The recent quakes are some 35 miles or so from the plant. So on that basis alone I'd have to say no.

and sofi, try this for a listing:
www.jma.go.jp...

You'll see everything below 4.4 that the USGS doesn't show.... 4.4? Yeah, for some reason they have dropped the magnitude reporting threshold at USGS from 4.5 to 4.4, as those show up on the list here now:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Probably cause so many are falling in this range that their list really wasn't showing the true picture of seismicity there. And at 4.4 it STILL doesn't. That's why I prefer JMA's list, but use both.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
6.4 close to Tokyo this time.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Thanks TA - I'm checking but not monitoring closely these days. Will have to rely on you if that's okay.
...Our long cold winter is finally over - +15 C today!!! It will fall to +1 with -10 windchill on Wednesday - and snow again - but have crocuses and mini irises blooming now, snow finally gone and see green. NEED to get outside in the sun. Really.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by wells
I hope god help the Japanese
it is something to be thought of as something that will just go away,.

Sadly it won't just go away... not for a very very long time...

Japan to raise Fukushima crisis level to worst

Upgrades from a level 5 to a level 7

The Japanese government's nuclear safety agency has decided to raise the crisis level of the Fukushima Daiichi power plant accident from 5 to 7, the worst on the international scale.

The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency made the decision on Monday. It says the damaged facilities have been releasing a massive amount of radioactive substances, which are posing a threat to human health and the environment over a wide area.

The agency used the International Nuclear and Radiological Event Scale, or INES, to gauge the level. The scale was designed by an international group of experts to indicate the significance of nuclear events with ratings of 0 to 7.

On March 18th, one week after the massive quake, the agency declared the Fukushima trouble a level 5 incident, the same as the accident at Three Mile Island in the United States in 1979.

Level 7 has formerly only been applied to the Chernobyl accident in the former Soviet Union in 1986 when hundreds of thousands of terabecquerels of radioactive iodine-131 were released into the air. One terabecquerel is one trillion becquerels.

The agency believes the cumulative amount from the Fukushima plant is less than that from Chernobyl.

Officials from the agency and the Nuclear Safety Commission will hold a news conference on Tuesday morning to explain the change of evaluation.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 05:47 +0900 (JST)

www3.nhk.or.jp...

Nuclear safety regrets its response to Fukushima

The government's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency admitted that it has sometimes failed to properly manage the accidents at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.

Senior agency official Hidehiko Nishiyama made the statement to reporters on Monday, one month following the quake and tsunami that severely damaged the power plant in northeastern Japan.

Nishiyama said the agency failed to clearly address the problems at the plant, as one emergency followed another.

www3.nhk.or.jp...

They don't need any more Earthquakes or Volcanoes right now...
edit on 11-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I'm getting a little concerned.. There hasn't been an earthquake since the 5.4 Iwate quake at 4:41 this morning. It's 8am now in Japan. There have been bigger gaps before, but it looks to me like the calm period may be preceding strong quakes by looking at the quakes' time chart. Could just be completely random, though. I always get a little scared thinking that a big one might happen at a commute hour. Especially considering the earthquakes in Japan yesterday at around 8am.. I hate to think that it's only a matter of time, but it's hard not to. It's enough to drive anyone pretty crazy.

Speaking of driving people crazy, there's countless people in Japan suffering from acute stress disorder and trauma disorders because of the earthquakes and news reports. People in Japan are really going through hell right now, with no end in sight as things steadily go down hill. If there's a time in history for humans to really pull together, now would be a good time.
edit on 12-4-2011 by BeatSymphonic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I would like to know what client or website are you people using to see these quakes in "real time"?

I have been using GEE, but I have yet to see the map where the quakes are happening second by second. Is there a function on GEE that I am negating here? or is there another GEE like site where this is being recorded and shown?

thanks all!
edit on 12-4-2011 by maestromason because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by maestromason

I'm using the JMA official website. Their English page is here.
Yahoo Japan also has a good quake page here. (Japanese only)
If you mean one that updates automatically without reloading, I'm not sure of any like that myself. I just refresh every time I want to check.

The most recent one was 5.8 in Fukushima, 15 minutes ago.
edit on 12-4-2011 by BeatSymphonic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by BeatSymphonic

Isn't it a GOOD thing if there aren't any more quakes?

Serious, all the wishes for doom on this forum make me sick.

Enough is enough. Stop sending out negative thoughts/energy!

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by BeatSymphonic

Isn't it a GOOD thing if there aren't any more quakes?

Serious, all the wishes for doom on this forum make me sick.

Enough is enough. Stop sending out negative thoughts/energy!

I wasn't wishing for doom for anybody. I was simply stating I am concerned that a big one might happen if there is a long pause between earthquakes.
My family is in Japan and that's basically what I meant about my concern. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear in my post.

And I'm all for sending out positive energy, but can't help feeling depressed with all the news our of Japan this last month. sigh..

I'm not sure how other sites have been doing it, but the major Japanese quake news sites have recently started showing below magnitude 3 quakes again. Because the magnitude 3+ (On the Japanese scale) were happening so often, they had to stop showing smaller ones because there were too many and the important quakes would have been lost in the jumbled information. I would venture to say that's a turn for the better!

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join