It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Amazing Thing ATS Taught Me

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I chose this forum because for me this is an educational moment. I'm basically a homer who has only ever lived in Kansas and Nebraska. I've traveled a few places that my vehicle could take me from the center of this great country. I've never seen the ocean and never been out of the country. I know ...pathetic.

It isn't that I don't have the desire I just haven't had the opportunity. Until very recently I have been lucky to live from paycheck to paycheck.

The point of this post is to thank all of you for allowing me the insight of how people from such different backgrounds and diverse geographical locations are for the most part the same. I refer to the same concerns for the areas they live and the people they love.

I feel like I have been able to broaden my thinking simply by being a member of such a great group of folks. Thanks again. The learning never stops.
edit on 9-4-2011 by isitjustme because: spelling

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by isitjustme
I know ...pathetic.

Honesty is rarely pathetic. Thanks for sharing.

Real happy to have people like you here and glad you have found some enlightenment within these walls.

And remember, it ain't what you do it's the way that you do it. I do hope you one day get to see the ocean.....it's big.

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
well,.
ATS is certainly a great source for education of many forms,.
once you learn to weed through the fear and baloney,. its a great thing.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

HA I've seen pics. Thanks

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by isitjustme

All of those things that you describe are not you, only what you have had to do to live in this world so far. When you just change any small habit, it is surprising where it will lead you. ATS members are mainly humans apart from the odd robot, parrot or clone. So as you open to the world in a new way, you will meet surprising beings in any corner. Enjoy the ride and know that there is a part of you who knows everything.
Best wishes

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
S&F for a very positive post....and for being a kindred spirit!

Like you, I've lived from Friday to Friday, never been outside USA boundaries, never been west of the Mississippi, tho I have seen the Atlantic Ocean a few times...

There's plenty of views, news, opinions, theories and feelings expressed here & I've learned a lot as well !

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
BTW How did you guys find this thread so quickly? It doesn't appear to be posted anywhere. Still learning to nav the site

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Isnt it amazing how diverse the people can be and yet sometimes the world seems so small! Until recently, I lived in Oklahoma for all of my life, then moved to WA state and knew nobody
it was a beautiful experience! The people are different, both good and bad, I saw the ocean, It was like a whole new culture! And yet, there were people just like me.

S&f for such a positive post!

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Recent posts.
That is how I got here. I check out the recent posts to see what is going on right now.
I check the topic. and I wanted to know the amazing thing ATS taught you.
Because I am doing my part to keep it alive, perhaps more will come and post.
Perhaps they won't.

If I were you, I would hitchhike to the Eastern seaboard somewhere. Do a little research and get the hell out of town before you die. You can always come back.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
well dude, if ya really wanna see the big Atlantic Ocean,
I live a lil less than an hrs drive. Head east and I'll show
ya the sights
Can't get any better than ur own personal
tour guide

Course you may have to listen to a couple ATS conspiracy
theories on the drive to the beach. lmao

oh, and bring some sun tan lotion. It's too expensive
on the beach. Tourist traps ya know

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Stewie

The most important and amazing thing I've learned is as I stated earlier, how similar yet different people all over this planet are. I often wonder when I read threads where people are and what they are like. I've found most don't put thier location in the space below the avatar.

Itis incredible how someone's thoughts, interests and ideas can not be tied to a geographical location. I would have thought that environment would shape peoples thoughts more.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I'm packing a goofy tourist Hawiian shirt and a camera as we speak

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Stewie

As I said earlier I recently got a much better job than I had. Same company for 14 yrs and it is finally paying off. It's ironic that now that I can afford to take off I have too many responsibilities.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Ya know what? That's a nice post! It's nice to see something fairly positive, despite the negatives like not seeing the majesty of the ocean!!!

The next time you have the opportunity, see the Atlantic Ocean, preferably around Cape Cod. There's nothing like the roar of the angry North Atlantic!
edit on 9-4-2011 by Atlantican because: tie-poe!!!

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Well, I just had to post my thanks to you for the lesson in humility. /bow

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   

I'm with you! I love this place too. So many topics, so many smart opinions, so much to learn...

And by the way, I just made my first trip to the ocean last summer. aaaaaa It was ok...wasn't all its cracked up to be.

Although... It wasss Atlantic City

We're going to Mertle Beach this summer, hoping it's a lil better!
You'll get there

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
The day that you finally get to see the ocean for the first time with your own eyes, you stand in the warm breeze and smell the salted air and feel the warm sand between your toes.......it is like heaven on Earth.

It will be a day that you will remember for all of your life.

Cheers

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Though I have traveled around a bit it is hard to find this much knowledge, brilliance and curiosity housed in one location. A friend of mine who was passionate about UFO's and evtraterrestrials kept asking me to join but since there are rational explanations for everything I figured - what don't I know? Turns out a lot. There are some people not sure where they are going with threads like Don't Spay Your Pet - me and my mutts disagree, and of course I am a Christian and think that comes with it's own set of mysteries and conspiracies but I found for each 1 of those way out there topics, there are another 10 threads more than make up for that lack in pure sense. Quite interesting reading on a variety of topics so there is bound to be something for everyone.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
This really made me realise how much I take living by the ocean for granted. I guess after seeing it every day for 30 years you forget that there are people out there that have never laid eyes on it. If you want to see the Atlantic ocean in all its majesty then I think the west coast of Ireland is the place to do it!! Watching the waves during a storm here is something that's not easily forgotten.. Donegal would be my place of choice, especially the Slieve League cliffs, which are some of the highest in Europe. Hope you get to take a trip to the ocean soon.

edit on 10-4-2011 by cahlmac because: spelling

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightSunshine

I'm with you! I love this place too. So many topics, so many smart opinions, so much to learn...

And by the way, I just made my first trip to the ocean last summer. aaaaaa It was ok...wasn't all its cracked up to be.

Although... It wasss Atlantic City

We're going to Mertle Beach this summer, hoping it's a lil better!
You'll get there

seeing the hugeness of the ocean and breathing in the crisp salt sea air wasn't all it's cracked up to be? that is a new POV for me and i am sorry you had disappoint. i'm chuckling with the novelty of the thought, all my life i've heard people wax poetic of their love for Shore areas. as another poster stated, maybe you would like Cape Cod. i have heard only wonderful things about CC, seems it really captures your heart.

i grew up in the NY tri-state area. i enjoy day trips off-season, to avoid the mommy n me population and the frat boy crowd. a few years ago i visited FLA for the first time and it totally blew me away. very bright and sunny, and the shrubs, trees and things are different from what i know. to me it was like being in another land. people are really nice. highly recommend FLA.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join