It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 Billion People to Watch Royal Wedding

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
You know the world may be going down the crapper, but people still find joy, fall in love, life goes on, we need a respite from the barrage of the negative, it is good for the soul.
edit on 103030p://bSunday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Northwarden

But this is the King in waiting.......

gawd I hope his father never see's the throne and Prince William takes the crown straight after his grandmother. Prince William would make a fine King and I can't wait for his Coronation.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
i dont know why people sucking up all this celebrity stuff...

i even dont know theres a wedding..maybe cause i stopped watching tv long ago...

and seriously...who cares if that lil whimp marries a money horny ****

happends all day...difference is....this costs alot of tax money

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by hederahelix

Keeping people employed with their own money. That makes sense. It's not just the money here or where it's coming from that's the issue, but a total slap in the face to modernized society. "This person is now in charge of you, because he was born into a certain family, and he will use millions upon millions of your money to get married and you're lucky enough to watch it on your television!"

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

This post is the definition of "indoctrination."

"Royalty" taking and taking from a people, leading their own herd off a cliff for sake of corporatism and profit, throwing scraps to commoners, and the commoners praising them for it, hailing and excusing their every move.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues
reply to post by hederahelix

Keeping people employed with their own money. That makes sense. It's not just the money here or where it's coming from that's the issue, but a total slap in the face to modernized society. "This person is now in charge of you, because he was born into a certain family, and he will use millions upon millions of your money to get married and you're lucky enough to watch it on your television!"

It's YOUR money that builds bridges and paves roads... but not everybody can work in construction. It's YOUR money that supports libraries... but not everyone wants to be a librarian. During this royal wedding... YOUR money will be re-distributed to the population for a WIDE array of services. Deal with it.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Well, I will being watching it t.v., I'm not setting my alarm for 5 am to watch it, but when I get up that is what I will be tuning into.

I love a wedding, plain and simple and I'm sure the wedding of a future King will be a beautiful affair.

So, there you have it, I will watch, I will admit to it, and I will not apologize.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi

Originally posted by Pr0t0
Did you vote for this 'Head of state'? No me neither, so why are we trying to impose 'democracy' (or is it just plain capitalism?) abroad?

So predictable and a lack of understanding as to the form of government in the UK. The UK is a parliamentary democracy, with a constitutional monarch. Along with other nations, the UK does not have a political Head of State, like a president. To understand the role of the unelected monarch within the context of a constitutional monarchy you need to research the topic. The role is not like a president, thank God.

Originally posted by Pr0t0 And, for heavens sake, spare the children. My kids are bored at my own families weddings.

If your kids are bored by weddings, then get invites to more interesting ones!

Regards

edit on 10/4/2011 by paraphi because: corrected spelling

Exactly, so aside from wasting vast amounts of public money on staffing & maintenance of several unnecessarily large homes, private travel and security to anywhere in the world, and lashings of opulent, extravagant function hosting for one family event or another, what are they good for?

Actually, I'm pretty well versed in UK political structure and the role of a constitutional monarch who has Royal Prerogative. Of course, this is usually only employed with consent of or on the advice of the current Prime Minister, however the PM must be approved by the monarch prior to taking office, and the monarch reserves the right to refuse their placement. So, in essence though everything goes through parliamentary vote (be it Commons [3 readings + revisions + vote] or Lords [3 readings + revisions + vote] or both) the Head of State can (in the UK - not afaik in other commonwealth states) order acts or statutes of parliament an instant dismissal or approval. Royal Prerogative, depending on the circumstance can cover declaration of war, ratifying international treaties, the appointment & dismissal of ministers; even the entire dissolution of parliament.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I'm not exactly a great lover of the British royal monarchy either but Queen Elizabeth has been one of the finest Queens of all time, her daughter is a carbon copy of her mother and Prince William is a fine young man; he's everything I've ever wanted in a son in law

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
I'm not exactly a great lover of the British royal monarchy either but Queen Elizabeth has been one of the finest Queens of all time, her daughter is a carbon copy of her mother and Prince William is a fine young man; he's everything I've ever wanted in a son in law

So, you're Mr. or Mrs. Middleton?

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by RufusDriftwood
reply to post by Essan

I hear you mate but I think he wouldn't have got that position if it hadn't been for his family name.

Believe me, he got the position on ability. Just like all rescue team members do.

I have a great deal of respect for someone who could languish in luxury and not do a days work in his life, but instead chooses to work in SAR. I have high hope for the future.

(Mind, I even like his Dad, even if he is a traditional Engish eccentric)

As for the wedding: how many other events will get so much attention? Makes you proud to be British, that we stil accord so much interest, regardless of our views on the Royal Family per se.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
It is probably an underestimate.

If you count people who may only watch 5 minutes of it when it appears on the news then I would expect the figures to be over 2 billion.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I haven't seen it pointed out, but you guys really don't seem to show any interest in this, except for the fact that other people are getting something you don't. And focusing on the fact that they're royalty, that they haven't done anything, why are they so special blah blah blah...

Well... actually, if you do a little bit of research on Prince Williams you'll notice that he actually has accomplished probably more than you will in the majority of your life time. And he's only 28, set to be a king, with a helluva good mind and skills.

He's in the midst of all these problems in the world you all are bringing up. He's been in active service, he's served in the military, he's worked his way up and he's had to use his brains to get there. The fact he's from a royal heritage gives him extra means to accomplish this, but it doesn't mean he has to try any less than anyone else who reaches the ranks that he has.

He can be whisked around the world in a moment's notice, to do basically whatever he pleases with unlimited resources. If you had the same capability, what would you do with your time? Vacation? Party?

His personal interests are in humanitarian efforts, opening facilities to the public, going to disaster affected areas and shining rays of hope and assisting where he can. He assists in state duties, has attended tons and tons of schooling (with high marks), has been able to travel and assist the world while gaining military knowledge and prowess.

This guy is in the thick, probably doing more to help others than many will. And he now has the capability to share his life with the world in a national holiday, televised event viewed by many. If you're not going to be watching it, great, but don't knock on this guy's character without knowing who the hell he is. He wanted to stay active service, but unfortunately he has such great responsibility now and in the future that was a risk they couldn't take. Although he's helped first hand with drug raids, and trafficking things like ships to Afghanistan. It would be like asking a presidential nominee to go fight in the Iraq war 2 years before the elections.

I'd react in this same way to any post who was disrespecting anybody else who had accomplished something in life. The fact that he's royalty isn't a big deal to me, it's what he's accomplished on a personal level with education and humanitarian efforts and how he's used that to help the world. The fact that he's royalty has only made that process "easier", and wouldn't you want all the help you can get to help change the world?
edit on 10-4-2011 by shagula because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I think the Royals would like a billion people to watch this wedding but I very much doubt that figure will be reached genuinely. Its just PR for what is becomming an institution that the public are getting more and more distanced from and not so naive as our parents in accepting their luxurious living off the State. Fine, we have a Royal Prince in the rescue Service, but, as he performs his visits abroad, attends this and that royal function, how much time will he, in reality, spend doing his daily rescue job.

He looks so like his dear Mother, Princess Diana it seems possible he will have her wonderful caring character and could use the 'Royal' position to carry on with the work she saw so important and achievable as a Royal. But we have Charles and what's er name first and he could go on till he's 90.

I in truth don't have much respect for the main bunch, I saw Princess Ann in my local town visiting a charity shop. A number of huge 4 x 4s with blackened out windows arrived coupled with a number of huge men milling around making sure the tiny group of us locals didn't get anything other than a glance of her. They blocked the road and more people looked at them than were bothered with Princess Ann. My boots nearly fell off when I saw how short she was and the main comment from those watching, whilst I tried to stop laughing at the nonsense of it all, was concerned with the cost of these gas guzzlers and the number of security men us tax payers were footing the bill for if this was her normal mode of transport for public duties, especially as so few had turned up.

People think we only make one listed payment to the Royals which Queenie distributes around, but as tax payers we pay considerably more for them in hidden costs. I would prefer a President and do away with the idea of a Royal Family, their private lives are not necessarily what one would hold up as good family behaviour. There is also the double standard when we cheer them in this country, with our poverty rising through the roof, should we celebrate having a Royalty with such incredible wealth? Although we seem to be a country that makes heroes out of double standardizing.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
It would appear not everyone is happy for the Royal Couple. Charlie Veitch of the Love Police Channel on YouTube. was saying they were going to cause Chaos I think is what he said. Other than he is probably
the anti-christ or their off spring, I even saw where one person was stating you could expect a child on
dec. 25th. so, there is some really weird people chiming in a couple kids tying the knot.
enjoy all the love you can stand

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
What makes me 'laugh out loud' for real is the peeps that say they'd rather watch 'dancing with the stars' instead of the wedding... Like there's any historical value in that... Me? I'd rather watch 'real' 'history in the making'... Plus if some 'Kodak Moment' takes place I want to see it first hand - kind'a like all you peeps who like to watch car races in hopes for a crash.

No, honestly and all kidding aside, I hope the best for this young couple. I can't even imagine living in their shoes, nor would I want to.

Peace to them and their family. Who knows, maybe this Prince just might make a difference someday... Stranger things have happened.

peace

Edit to Add: Shagula - EXCELLENT POST!!! Read up 2 posts folks! The ones in between is pretty cool too!

peace again and again
edit on 10-4-2011 by silo13 because: peace

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

Ahhhhhhh, this has every element one wants in a thread: cheerful jingoism, ceremonial muppets in lavish costumes, and raving paranoia! For those across the pond offended by my brother American's crass treatment of such an august occasion, allow me to make the following apologia.

Whilst turning a blind eye to the uglier and gaudier manifestations of our own nationalism, we deign to take umbrage with this orgy of a wedding largely due to our resenting the very notion of a king by right-of-birth, however nominal his place in the machinery of government may be. Any issue touching upon the royal family is bound to awaken poorly targeted outrage in the colonial heart. Except Diana. Even we can't hate on her. Some of us even have a commemorative plate or two knocking around in the cupboard.

It's just that divine right is the very opposite of every man a king in his castle, which is a paradigm we, as a nation, are pretty partial to.

So leave this thread, oh ye good subjects of the queen, to us crude plebs over here in the republic. We'll shortly move on to that celebrity upskirt site we've got bookmarked, as befits our sense of national pride.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
They recon an estimated 2 billion viewers worldwide watched the cricket world cup.

Amazing figures.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mistermonculous

Oh yes, in addition to all of the above themes I love to see in a post, did I mention endogamy? Yeah.

www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 10-4-2011 by mistermonculous because: Minor spelling glitch, but key enough to require correction: enogamy ->endogamy

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackPoison94

I work Tuesdays and Thursdays so I don't even get a day off because of this - our oh-so-generous Royals can't claim Friday as a 'gift' if I don't work Friday anyway

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join