It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 Billion People to Watch Royal Wedding

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
As somone living in England the only person I know who will likely watch it is my grandmother. I havn't met anyone who is at all interested in the wedding and I am surprised at the attention the royal family get from other countrys especially America. What are they told over there? What's the obsession? Is it the blood links to the presidents?

The only use I can see for the royal family is money from tourism but I don't know how much that weighs against how much they cost the country.

When the next coronation happens I'll watch but I'll be waiting a long time as the queen seems pretty determined to live to 200.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

I dont have any problems with William or Kate as people, in fact they look like a nice couple. I wish them happiness. But I have trouble in supporting the concept of a Royal Family because it goes against many of the things I stand for. I know for the most part they are just figure heads and have little in the way of power nowadays, but it is still an institution based upon hereditary entitlement that I vehemently disagree with.

I like to try and look at things sometimes without historical perspective and wonder how in 2011 we still have a family who have so much privilege based on a concept of the divine right of kings. Meaning their right to rule is granted by god, a god i do not believe in.

Not too different than the House of Al Saud, that heads the present Saudi Arabia landmass.

the Royal family does exert a good deal of influence on the people/politicians/policies of GB...
but in concert with the bankers of course.

correct me.. but are the Royals related somehow with the Germanic peoples in the distant, historical past
++++++

oh yeah, i will not be observing the cerrymonies or pomp...thats pop culture fluff...
so 2 billion minus another

edit on 10-4-2011 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

The Royal Family are indeed German. King Edward VII was the son of Queen Victoria and Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, of the German House of Wettin . Queen Elizabeth II is the great grand daughter of King Edward VII. She is directly decesnded to the male line leading to Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.

If you go further back in Queen Victoria's history, the bloodlines move into places like Denmark and Norway.

The name of Windsor was made up so the Royal family could sound more English. There is nothing English or British about the Royal family . Nothing at all.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Why? i seriously don't get why people care about some pointless Royals.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyTrick
As somone living in England the only person I know who will likely watch it is my grandmother. I havn't met anyone who is at all interested in the wedding ...

Well you need to get out a bit. In my village there's a street party on the green with the primary schhol in attendance and the pub will do a roaring trade. The landlord will have a pig and a lamb on a spit.

In the UK - if you are so anti-Wedding, then can I suggest that you donate the day off you are getting to charity. Take the day off and then go and do some good with the free time, rather than getting stressed that two people are getting married, one of which will be the Head of State.

To the "Queen is a repitle" brigade. You are sad and really do need to get out a bit. You are spending too much time on your own.

Regards

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

Hi para,

YES! Go Will!

I am a kiwi, and even tho I don't think some Brit queen should rule us, I love William - and if Will was king I think the planet would be a better place.

And to all those people who are not going to watch the wedding - guess what, they will watch it, but they will not admit it.

And to all you people who said it sucks - enjoy your negativity.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
In England a couple of inbreeds get married and 2 billion people watch. I wonder what they are doing different "my redneck wedding" here in the states gets nowhere near that kind of coverage. If the royal clan wanted to do something to boost the moral of the nation they would turn over the millions being wasted on this to the colleges and universities so the fees for the students will be lower.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
With all the flags, bunting, biscuit tins, coins, trays, plates, hats etc adorning this pretentious couples image going on sale in many shops where I live I always make an effort to utter in earshot of those admiring these tripe products how only an idiot would buy these products knowing that our tax money, in a time of massive cuts, is being wasted on an overly opulent wedding. Send them to the registry office.

Secondly, no one cares. Seriously. No one I've spoken to would want to waste a single penny on these two beaming idiots. I guess the 2 Billion watching are all abroad cause everyone I've talked to is just happy of the extra bank holiday, but won't be watching. We should be completely abolishing this Germanic monarchy which is just a drain on resources. If it's tourism you're worried about we can nationalize the profits made by tourism to the palaces - that's all the tourists see anyway.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

Hi, para,

Can I come to your village?

We don't have villages here - that is why we are dying here in NZ.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Why do so many people want a ruler? They want it so bad that they'll make one out of just about anything. President, dictator, queen, it doesn't matter. Neither are worth anything. You may as well be bowing and cowering at the foot of a giant inflatable gorilla.

God save yourselves.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Reality T.V. for these two ? Hey! Why just the wedding ? Keep the cameras rolling right on thru the honeymoon.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I'll probably watch or record it. We have BBCA here and they're going to broadcast it. I'm not sure as many will watch as did with Charles and Diana, though. Of course there was no internet then, so more may tune in online than actually watch on TV. But hey... I kinda like all that Prince and Princess stuff.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Yeah,

Let's do that.

Go back to your knitting.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi

Well you need to get out a bit. In my village there's a street party on the green with the primary schhol in attendance and the pub will do a roaring trade. The landlord will have a pig and a lamb on a spit.

In the UK - if you are so anti-Wedding, then can I suggest that you donate the day off you are getting to charity. Take the day off and then go and do some good with the free time, rather than getting stressed that two people are getting married, one of which will be the Head of State.

Did you vote for this 'Head of state'? No me neither, so why are we trying to impose 'democracy' (or is it just plain capitalism?) abroad? If you're so pro-monarchy, why don't you and all of your friends pay for this wedding and allow us who don't want the money spent on it to get a rebate? I'll donate my time to charity - which, as we all know starts at home. Why would I give anything to charity anyway? So they can waste that on their own key rings, t-shirts, bags, pens and other paraphernalia which proves none of the money goes to where it's needed, or intended by donors?

And, for heavens sake, spare the children. My kids are bored at my own families weddings. If you're going to have a party, great, have a good bank holiday, have a barbecue if the weather permits, but don't put up shrines to these shirking royals and force them to sit through the horror and sheer drone that is a church of england wedding ceremony.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Its call distraction and mental manipulation people.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

I'm all up for having a good time in the pub and especially if theres a hog roast going and yes there are things going to be happening but that doesn't mean I actually care about the wedding or the royals nor do the peope running these things. Unfortunatly I won't be getting a day off even though I've heard it's my rights? I don't get bank holidays off not even new years eve. Yes I need a different job but not too many of those around. I suppose I am a bit bitter about a royal wedding when I'm struggling to pay the bills on a minimum wage job.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Well I won't be watching it, nor will I be watching the news at all that day, or for the entire week before and probably after.

The truth is, the majority of people don't care about the royal family anymore. Our parent's and elders may have done in the past, but the stark reality is nobody really cares!

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Hessling

You can guarantee I won't be watching it with purpose, but obviously a glimpse of this fantasy will reach my local news channel also, so I guess I will be forced to accidentally watch a glimpse of it, because it won't be broadcasted once, but many times.

I don't see the importance, I mean it is not even entertaining, it just boggles my mind.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by UKTruth

The Royal Family are indeed German.

If you go further back in Queen Victoria's history, the bloodlines move into places like Denmark and Norway.

There is nothing English or British about the Royal family . Nothing at all.

Apart from more recent immigrants, almost all of us have German (Anglo-Saxon), Danish (Viking) or Norwegian (Norman) ancestors.

So sounds like the Royal Family are exactly as much English or British as the rest of us

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pr0t0
Did you vote for this 'Head of state'? No me neither, so why are we trying to impose 'democracy' (or is it just plain capitalism?) abroad?

So predictable and a lack of understanding as to the form of government in the UK. The UK is a parliamentary democracy, with a constitutional monarch. Along with other nations, the UK does not have a political Head of State, like a president. To understand the role of the unelected monarch within the context of a constitutional monarchy you need to research the topic. The role is not like a president, thank God.

Originally posted by Pr0t0 And, for heavens sake, spare the children. My kids are bored at my own families weddings.

If your kids are bored by weddings, then get invites to more interesting ones!

Regards

edit on 10/4/2011 by paraphi because: corrected spelling

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I'm lost at why people would want to watch two privileged leeches who live off the back of the British people, get married? It's beyond me! One bit of advice I would give Kate Middleton though... If, in the future, you piss off the queen and the other royals make sure you wear a seat belt!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join