It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strapped in for ejection seat test – at 600 mph

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Wow , I thought this was just crazy. Takes one very brave man to test something like this.
Ahhh It was a mannequin) I'm sure it will be tested with a human soon enough however.

AE Systems tested a new ejection seat that will be deployed on over 3,000 F-35 Lightning II combat jets around the world, using a 600-mph rocket car, a battery of sensors and one lucky mannequin. They captured it on video — but don't blink or you'll miss it. The test took place in early April. Though the entire emergency escape operation, from handle pull to parachute deployment, typically takes only three seconds, the team took up to 900,000 measurements per second.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

edit on 9-4-2011 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
i am sure i saw this yesterday, but i cant recall the title of it.

edit on 9-4-2011 by kaoticf8 because: i can spellz

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Or maybe i dreamt it cant find it with the search function, now wouldn't that be a fun ride to go on haha, although you'd be passed out by time you get to eject though the first few seconds would be fun haha

edit on 9-4-2011 by kaoticf8 because: its to early in the morning to be spelling correctly!

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

I recall reading somewhere that the injury rates on high speed (like 600mph) ejections were relatively high, though they weren't talking about this particular ejection system. Still, that's a very fast speed to eject at, can you imagine what a 600mph wind feels like after you eject?

I wouldn't want to be the test pilot...glad they used a dummy to test it.

new topics

top topics

join