It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4/9/2011 Sun Hugh CME and Possible Hyper Flares

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Well, I think our luck just ran out. I just hope our crazy Magnetic Field can hold up.

CME Check Out "Stereo B" www.spaceweather.com...

This CME will hit Earth, NOAA warning site. This K6 is the highest I have ever seen.
K index Chart www.swpc.noaa.gov...

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

source of the cloud appears to be sunspot complex 1185-1186, which experienced an episode of magnetic instability during the early hours of April 9th

Hyper Flares

Stable or quiescent filaments are believed to lie in and along a magnetic trough. It is thought that the sudden disappearance of such a filament is due to a reconfiguration of the field. In essence, the magnetic trough becomes a magnetic ridge (the bottom of the trough elevating in a period of tens of minutes to become the peak of the ridge). In this process, the filamentary material (cooler gas) is thought to be accelerated into the corona. Hyder's explanation is that, in the case of the Hyder flare, some or even most of the filament material, instead of suffering acceleration and ejection, falls down the sides of the magnetic ridge and interacts with the lower chromospheric material producing the flare. If the infall process is symmetrical, then the double parallel ribbon flare will result, if asymmetrical, then only one ribbon results. If the infall is sporadic, or the material insufficient, then only bright knots of flare are produced. Hyder did calculations to show that the kinetic energy of the infalling material should be sufficient to provide the

Link:
www.ips.gov.au...

A magnificent filament of magnetism is curling around the sun's southeastern quadrant today. Measuring more than 700,000 km from end to end, the vast structure is about twice as long as the separation between Earth and the Moon. Arrows trace the filament's meandering path in this extreme UV image from NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory:

not easy for such a filament to remain suspended indefinitely above the stellar surface, and indeed a collapse is possible. Filaments falling onto the sun can trigger explosions called "Hyder flares." Is one in the offing? Readers with solar telescopes are encouraged to monitor developments.

Link:
www.spaceweather.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
will be fine,

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

edit on 9-4-2011 by cronotrigger30 because: double post

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Have checked it out, nothing to worry about, move along

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by coolottie

Well, I think our luck just ran out

When are this "cloud" going to hit earth in GMT time ??

And whats the worst case senario with these hyper flares ?

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vandalour
reply to post by coolottie

Well, I think our luck just ran out

When are this "cloud" going to hit earth in GMT time ??

And whats the worst case senario with these hyper flares ?

The magnetic field wil absorb the hit, we might get a little interference with communications but it will hardly be noticeable, dont worry.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

Oh, I guess I should have asked you about it first. I check it everyday for over a year and never saw anything higher than a K4

this was the 8th, Just a graze.

sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov...

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I read that not to worried about it, but I got to say the sun has a massive freaking filament on it right now. It's honestly humbling to view something that massive.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
The first link in the OP isn't working, but the second one is, and it seems to be showing a K4, not a K6 on that page.

OP, please would you repost the link for the page where it says it is a K6? Thanks.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by coolottie
reply to post by Itop1

Oh, I guess I should have asked you about it first. I check it everyday for over a year and never saw anything higher than a K4

this was the 8th, Just a graze.

sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Sorry, i didnt mean to sound arrogent but i believe to the best of my knowledge that this wont effect earth, maybe little bit with telecommunications but we should be fine.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
CME Tracker site is down is this normal? I have never gone there before.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

No, I was just glad to hear you say that. You sounded like it was something you knew about. That Stereo B was even hitting the SOHO, looks so terrorifing.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Its only a B class flare which is small

You can look at this chart as a comparison to yours, from 2002

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

edit on 9-4-2011 by Itop1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

I saw the B and B just a little while ago , only now they have B9 and C1. Isn't 9 the highest in B, C, K, X?

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by coolottie
reply to post by Itop1

I saw the B and B just a little while ago , only now they have B9 and C1. Isn't 9 the highest in B, C, K, X?

Yea but A is small, X is Largest, so a B9 is just short of a C... which is still small.

A, B, C, M, X

each class has a peak flux ten times greater than the preceding one, with X class flares having a peak flux of order 10−4 W/m2. within a class there is a linear scale from 1 to 9, so an X2 flare is twice as powerful as an X1 flare, and is four times more powerful than an M5 flare

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

I feel like an over reacting female again. HaHa. Thank you for having the patients with me.
I just checked the Magnetosphere site and it is down right now, Now I am just su ck ng your brain for knowledge, that's what I like about ATS you learn something everyday.

This is from earlier today. But with it coming this way how long does it take?
The two Sun Spots were right in the top little off middle,

www2.nict.go.jp...

top topics

join