It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin And Comet Honda

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
There is another comet out there.
It's name is Honda.
It is expected to cross paths with Earth
around 08/21/11,much closer then Elenin.
But here is the kicker,
it will cross paths with Elenin around 09/17/11 before Elenin
comes close to us,possibly causing Elenin
to slowly to break apart before crossing Earth's path
around 10/18/11
Just a theory,
Check out this website,
elenin.org...
edit on 9-4-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
August 19th 2011 Comet Honda is so close it looks scary on that map, it would only take the comet to take a slight turn and its right on impact for us.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
0.77 AU away from Earth on the 19th August if that data is valid.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
God saved us from a few already.
No surprises.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Thanks for posting I was researching these comets earlier today. Great link, it shows the timelines of both comets in one place. S&F.

Btw. I'm having trouble finding information on Leonid Elenin. Does he even exist? Has anyone out there found anything legit? It's just curious because The Leonid's is a meteor shower we experience in November (same month we go through Comet Elenin's trail), and people online are saying ELE stands for Extinction Level Event, and I've heard that NIN is a sumeritan word for godess and also that it stands for Near Impact Nemisis.

Idk about that stuff but if the gut's first name is Leonid, that's kind of strange.
Can anyone find some info on the guy?

I also can't find the size of Elenin's orbit. But it looks huge. The project doesn't zoom out that far and it appears to me the size of it's orbit remains undetermined. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by IndieA

Btw. I'm having trouble finding information on Leonid Elenin. Does he even exist? Has anyone out there found anything legit?

I too have tried to find out some info about Leonid Elenin and didn't have much luck - apart from this website www.linkedin.com...

It claims on there that you can contact him? might be worth a shot

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
well i think that this Huge asteroid, to pass near Earth in november is bigger than honda and will be closer than either honda or elenin.
Not sure how easy it will be to spot though.
According to this NASA report it will be closer than the moon
Also lots of topics on all of these objects scattered throughout ATS you should search using thier names and read those too, have fun

edit on 9-4-2011 by RadicalRebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by DodgeG1

This is his blog. I wrote to him via here and he wrote back:

spaceobs.org...

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

If 0.77 AU alarms you then you should be more nervous about Venus and Mercury, thousands of times the mass of comets, but alas you just left out a decimal point, its closest approach is 0.077 AU, which is over 7 million miles away, or about 52 times further away than the moon.

Earth will never get any kind of measurable gravitational tug from a comet, the most damage a comet could do to earth is to strike it. The scales are just astronomical. Here's a couple edited images I put together from another asteroid thread to lend a visual approximate scale to things. First image is resized to upload.

Detail full Rez.

True earth/moon distance.

When considering the AU distance don't confuse it with Lunar Distance, although, Lunar distance is pretty big for objects that size.

If estimations are correct so far this is a thumbnail accurate scale of relative sizes.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
There is another comet out there.
It's name is Honda.
It is expected to cross paths with Earth
around 08/21/11,much closer then Elenin.
But here is the kicker,
it will cross paths with Elenin around 09/17/11 before Elenin
comes close to us,possibly causing Elenin
to slowly to break apart before crossing Earth's path
around 10/18/11
Just a theory,
Check out this website,
elenin.org...

The closest Honda-Mrkos-Pajdusakova will get to Elenin is 0.337 AU (50,400,000 km), on September 22nd. It will have no influence on Elenin as that is a very large distance and it is very small, with an estimated diameter of 1.6 km.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Kinda scary...

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by amywood71605

Scary indeed, especially if Elenin is NOT a comet but a brown dwarf. If the latter, its gravitational effects and how it interacts with the sun could cause problems down here. In fact, there are many uncertainties of how things are going to get played out and Venus - an electrical planet - may play a part in this scenario. And after 29 May, an earth-directed CME would mean no more ATS, electric grid gone, no Web, no water, back to 1800 AD. There's also a scenario in which Elenin hits asteroid 1999 VD on 13 September, that is BEFORE the close pass of asteroid on 8 November.

mclinking

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mclinkingThere's also a scenario in which Elenin hits asteroid 1999 VD on 13 September, that is BEFORE the close pass of asteroid on 8 November.

Asteroid 1999 VD orbits the sun at a distance of 2.3-2.5 AU, outside the orbit of Mars. On September 13th, Elenin will be nearly inside the orbit of Mercury. It will be 2.87 AU (430,000,000 km) from Elenin. So no, Elenin won't be hitting 1999 VD.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by mclinking
reply to post by amywood71605

Scary indeed, especially if Elenin is NOT a comet but a brown dwarf. If the latter, its gravitational effects and how it interacts with the sun could cause problems down here. In fact, there are many uncertainties of how things are going to get played out and Venus - an electrical planet - may play a part in this scenario. And after 29 May, an earth-directed CME would mean no more ATS, electric grid gone, no Web, no water, back to 1800 AD. There's also a scenario in which Elenin hits asteroid 1999 VD on 13 September, that is BEFORE the close pass of asteroid on 8 November.

mclinking

And if it was a brown dwarf, it would be wrenching planets out of their orbits and creating absolute chaos in the asteroid field.

No dice.

And, uh, we get close to Venus every 19 months or so. I don't see any electricity problems reported once every year and three quarters.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by nataylor

You guys got the wrong Asteroid for Sept 13th Collision with comet Elenin C/2010 X1.
It's not 1999 VD, It's 1993 VD
Someone named the collision Devilenn, an anagram for the cosmic love child.
The two bodies do at least cross orbits closer than any other object with Elenin

Here's the JPL orbit
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by PlanetNarzifferon

Still, closest approach of Elenin to 1993 VD will be at about 09:00 UTC on September 13 at a distance of 0.0134 AU (2,000,000 km), more than 5 times the distance from the Earth to the Moon.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by IndieA

Interesting just because i like playing on words and their meaning I did a quick search on the words that can be segmented out of Leonid Elenin and this may or may not be interesting.

Leon or Leo = Lion or king
nid = nest
El(l)en = light
nin (as you say) = godess

Put those together and you get "king(Lion) nest light godess" in anycase interesting name when associated with a near earth comet don't you think. And the fact that the comet is called "light godess" and the collection of debri we're just passing through is called Leonid as in the "lion(king) nest" . Well not a theroy just a play on words but still... I am sure there are more meanings that can be extracted from this name.

Just my two cents.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
So there are currently 3 comets headed towards us that should be very close to Earth several times from August to November? I see some of you are stating they will never actually be close enough for impact, but since they are still so far away and still may collide with other things in outer space, itsn't it possible that one of these may change its path and possibly may actually hit earth? Are they any plans that we know of that NASA is making preperations for any of this? I am somewhat familiar with Elenin, but I know nothing of the other 2.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
There is one more Comet the Mercury Comet

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Flag you
just keeping a eye on this one good general info

new topics

top topics

join