It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Cop Abuses Baby Squirrel ...Sprays it with Pepper Gas

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by darrylss

Yes, but spraying it with pepper spray for fun is not something our ancestors would have done.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

Trust me they did far worse... have you ever seen a squirrel trying to chew its own leg off, while stuck on a snare wire, or a leg trap?
come on you cant be serious.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by AOA2012
Squirrels do not normally approach people like that, it could have had rabies or something.

That is not entirely accurate. It depends on the area. I know when I go to Niagra Falls the squirrels have no issues with people. They will walk right up to your feet and act like you are not even there. I always figured they were just used to the people.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Yes, you might as well have been beheaded right? You're comparing the war of scottish independence to your silly forum post.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Look, it's ok.
I accept your apology for the language in all caps. And for the record, an apology shows good character
I cannot undo the action.
You are not oppressed, you just have to follow simple rules.

Heck, I've killed and eaten squirrel. They were wild though, not city slicker squirrels. My dad always said, make sure you kill them. If you think you hit them, make sure they don't suffer. The pepper spray thing is a bit tortuous, don't you think?

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Friend, nobody can oppress you on the internet. You can go start your own forum and make every thread a copy of the post that was removed.

I'm wondering if there's some dumb procedure this guy was following, given how brazen it is. I could see if rabies were a local problem, he may be bound to follow instructions to take out any animal acting at all strangely. I'm not usually a cop-defender, but this isn't so much defending cops as sharing the blame. Just because he had orders doesn't mean he had to follow them, but the problem may be rooted elsewhere.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross

Yes, but spraying it with pepper spray for fun is not something our ancestors would have done.

Oh I dunno about that. Our ancestors used to throw tea in harbors and punch the Kings soldiers in the eye.We are descendants of an ornery bunch.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Did they do it for fun or for food? I am sure that cop didn't eat the squirrel.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Whoa people are going crazy here and not for good reason!

A: We have NO idea what the circumstances here were. All we have is a video of a man dressed like a polic officer spraying what looks like a squirrel that is charging him. Poor video quality to boot.

B: If it is what it looks like the Squirrel could be showing symptoms of rabies. We can't tell from the video. Many people are killed by rabid world wide every year. This is better than using his side arm and he could be waiting for animal control who is equipped to handle this. If the squirrel DID bite someone it has to be captured and tested.

C: He could be an evil power hungry idiot with a small.... ego.

The truth is we don't know so who has the facts around this video?

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Thank you, and your right moderator.. my POV of the video was.. People were congregated and the squirrel had no fear of people.. there is a RISK for danger, considering that these creatures are classified as a rodent. It was hi job to keep the animal from coming closer and to give it a re-newd sens of human fear. The Police officer didnt kill it or mame it... he sprayed it, which is more of a sensible thing to do, than to make it suffer till it died.
I wonder what the story would read if a little girl was bitten by the squirrel and she contracted some sort of viral disease, while the police officer just stood there and didn't do anything.. I think that its a NO-WIN situation for the police officer... I am very offended by the video that depicts a police officer, who every day, puts his life on the line, to have his character judged and damaged by the cell phone video of someone who doesn't understand. This can be considered "Yet another reason why we should HATE police" and for the RECORD, I don't agree with this video.. it sends the wrong message.
Everyday I am thank for for all the men and women who serve and protect our communities, so we can sit here and read ATS peacefully, in our homes.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

There is a difference in killing an animal for food to survive and torturing a baby animal for your pleasure. That is unnecessary.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ucantcme

Show me a fact that it was a baby animal? it was an animal nonetheless, one fearless of humans. Thats Humanities fault, that is far more cruel, than to give it a sens of fear of us, using pepper spray.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Here is the Story On Dallas News

The story still isn't clear.

I saw another story that said the cop was told the squirrel was rabid...

Either way it was treated and released into the wild unharmed.

Edit to add from story:

Mesquite police Sgt. Wes Talley said the officer who showed up thought the animal was acting strange and might have been rabid, according to Fox 4.

If this is true his actions were reasonable. End of story. A rabid squirrel is not a joke.

edit on 9-4-2011 by Jinglelord because: (no reason given)

link   

In the National parks here out west..There are always signs telling visitors not to feed the squirrels.
Of course people feed them anyway...they are the size of cats. At Yellowstone we watched one holding an ice cream cone...Having the time of his life. Pudgy dude.
However. The problem out here is not rabies, it's plague..Literally old fashioned Black plague, from the fleas.
SO there could be danger. It's true..
Also for the record....I'm having a little problem with the actions of cops these days. Some are having problems over reacting. SO you can see why Big cop versus little dude caused the reactions.

link   
reply to post by morder1

well....imho.....i dont really care about the squirrel,well not that i dont care(not like he was shooting it).What i do care about is the fact that there were children in the background begging not to spray it.someone should have brought them inside first,then he could have sprayed it.hering that little girl beg him not to spray it.....good pr barney fife.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by AOA2012
Squirrels do not normally approach people like that, it could have had rabies or something.

Yes they do normally approach people. There are several in our neighborhood that are quite tame. Nearly everyday, two or three in particular come up on our porch and peer in the window at us to beg for a handout. I can go out on the porch and sit down next to them, like less than a foot away, and just hang out with them while they eat a hand-full of peanuts. It's probably dangerous to get so close with them for all kinds of reasons (I know, they often carry rabies, plague, and other diseases), but I look at it like this: if/when TSHTF and there is a food shortage, it'll be very easy to lure one onto the porch, smack it on the head, and voila, there's dinner! And heaven knows, they're so well fed around our neighborhood, they're likely to be meatier than your average suburban squirrel.

On topic, I am very sad to say that I am entirely unsurprised that the big bad cop pepper-sprayed the curious baby squirrel.
edit on 9-4-2011 by dalloway because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I went to Penn State, where a squirrel will literally climb up to your shoulders to eat your sandwich. If the thing was rabid, it would have never been "treated and released." This squirrel is acting like any young animal, stupid and confused.

I grew up on a farm, where baby deer would chase our cats for fun. I didn't go tackle the deer and beat it senseless, because its a baby and its stupid and confused. Its trying to learn its way in the world, and eventually will learn to keep its distance from humanity.

I live in LA now on a huge mountainous ridge, where a particular baby coyote (mom probably got hit by a car), hangs out and begs for food, which I definitely shouldn't but I do sometimes leave dog food out for him. Why? Because the little guy is a baby, and is stupid and confused.

We're in the way of the animals people, not the other way around. If an toddler learning to walk got away from its parents and started stumbling towards you in a park, you wouldn't pepper spray the little dork.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Not surprising as the Mesquite Police Department has a policy of harrassing disabled drivers because they are easy marks for traffic ticketing. Other LEO orgainzations around are fully aware that the Mesquite PD bully many suspects - they are said to be a "real closed mouthed close-knit group". Don't piss one off if you can help it. Officer Davis has shown us the BEST of what it means to be a police office in Mesquite Texas.

ganjoa

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

It looks like a baby in the video. But thats really not the point. Dont use the fact that in nature you have to kill other animals to survive as an excuse for the torturing of ANY living being. Why should they fear us? What is the point to that? With the exception of the people who gets their kicks from hurting innocent animals most people just leave them alone.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join