It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon Teen Says Father Saved Her From Sex Offender

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
An almost happy story!

MILWAUKIE, Ore. -- A Milwaukie teen says a man, later found to be a sex offender, tried to grab her while she was walking home from school Thursday evening.

Luckily, her father quickly came to the rescue and tackled the suspect

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

Shelby Harrington, 13, says Quinn approached her asking for her name and then tried to grab her by the shoulder.

She was able to get away and use her cell phone to call her dad. That’s when the two started driving around the area looking for the suspect on their own. A few blocks away, they spotted him.

“I didn’t know what to think. [Was] he was going to have a car come around the corner or what? My first instinct was just to run and call my dad,” Harrington says.

“I grabbed him, body slammed him and put him in a nice headlock and waited till the deputies showed up,” Brett Harrington, the teen's dad, told Fox12 News.

Now for the sad news..

Police cited Douglas Quinn and are charging him with harassment.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
So the system fails another child who was about to end up kidnapped. Who didn't see that coming...

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Put me on that jury. I can assure you the father would get acquitted.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Quinn (the registered sex offender who tried to grab the girl) is only being charged with harassment? One more example of a situation in which the *system can/will do nothing for you, unless something first happens to you! I guess I'm not surprised. The girl was smart and luckily dad was close.

edit on 9-4-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Blind believers in the system didn't see it coming. There's actually a 50% chance that they think it didn't fail, just like there's a 60% chance that made up statistic is too conservative an estimate.

You'd be surprised how many people convince themselves the system works and they're happy with it.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
The father of the girl did a good job. I hope the sex offender gets locked up or at least monitored closely so he never does anything like this again.
edit on 9-4-2011 by Casandra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
We need to have civilian oversite for police services to control these scum bag cops.
They are just out of control sociopaths
edit on 9-4-2011 by XRaDiiX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by XRaDiiX

What? the cops arrested the guy. The prosecutor is charging harassment.
Rail at the *system, that's what failed here.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
the father did everything right......up until he called police. he is lucky he didn't get charged himself.

This would have been a very happy story, if it had ended with a peckerless john doe washing up on a lake shore somewhere.

I am actually empathetic toward "some' sex offenders, I think our laws are a little too restrictive, but when it comes to grabbing a young girl and attempting to force her into anything, it is time for old-fashioned daddy justice! There is just far too much wildlife here in Florida for any evidence to last beyond a week or two in the Swamps and Forests around me.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Go DAD!

However I would not have attached my child's photograph to this story. Too many weird people on this planet.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by XRaDiiX

That couldn't be more true. While there are cops who take their position seriously as protectors of the people, there are a lot who let the power go to their heads, and I'm completely confident that some only became cops for the power. It's disgusting.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Tried to grab the guys daughter, forcefully...

Sentence:

10 mins in a locked room with the dad.

Weapons for the defendent:

None.

Weapons for the Dad:

Brass knuckles.

case closed

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by XRaDiiX

What? the cops arrested the guy. The prosecutor is charging harassment.
Rail at the *system, that's what failed here.

The reason that people are "railing" at the system is because obviously the guy was going to rape that girl. The police will GLADLY upgrade charges against anyone who "resists" arrest and will GLADLY throw the book at other criminals and upgrade charges just to see if they stick.

The WHOLE POINT is that this girl was one step away from having her ENTIRE LIFE RUINED by this retarded idiot and the cops let him go freely. (as if he cares about being arrested for harrassment)

NOTE: The people in this thread (or the ones who look at it but don't say anything) are more than likely supporters of devious sex acts against children.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I am all in favor of removing predators from the population.

My concern is that we here on ATS do not have enough information to say Quinn was trying to abduct this teen. Nothing in the story says this, in fact nothing in this story says Quinn was a sexual predator in any way. "Sex Offender" is an extremely large category these days, ranging from convicted multiple rapist-murderers to some guy taking a picture of his toddler taking a bath.

Until there is information suggesting Quinn was attempting to abduct this girl, or has a history of predatory actions "assault" is the correct charge. He tried to grab her shoulder.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by IvanObanion

Yes, thank you. Perhaps you should read *both my posts again.
You've obviously misunderstood them.
edit on 9-4-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Montana

I starred your post because I agree with you to a certain degree, however...

If the guy in this picture was grabbing my daughter by the shoulder, I'd want to punch him out too...

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Montana
I am all in favor of removing predators from the population.

My concern is that we here on ATS do not have enough information to say Quinn was trying to abduct this teen. Nothing in the story says this, in fact nothing in this story says Quinn was a sexual predator in any way. "Sex Offender" is an extremely large category these days, ranging from convicted multiple rapist-murderers to some guy taking a picture of his toddler taking a bath.

Until there is information suggesting Quinn was attempting to abduct this girl, or has a history of predatory actions "assault" is the correct charge. He tried to grab her shoulder.

Yeah, maybe he was just trying to find out where she lives, that's all. Maybe he just wanted to know which road she walks down and who her friends are.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I agree with your sentiment, I would too. However there are several people here who already have this guy floating in a swamp. Really? With this little information?

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

Yes, thank you. Perhaps you should read *both my posts again.
You've obviously misunderstood them.

Yeah I did misunderstand them, the way you typed it it sounded dubious. It sounded like you meant the opposite of what you said.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Maybe someone fitting her description had just sprayed his garage door? We have no information is what I'm saying.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join