It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats Wrong with America?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 05:07 AM
link   
No - it was directed at no one. I didn't even get past the original question.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Ironically here in the UK we often look to the US as an example on what you do get right. In general it's percieved that the average American has a better quality of life than the average Brit, more disposable income and better services. Although the crime rate was a negative against you most Brits now believe ours is almost comparitive now as yours has dropped and ours has risen. Along with crime, education is a huge concern, house prices etc. Problems either for the US, UK or Europe are probably equal.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 08:17 AM
link   
The UK has a higher violent crime rate then the US - that is a fact.

The standard of living I would imagine is about equal, though as I read in the EU vs USA economy thread, the US poverty conditions are better then those of the UK.

The thing is, the US gets a lot of things right, and a lot of things wrong - just like any other country. When we get them right, we usually get no credit because it is expected. When we screw it up, we never hear the end of it. I guess thats what comes from being in the position of power that we are.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I wouldn't put it in the context of "what's wrong with America," but one thing interesting to look at is the idea of competition vs. cooperation.

Politics,
Celebrity,
Success,
Wealth,
are all very competitive in the US.

Of course competition can be a good thing, rewarding excellance, effort and talent.

But when competition gets out of hand, and the rewards disproportionally large, you are either a winner or a loser.

When the only thing that matters is winning at any cost, lying, cheating, and deceiving are rewarded.

I suppose some kind of balance is best, but I would like to see a little more examination of how cooperation can make everyone a winner, whether on a personal level, a business level, or internationally. I really think this is going to be the next step in human evolution. While Darwinism was all about competition and survival of the fittest, the future is going to be about getting along and not destroying each other.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by JabbaOnTheDais
ATS is filled with some very intelligent people, but many great points of view are diluted with all the arguing. Almost everyone agrees that America (or any other country) is not perfect, and many believe its far from. I want everyone to name at least something thats obviously wrong with America, that the politicians don't seem to see. Imagine the president of the United States called you into his office and asked for your advice on how to fix America. He's been rich his whole life, never knowing the struggles of everyday people.

Here are some examples of important things I see:
- 1 in 75 Americans are in jail. 1 in 5 will go to jail in their lifetime. Only 2% of those in jail are there for violent crimes. To me, that means something is wrong with either our justice system, society, or both.

- 1 out of 5 women experienced a completed or attempted rape at some time in their life.

- America's education system rivals that of Uganda, nearly the worst in the world.

I'm asking for serious input, and don't blame it on a single politician, because the problems exist during all administrations. The first step of change, is recognizing whats wrong.

What's wrong with America:

1) its external affairs policy.
2) the 'money is god' mentality.

In short terms, greed, greed and greed.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by JabbaOnTheDais
Here are some examples of important things I see:
- 1 in 75 Americans are in jail. 1 in 5 will go to jail in their lifetime. Only 2% of those in jail are there for violent crimes. To me, that means something is wrong with either our justice system, society, or both.

I'm asking for serious input, and don't blame it on a single politician, because the problems exist during all administrations. The first step of change, is recognizing whats wrong.

Many more people will probably go to jail because the secret Patriot Act II destroys what is left of american liberty.

ie, under Section 501, a US citizen engaging in lawful activities can be grabbed off the street and thrown into a van never to be seen again. The Justice Department states that they can do this because the person “had inferred from conduct” that they were not a US citizen. Remember Section 802 of the First USA Patriot Act states that any violation of Federal or State law can result in the “enemy combatant” terrorist designation.

From Alex Jones'
TOTAL POLICE STATE TAKEOVER: The Secret Patriot Act II Destroys What Is Left of American Liberty

The Patriot Act II bill itself is stamped "Confidential -Not for Distribution." Upon reading the analysis and bill, I was stunned by the scientifically crafted tyranny contained in the legislation.

The second Patriot Act is a mirror image of powers that Julius Caesar and Adolf Hitler gave themselves. Whereas the First Patriot Act only gutted the First, Third, Fourth and Fifth Amendments, and seriously damaged the Seventh and the Tenth, the Second Patriot Act reorganizes the entire Federal government as well as many areas of state government under the dictatorial control of the Justice Department, the Office of Homeland Security and the FEMA NORTHCOM military command. The Domestic Security Enhancement Act 2003, also known as the Second Patriot Act is by its very structure the definition of dictatorship.

[edit on 5-12-2004 by evilution]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join