It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats Wrong with America?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   
The Liberal Left! They are intent on killing Capitalism and the moral compass of this country... both of which are the foundation upon which this great nation was built.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Good question. We have our problems obviously. I figured my orthodontist several years ago was making $500 an hour off of me. WHY? Why does he have to make so much? I can't even trust a mechanic to work on my car and get it right without the bill coming to over $500. I guess what I'm getting at, and seeing, is if you're not successful in school, or done't have parents who can afford to send you to college, here in the states, it's gonna be an uphill battle your whole life. Sure there's many people that can accept that challenge and win but many are failing and their spirits are failing with it because it's so exspensive to live normally anymore. That's hard to swallow and a harsh reality for young people. I believe our teachers are much needed to be as inspirational as they can be, give hope to kids while they're young. Parents need take responsiblity for their kids and give them the best opportunity they can to be winners out there today, sacrifice if they must. I think we're overpopulated in a lot of areas. People need to start sacrificing and quit being selfish. If you have kids, teach them integrity, selflessness, kindness, strength, determination, honesty, and understanding and they will succeed and so will OUR planet.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   
What is wrong with America? Where do I start, I believe that wages should be switched around, Movie Stars and Athletes should only make minimum wage because in reality blue colored workers make squat and bust thier butts 10x harder to make not even a percentage of what they get paid. "Sex" get over it already, if you want to sleep with men or women of the same sex or even live your life with one go ahead I do not believe your sexual orientation should be governed by religious belief do to the findings that most priest are homosexuals hiding in thier parishes in thier secret societies because they were to afraid to come out because of what society thinks. "Taxes" enough of this , you purchase a house on a piece of land, its yours to do what you wish to do with it, no more town permits for upgrades to your property so big brother can upgrade your taxes everytime you make an improvement on something that belongs to you. "Poverty" stop feeding the homeless elsewhere and start taking care of our own, free schooling to help those who might not have had the chance to do certain things they might have wanted to learn but could not afford to go to school. "Employment" stop sending jobs elsewhere and start creating our own manufacturing plants for everything we need here so we do not have to live in this revolving world of import/export. And my last issue "Children" encourage creativity as if no one has noticed todays Rock bands are just remaking things that have already been done, TV shows arent even entertaining anymore because we have sunk to watching others in Reality shows to make ourselves feel better.

And I almost forgot just legalize weed, just think people would be so much nicer,creative and easy going if they were all stoned, remember pot heads are laid back easy going people they are not like the nasty drunks you find in bars after 12:00 midnight that are all boosed up with thier pented agression looking for fights.

You asked for it, I responded to it, Can this be a workable fix or is this world just never gonna change?

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Here's another example of a possible scenario that might help. Any foreigner that's not a US citizen commits a felony, send them and their ENTIRE family back where they came from. ACCOUNTABILITY!! They'll be less likely to be a negative addition to America if their actions affected their family members too. Think about it. Why are we letting Muslims into this country and giving them tax breaks when their god says to kill all non believers of the Quran? Although many people here are not religious, America in large IS, and not of the Quran. It doesn't make sense to me.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   
First everyone must pull their heads out of the sand and accept the blame for there own actions. What society has become is what the problem is, when I can commit a crime and claim that I did it because I am some poor minority or someone that did not get a golden spoon and people will feel sorry for me that is a problem. The problem with the education system is that we cater to people that do not want to be educated,if teachers could spend time educating rather than fighting students that have no upbringing or guidence from parents the rest would be educated better. Children that do nothing but cause trouble and disrupt class today are called special needs children and we end up spending twice the time on them and they still fail and there parents say it is the teachers fault. I get a kick every time I hear how the poor prisoners in this country just received a bad education and thats why they are where they are. well let me tell you I know a lot of people in prison and former prisoners many of them were A or B students but decided to be dirtballs instead of good people. We must stop feeling sorry for people and make them accountable for there own actions that means if want to be educated you can be but nobody will do it for you,everyone rich and poor have that oppertunity. Think about how rough it was for our forfathers and what they made happen in this country and you can bet that no one felt sorry for them because if you did not fight and work hard you starved.

So I guess that I feel What is wrong with America is that we all have someone else to blame for our failure other than ourselves.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 06:12 PM
link   
1. There are more laws, thus more crimes can be commited
2. Sex is on TV constantly.
3. Education is about producing obedient corporate workers not intelligent human beings.

I hope this explains everything

Keep in mind there is a stat for everything

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 09:23 PM
link   
if ya want my honest opinion there are several things i would personally change.

i would definately revamp the justice system so victims have more rights. i would also like to see harsher penalties for crimes such as rape.

i also would put an end to the war on drugs. who is the government to say what we can and can't put in our bodies. and if somebody gets addicted or ruins there life because of drug problems, thats thier own damn fault. people should take some f@#$ing responsibility for once.

i would also make sure there would be less restrictions on firearms and more severe penalties for those who missuse thier right to bear arms. i mean we can't rely on the pigs to defend us all the time. not to mention how can we defend ourselves from our ever corrupt government officials.

i'd also have the southern states be disbanded from the union. i mean all these redneck right wing religious freaks are toatally f@#$ing all sorts of s@#$ up. hey, sombody had to say it.

[edit on 26-7-2004 by mutehalo]

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   
advertisements.

every developed country in the world has laws restricting the amount of advertising that can occur in newspapers, magazines, tv, etc. americas are the weakest, and the ads are everywhere. they do two things:

1.) they make kids inattentive. how can anyone watch the news in the US? it's incredible... ads every 5 seconds. you'd have to have ADD to stand it, and if you didnt beforehand, you'll probably have it after a week of watching US news. (or any programming for that matter.)

which leads to issue 2: corporate sponsored media is a problem in and of itself. it skews the news, and promotes 'fluff' stories and the dumbing-down of the populace as a result.

-koji K.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   
But then that's another problem.... too many just "watch" news. Nobody reads anymore. They get the paper for the job, housing, entertainment and crosswords. And sales circulars. I watch news and I read news so I can get both points. Sometimes the footage used is biased even if the verbal story doesn't seem to be. So I read, where there are no pictures and I have to go on words alone. Then compare the two and wade through the crap to get to the facts of the story. But there just don't seem to be many people reading anything but magazines anymore. Maybe the magazines with their pictures and short articles are a result of the t.v. driven ADD??

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by torque
Maybe the magazines with their pictures and short articles are a result of the t.v. driven ADD??

i'm certain of it! this MTV style 'short soundbyte' style of reporting has spilled over from tv into the "written" press for sure.

-koji K.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
What is wrong in America is roughly what is wrong in many western countries, rampant left wing PC, rampant right wing rhetoric, politics that's become so ideology moribund or money orientated as to be completely innefective with regards to the issues that affect peoples day to day lives, a refusal on anyones part to take responsibility or affect change when it's needed, compensation culture, victim culture, an almost instinctive talent for passing the buck, greed is good, might is right, good guys come last, money is everything.

What is good, you still have the freedom to say what is wrong.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Not everyone but the majority of people and especially those in positions of power have told God(the Bible God) that he is no longer needed or welcome in the U.S..

Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord Psalm 33:12

The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God. Psalm 9:17

[edit on 29-7-2004 by dbrandt]

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
If there is an overreaching problem with the counrty is that people have lost the concept of personal responsability and having tough luck. When something bad happens to someone, immediatly the blame is shifted to someone else (i.e. a lawsuit) as opposed to just fate or tough luck. And to make it worse we require the government to step in and make it alright again. Someone gets fired, they sue who fired them and expect the government to provide for them. Someone becomes disabled through an accident, they sue anyone possible and expect the government to provide for them. People have forgotten what it means to be self-sufficient.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbrandt
Not everyone but the majority of people and especially those in positions of power have told God(the Bible God) that he is no longer needed or welcome in the U.S..

Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord Psalm 33:12

The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God. Psalm 9:17

[edit on 29-7-2004 by dbrandt]

I disagree. Isn't President Bush a supposed "great christian"? I think that our politics in the US are quite owned by religion.

For instance, why do we back Israel in their struggle against Palestine? My mom was arguing to me the other day that it says in the bible that we should always back Israel in this fight, but any logical person who wasn't Christian would see that this is being too biased and would start mediating rather than choosing sides.

Ok, I think you see what I am getting at: one of the problems is that we are ruled by religion and this attitude of "my religion is better than yours". Honestly, who has actually taken the time to examine the Islamic belief system rather than condemning it first thing? I bet that 99% of Christians do not know that Islamic people think that Christians are going to heaven.

But this is not a big problem for you can work within the confines of religion and still be a great country: just look at switzerland. Our problem is most obviously our foreign affairs and our high and mighty attitude (look to our control of Panama with over 10 military bases etc) We dont own a monopoly on morality and we dont deserve to control how other countries should operate. Hegemony is a bad thing no doubt.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Uganda? Uganda!! You want to compare Harvard, Yale, Rice, Cal Berkely, and Stanford to Uganda? When the Ugandans begin to produce F-22's, begin make medical breakthroughs each year, and build their own space shuttle and send people into space, then you can compare them. I think our education rivals that of England more than a third world nation.

Nox

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
Uganda? Uganda!! You want to compare Harvard, Yale, Rice, Cal Berkely, and Stanford to Uganda? When the Ugandans begin to produce F-22's, begin make medical breakthroughs each year, and build their own space shuttle and send people into space, then you can compare them. I think our education rivals that of England more than a third world nation.

Don't forget MIT!! God. It's the best engineering school in the world... I can't believe you left it out.

Hehe, has anyone else noticed that nearly all of the best schools in the US are located in states that voted for Kerry?

Anyway, this only shows how our education system reflects on our class segregation. Some children just aren't being taught anything, others are at the forefront of society and technology.

Nox

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I will list a set of plans and the benefits of my own "no child left behind" plan. It's a hybrid between private and public schools (actually, it replaces the public education system with "Junior Military Academies")

Plan:
1. Replace public middle school and public high school with a new junior military academy governed by martial law. That will be the new "public school". That should teach them discipline. A portion of the work of the students will be for social welfare programs (mostly cleaning).

2. Families need to file their personal information to receive any gov't endorsements for private school education. If a family wants money from the gov't, they need to do their research. The gov't needs to know how much money will be needed for transportation, tuition, and supplies (this information should be provided by gas prices, public transportation, and the private school respectively). The parents don't have time to do this research? Tough.

3. If the child is a minority and is having difficulty finding a nonpartisan private school, then that's tough. The parents need to look harder or hire a private tutor. They'll need to file for gov't endorsements.

4. Tutors are paid for by the gov't as well as by the parents for work they do. They should be paid by percent improvement of their tutees' grades. Even volunteer tutors like myself will be paid!

5. Turn current prestigious public schools into scientific/military research labs. A place like Berkeley, considered the best public school, would be turned into a nuclear and global satellite weapons facility (as if it weren't already, haha). Places like Stanford and MIT would remain untouched.

6. Education and work experience will be provided by corporations themselves. Corporations won't mind paying when it's basically child labor. This kind of training and learning is much more efficient that the crappy semantics we're stuffing into intransigent kids who aren't bothering to learn anyway.

Benefits:
1. The families who value education will benefit. We won't have as many careless students in schools disturbing/distracting the studious ones.

2. Burger-flippers don't need an education. They just need discipline. School is not the perfect place to teach discipline these days. Children, whose parents don't care enough to research and work for gov't sponsorship of their education, don't deserve education.

3. The chances that I will be obsoleted in a decade or two from working in an unstable field will decrease. Class segregation will make sure of that.

4. Under my plan, people like myself will actually be paid for what they do. I'd be reimbursed by the gov't for my charity work.

5. The gov't will be saving a lot of money:
- no more researching and fixing the public schooling system,
- only families that seriously value and care about education would bother filing
for gov't endorsements. Only the lazy will suffer.
- work in the form of "child labor" being done by the junior military academies
that replace the public school system

6. The religious right will have their faith in the GOP's handling of education put to the test.

7. It will be fun to watch Stoney Burke do backflips in rage the next time I go to UC Berkeley's campus grounds.

8. Each biased student will have his own biased teacher to match his needs, reducing the need for a student to conform to or adapt to (or learn from) different environments. Liberal students will become more liberal. Conservative students will become more conservative. Religious fanatics will become more fanatical. This'll be great! All viewpoints will be presented in much less ambiguous manners.

9. There will be a higher demand for well-educated scientists and engineers. I'm assuming this because honestly, I don't think many parents will spend the time or even know how to file for endorsements from the gov't for private school.
Private schools aren't monitored by the gov't as much as public schools are, so they hold the right to reject students however they see fit. In effect, unless there are private schools on almost every block, a lot of parents wont care enough to drive or walk their children 10 miles to send their children to the nearest Judo-Christian private school, or Japanese American private school.
They are the lower class, remember? How could they afford the time and energy?!
Haha.

10. There will be an even GREATER demand for multilingual, culturally diverse scientists and engineers such as myself. Consider that an Asian student will more likely find an Asian private school or an Asian tutor, that a Hispanic student will more likely find a Hispanic private school or a Hispanic tutor, etc. How many will truly discover the advantages of struggling in a diverse environment? Not many. I will have a distinct advantage in an environment full of myopes.

11. Since the only mandatory schooling is done under martial law, not as much tax dollars will be wasted. Also, I've named numerous reasons why the private schools won't be every lower class citizen's system of choice for their children. A lot of money that we claim to provide on the education of lower class citizens won't be provided at all. It'll be saved for us, the upper class citizens.

12. Warmongers will be satisfied with the irony of seeing Berkeley, considered one of the more liberal institutions, turned into a fortress of destruction.

13. Conservative will finally stop complaining about paying for public education (it's funded by corporations from all over the world
). The corps can call it slave labor if they want. We'll call it "education".

My plan is perfect. My logic is undeniable.

Nox

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
What acitivities can our junior cadets partake in (public cleaning is a given)?

The activities should go towards "public benefit".
Examples of activities that go towards "public benefit":
1. The "students" will report to the gov't whenever their parents dissent. They could also report to the corporation their parents work for. As a reward, the students will get free rooming and 3 meals of gruel per day. Don't worry, the children will be properly brainwashed so that they'll lose any attachment to their parents.
2. Students will perform charity work for big corporations who desperately need their support to flourish in an expanding, overpopulated employment market slowly being dominated by outsourcing targets like India and China. Students will be trained to do mundane tasks by the corporations. This will save the gov't money that they would have otherwise spent on hiring "teachers" for these Junior Military Academies.
3. Students will be required to clean the streets of animals. Public Humane Societies will be run by children. It will reduce the risks of disease (for us middle and upper class at least).
4. Students will be sent to the fields for agricultural work. They'll be planting veggies and grain products. This will balance out the obvious imbalance of nutrition the average American suffers from (corporate America loves expensive meat, and scorns cheap veggies. The average American gets twice as much protein as he needs per day. The excess protein is stored as fat, and we wonder why Americans are overweight. The average American eats half as much fiber as he needs per day, and we wonder why our crap smells so badly). This'll shut those vegans up. Also, I want Americans to live healthier.
5. Students will be the subjects of experiments. For example, weapons testing. We can easily test the feasibility of a new weapon by training children in how to use them. If the children can learn how to use them at a fast rate, then we know we've succeeded.
What, you actually thought I meant "test the weapons ON the children"? That's barbaric. I'd never harm a (disciplined) student. Corporal punishment is only for the bad students.
Also, students will be trained in MAKING weapons and ammunition. This will help later on when we send them to war (they're not going anywhere in life anyway, haha), since they know how their weapons work, and how to repair them.
This plan will help our obviously weak military. We only spend 5 or 6 times as much money on the military as the next richest country.
6. Students will test new food products, their health benefits (or risks). With such a large statistical sampling as the entire lower class, our statistics will be that much more reliable. Can anyone say, "at least three standard deviations"?

Can anyone else think of public benefit activities?

I'm sure everyone would love my plan. It appeals to both the liberals (strong gov't, discipline for underachievers, stringent public schooling system, public welfare programs, health awareness) and the conservatives (strong military, gov't subsidiaries to corporations, elimination of the current public schooling system, class segregation).

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I'll tell you whats wrong with America.

It's the people that think AMERICA is the problem. Instead of saying "the education is bad, maybe that is because too many kids # around in class instead of paying attention" everyone wants to get beuracratic about it and say the government needs to fix it.

Thats BULL#. The parents need to get off their lazy asses and teach thir kids to read if they arent learning in school.

Another thing, I am sick of all the people in this country that constantly criticise the US. GET OVER IT OR GET OUT! If it's so bad here, LEAVE.

Nox

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
I'll tell you whats wrong with America.

It's the people that think AMERICA is the problem. Instead of saying "the education is bad, maybe that is because too many kids # around in class instead of paying attention" everyone wants to get beuracratic about it and say the government needs to fix it.

Thats BULL#. The parents need to get off their lazy asses and teach thir kids to read if they arent learning in school.

Another thing, I am sick of all the people in this country that constantly criticise the US. GET OVER IT OR GET OUT! If it's so bad here, LEAVE.

Wow.
I don't know if this was directed at me or not but...

hopefully most people took my posts for the satyre they were intended to be.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join