It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US spending millions on activist technology (I see this back-firing)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

The United States Government is spending millions of dollars developing technology to help pro-democracy activists in the Middle East and China.

Washington is promoting a "panic button" application that a pro-democracy activist can press to automatically delete phone's entire address book and simultaneously transmit a warning to other activists. Washington has budgeted 50 million dollars since 2008 for activist projects that include developing systems to get round internet-blocking firewalls.

"We are working with a group of technology providers, giving small grants," The BBC quoted senior State Department official Michael Posner, as saying. "We are looking for the most innovative people who are going to tailor their technology and their expertise to the particular community of people we're trying to protect," he added.

He said the State Department is committed to pressing these programmes and conceded that some of these technologies could fall into wrong hands. "The goal here is to protect people who are, in a peaceful manner, working for human rights and working to have a more open debate," he said. (ANI)

That's nice and all that we're giving the ability for these "activists" to be heard and not oppressed, but am I the only one that feels that this technology could wind up in the wrong hands? Unless, the hands that the tech is in, are already "wrong" as it were. Interesting little tool, but I ponder the implications if it were to be used in reverse so to speak.

Article Sources:
Big News Network
Daily India
WebIndia123

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Seems like any concept, product, service or intelligence that can be twisted to promote and further the agenda of TPTB behind the USA government will be put into use to serve the sinister. When it comes to achieving the great unknown goal (NWO?) the only things going to waste are the minds & imaginations of millions of Americans that supply the slave labor, a portion of their earned income, natural resources, and the lives of those who have died under the iron fist of manipulation.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Yes, and what they don't tell you is that they can use the software to trace any activist........that would be my guess.

Conclusion: the activists are a threat to the cockroaches in power. Keep on keeping on everybody!

new topics

join