It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coalition Jets Pound Republican Guard Near Baghdad; Chemical Attack Feared

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 09:48 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

Monday, March 24, 2003

Advancing on Saddam Hussein's hub of power, coalition planes and helicopters pummeled Iraqi Republican Guard forces just south of Baghdad Monday as ground forces got to within 50 miles of the capital city in the midst of blinding sandstorms.

"Coalition forces are closing in on Baghdad," Maj. Gen. Stanley McChrystal of the Joint Staff Operations said Monday.

There is growing worry Iraqi Republican Guard units could start using chemical weapons as coalition land forces draw nearer to Baghdad, U.S. officials confirmed to Fox News.

The officials cited multiple intelligence reports that Iraqi units may have been ordered to unleash chemical weapons, but cautioned that reports of specific geographic locations, or so-called lines to-be-crossed drawn up by Iraqi leadership, are premature.

CBS News reported that the Republican Guard had been authorized to use chemical weapons on coalition troops once they crossed a "red line" that Iraqi leadership had drawn around Baghdad. The report was unconfirmed.

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Don't be surprised if we drop a big fat VX bomb on them to beat them to it.

Those RG's are going to fight hard, they have absolutely nothing to lose but their lives.

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I know one thing i'm getting tired of this PC war.

Lets go in and FRAG the MotherF***ers.

Alls FAIR IN LOVE & WAR and war is nasty..Enough is enough already.

posted on Mar, 25 2003 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Its time for M.O.A.B

posted on Mar, 25 2003 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Is that we are handicapping ourselves going into this... Previously in warfare, minimizing civilian casualties in city invasion was not a concern. It will be interesting to see how they handle this situation, so Franks better have some kind of ace up his sleeve. Not that I think it can't be done, just that it will be hard to do "clean".

The one thing I can think of, is non-lethal weapons. With these, you COULD attack the civilian population, then go in and weed out the military elements, and then the civilians would be fine afterwards (though not exactly friendly...). Will be interesting to see...as the other option, inspiring them all to surrender, isn't likely to occur...

new topics

top topics

join