It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discussion of Radio / Music as Mass Governmental Mind Control

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Based on personal observations over the last 40 years, this thread contains my thoughts on music as a governmental mind control method. I first started thinking about this in the late sixties and early seventies when it seemed that music was geared toward divorce, breaking down marriage, and promoting drug use. If the government wanted to study the effects music had on the general population, they would need a �control group� where the influence of change could be seen within a few years. In addition, the ideal �control group� would be one that already has a tracking system in place, i.e., paper trail. The DIVORCE RATE would fit those criteria! I watched first-hand the changes society went through in the 60�s and 70�s and to say the least, the increases in the divorce rate and the use of drugs were dramatic!

Radio and music is first and foremost the strongest and most prolific way to reach and influence the population as a whole! Think about Orwell�s �War of the Worlds� radio broadcast and the effect it had on the nation. Was this one of the first tests done? At what point in radio�s coming of age did someone say, �I want to research radio as a mind control option.�? I am sure it did happen, but the question is by whom and when? Even today, with all of our technology, radio and music is still by far the widest reaching. It crosses borders, ethnic backgrounds and ideology. Even more so, it is a conditioned part of our everyday environment! Can you imagine how the government would fine-tune this media, once controlling the general population via music was proven viable?
Someone pointed out to me that the most obvious is also the most overlooked!

Look at some these links that are related to this discussion subject:

NSA Mind Control and Psyops

www.geocities.com...

This article on the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Phish etc:

www.rense.com...

The Aquarian Conspiracy

www.econcrisis.homestead.com...

Do you have personal insights of music creating polarization or the formation of alliances on a targeted group. How do you think the government could orchestrate and control something so far-reaching such as the music, television and entertainment industry?

I fully realize that this topic is able to encompass many facets of governmental control. I only hope that maybe by the light of the collective intelligence within ATS, we can put some of the pieces together!

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I highly doubt it. What music were you listening to that promotes divorce? Was it "I Need You" by the Beatles or "(You're My) Soul and Inspiratin" by the Righteous Brothers?

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I don't think the government is together enough to pull off this kind of universal mind control.
Now, maybe they have somethng to do with the quality, or should I say lack of quality, of music and entertainment today. But, that is more an economic issue and part of the dumbing down of America.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I do not think that music has been used as a Mind Control device.

In one of the articles (www.rense.com...), the write forgets all the music that existed before his birth, starting with Jazz, in the final years of the XIX century.

Also, if the music in the 60's was made to control minds, why that music does not have the same effects today?

And even if the music had some kind of hypnotic effect, why did a lot of people disliked that music?

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Klezmer music is a form of mind control

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Correction....music is not mind control. However, Popular Music may be! I think we live in a time where popular music breeds "brand name", although I dont think it has much to do with the government of course. I am a Jazz musician and I have never heard "government mind-control" in most music. Although I wouldn't doubt there is "product placement" in music when you hear things like pop musicians and rappers talking about how they love Nike or how its cool to drink Crystal. Plus, these "musicians" (I use this term lightly) are breeding grounds for style and clothing to help the masses determine what is "cool"!

Now, if that isn't mind control then I dont know what is!

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Jazzerman, your definately on the right track. All you really have to do is check out the popular music we're shown through media at this time. Hip-hop, at the moment, is one of the most popular forms of music...look at some of the top ranking artists, and biggest selling records (of the moment of course)...look at that they're rapping about, and what their videos are showing.

Count the ammount of hip hop videos that have extremely hot women, expensive cars, and thousand dollar jewerly being advertised...it's all the 'ideal' image being portrayed onto viewers, just like any advertisement.

In this case, the government isn't in control, corporations are. Look at Usher, again one of the most popular names out there. Do you know he recently got his own credit card? Do you know how many young women will be running to get this?

Did Usher get this idea by himself, and set up a company, or do you think he got huge corporate backing, and they did it all for him after he signed a piece of paper, reaping millions of dollars?

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   
anjeeeee...good point. Just like everything else in life we are controlled by corporations...just like our government. Just look at American Idol (even though its a stupid competition) which is nearly totally controlled by both the corporations and media. Those poor kids don't realize they are signing their lives away by being on that show...they are essentially owned by record companies. Remember all those stupid commercials with the American Idol contestants trying to act like Ford, Subway, etc. are "cool". Well, people that cant think for themselves (which I'm starting to think is a lot of the population) see this and are essentially being "mind-controlled" by these companies.

There are a lot of good forms of music left, however, they rarely get the airplay or time dedicated to them by the media that "Popular" music does. To these people music is nothing more than $$$$. These are the people that are ruining the future of music by releasing mindless dribble from countless Britney Spears and Snoop Dog clones....

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
There definately is a lot of good music that doesn't get any airplay...

Although, there are artists in the mainstream culture that are popular, but have good things to say at the same time.

Kayne West, who is gaining popularity, actually has a lot of good messages in his newest album (from what i hear). Like anyone trying to get their records sold, they must make a couple of catchy songs to get their name out. Their 'hits' are what get them and their messages spread through the music world.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I think we all agree that music/art/entertainment/media all have some kind of effect on our mind. Yes?

Perhaps we can work toward some definitions, like -

Sonic Mind Control = programming the INDIVIDUAL listener through unconsciously detected frequencies and other subversive "sounds" we don't actually "hear". This would be a physical phenomenon that would modify the brain chemistry or brain wave frequencies or whatever, but would eventually manifest itself as a "thought" or a "feeling" we wouldn't have "had" without the sonic stimulus, perhaps resulting in an action or an attitude.

This is what is apparently going on with techno, trance, and rave music? Some sort of Theta wave stimulation...?

Social Mind Control = programming a TARGET GROUP of listeners through broadcast repetition and social conditioning to adopt a certain set of values, then encouraging actions and attitudes consistent with those values.

This is the type of thing implied by the Aquarian Conspiracy, and the manipulation of the media by the NWO / Round Table Groups / Tavistock / Stanford, etc. etc.

These are my definitions - just trying to establish a grounds for discussion.
I think both methods of programming have been and are being used - by whom, and to what degree, I do not know.

I am interested in trying to figure it out, though. Thanks RealFlight
Here's another music / mind control site I ran across -
www.illuminati-news.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I would have to disagree with the Popular music as a mind control tool. I believe you mean Mainstream music, not popular music. Everyone should know this,

Popular music and Mainstream music are 2 totally different things

e.g. NOFX is popular but not mainstream

[edit on 8/22/2004 by s13guy]

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
[edit on 10/2/2004 by esther]

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Nice post esther. Very well thought, thorough and to the point.

I believe the lyrics to the decline are also worth reading. its the best politcal 18 min song ever imo. I made thread which has the song and the lyrics in it. Now u can download it and follow along cuz i got a host =] The Decline

[edit on 8/22/2004 by s13guy]

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
s13guy...no, I meant Pop music. "Mainstream" is a term denoted by the public to describe music that the general population listens to, and is not a musical term. "Pop" music, or Popular, is a musical genre' that was started first by Swing musician Benny Goodman in 1935, although this style of music has now evolved past that point. What I refer to is "Pop" music from a general time frame of starting in the 1980's-Present. The term "Mainstream" is not a musical term, and therefore I do not use it as such.

PS- NOFX is not included in the "Pop" category, as they virtually contain no musical resemblance to Pop music in neither Form nor timing. Music is grouped into different categories and genre's for reasons that go beyond what the general public thinks. If music resembles another piece of music in Form, timbre, etc. they become a genre' because of that reason.

For instance, the thing that makes Swing Jazz different than say Bebop, Cool, Hard Bop, etc. is that it utilizes "swinging" 8th notes, and often startes before the beat.

"Mainstream" is not a category because it could virtually define any and all music that was ever listened to by a mass audience, and since for instance Swing Jazz was listened to by a mass audience does not make it "Mainstream"...as there is nothing to believe this style of music has any mind-controlling effects...I know, because I am a Jazz musician!

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
[edit on 10/2/2004 by esther]

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Honestly I feel that if the government were going to use music as mind control they would do it with trance. Trance has the ability to put you in certain moods by using certain tones. I've listened to some songs that take you on an emotional rollercoaster. Now I know Trance is not the only music that envokes feelings and takes you on a journey. Classical music did this an still does this, it takes you on a journey and tells you a story. However, I think trance does a better job because it in a way hypnotises you, or puts you in a trance and then plays with your emotions.
Thats pretty close towards mind control if you ask me

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman
"Mainstream" is a term denoted by the public to describe music that the general population listens to, and is not a musical term.

"Music that the general population listes to", hmm last time i checked popular meant commony liked or approved by a majority. Mainstream is music that is pushed and endorsed by the mainstream media (e.g. MTV, KIIS fm, power 106, KROQ etc...)

It depends what kind of music your talking about, pop music "is either an abbreviation of popular music or, more recently, a term for a sub-genre of it." Pop does not always mean Popular, it can but it doesnt. I was talking about the abbreviation, not the sub-genres.

www.wordiq.com...
Popular music, sometimes abbreviated to pop music, is music belonging to any of a number of contemporary musical styles that are broadly popular. A narrower sense of the term, usually "pop music", covers mainstream music that does not fall into any more specialized style such as jazz or hip hop. In the broader sense, "popular music" means any sort of music intended for mass consumption and propagated over the radio and similar media.

"Pop" music, or Popular, is a musical genre' that was started first by Swing musician Benny Goodman in 1935, although this style of music has now evolved past that point.

The "Pop" you are refering to is a genre of many sub-genres. There isnt a "Pop" type of music like there is punk rock, rap, country. Its more of a blanket term like Emo music.

What I refer to is "Pop" music from a general time frame of starting in the 1980's-Present

which includes the genres of: progressive rock, punk, disco, hip-hop, funk, metal, alternative, new wave, techno, new age, and soul, to name a few.

The term "Mainstream" is not a musical term, and therefore I do not use it as such

Neither is Pop a musical term, its just a category thats has a bunch of other genres in it as i previously explained. It isnt a genre, but a genre of sub-genres.

PS- NOFX is not included in the "Pop" category, as they virtually contain no musical resemblance to Pop music in neither Form nor timing.

Ah now your talking about the pop music that features simple, memorable melodies with catchy, sing-along choruses (Blink 182, sum 41), and instrumentally features heavy use of synthesiser backing. I'll give you that, NOFX doesn't have pop in it, but it is Popular music in the abbreviated sense as previously explained.

Music is grouped into different categories and genre's for reasons that go beyond what the general public thinks.

Really? besides categorizing music according to musical, or literary composition characterized by a particular style, why else would music grouped into different categories?? i sure would like to know =]

If music resembles another piece of music in Form, timbre, etc. they become a genre' because of that reason.

umm.... no

For instance, the thing that makes Swing Jazz different than say Bebop, Cool, Hard Bop, etc. is that it utilizes "swinging" 8th notes, and often startes before the beat.

ok ill give you that bc i dont know anything about jazz lol. though i dont know how that supports your previous statement..

"Mainstream" is not a category because it could virtually define any and all music that was ever listened to by a mass audience

What? I never said Mainstrem was a genre or category, but a definition. I thought I already established that. Popular can be mainstream, but it does not have to. Again, NOFX is popular not mainstream.

and since for instance Swing Jazz was listened to by a mass audience does not make it "Mainstream"

I never said popular music was mainstream. Swing Jazz would then be popular, not mainstream. I thought I already established that in my 1st post.

as there is nothing to believe this style of music has any mind-controlling effects

Jazz? Maybe if it was mainstream

I know, because I am a Jazz musician!

awsome... musicians pwn evryone!!

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I don't think so.
Cause during the 60's and early 70's would'nt the government have banned some of those anti-war songs from playing? Because of the protestors during the Vietnam War?
Like CCR's "Fortunate Son" for example.

"Paranoia will Destroya"
The Kinks

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   
So is there a larger agenda that determines which "popular" music gets promoted and marketed to the masses?

Does music that supports that agenda, knowingly or not, have a better chance for mainstream success?

Anybody know what's currently in heavy rotation at the Tavistock Institute?

top topics

join