It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get out of California before the next big quake!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gab1159
Yes, OP. I think it would be a great idea to move out of Cali. A quake is imminent imo. California is the only "corner" of the Ring of Fire that didn't shake yet. Japan, Chile, New Zealand, I think Cali is ready to go. The worst thing in this...it's a subduction zone, meaning it would just sink into the ocean.

And I think it would be wise to move out of every dangerous zone (volcanos, seismic zones...)

But I know some people can't because they're trapped into society (jobs they can't quit, as an example).

BTW, the San Andreas is not a subduction zone, it is a large transform fault. Only above the Medoccino triple junction do you have subduction. This subduction zone created the Cascades which are active volcanoes, and they extend into northern CA. Central and southern CA used to be a subduction zone very similar to what the Andes are today when the dinosaurs walked the earth. The earthquakes on the one map were all under 5. The Richter scale is a logarithmic scale which means a 4.0 magnitude quake is 100,000 times smaller than a 9.0. I
You see we in California have no concept of Seismology, this new science that was just developed over 100 years ago. We just worship the earth mother, and smoke pot, and figure out new ways to drive businesses out of the state and just do whatever we can to piss off every other state, etc, etc.

M

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Gab1159

I forgot to add that I am very glad you are not "trapped" in society.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Another day, another California Earthquake prediction.
Every single day as been predicted for the 'big one' to hit the Cali region from as far back as records show and up to the next 15 or so years.
California is an obvious prone area sitting on a time bomb and when it inevitably happens (again) it will be more a cause for celebration and martyring of someone who 'got lucky' with their stab in the dark of when it will happen.
Much pant wetting excitement will be happening on this very site while the rest of us normal people will feel sad that a major disaster has taken place.
Predicting a 'big one' in Cali is like predicting the winning horse at the grand national, a big prediction but inevitably someone has to 'win'.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gab1159
And I think it would be wise to move out of every dangerous zone (volcanos, seismic zones...)

They better find another planet then!

Tsunami's possible on just about every coast-line, not just the so-called "ring-of-fire".
Midwestern United States has the New-Madrid fault, which could be just as deadly as the San Andreas fault.
In the Pacific North-West United States, there are ton's of volcano's.
Of course, Yellow Stone is one gigantic super/mega-volcano.
Wild-fires in the South-West.
Tornado's all through the Mid-West and central states.
Blizzards all through the North (from coast to coast).
Hurricane's all over the Atlantic (including infamous "Nor-Easter's").
... and all that's just North America!
Typhoon's in the Pacific.
Volcano's all over the place.
Asteroid and/or Comet impact's in Siberia.
Extinction-event impact in the Yucatan.
Meteor impact sites in North America, Australia, Siberia, and the more scientists look at satellite imagery - the more they find.
... and that's just the natural disasters!
Radio-active zone's in Fukushima Japan, and Chernobyl (former USSR).
Toxic-waste dumps all over the place (especially 3rd world, where nobody's there to know about it).
Oil spills in the gulf.
War in Libya, Iran and Afghanistan/Pakistan.

Where is somebody going to go? Antarctica?
How long before people figure out that's the only "safe" place, and start a war over it?

My Plan: I'll take my chances in Southern California / Arizona Bay.

edit on 2011-4-10 by EnhancedInterrogator because: My plan added.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
some people are being really ignorant telling us that we should move, ok i get it but if everyone has to move from "dangerous" places then we would have to live in a very small part of the world, so stop with that, we all gonna die someday.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
See here's the reality of this thread. OP can do as he pleases. He can make all the doom and gloomers he wants.
Because the thing is, no one is listening. Even if moth man was flying up and down the coast holding a sign that said something like, " Hey Cali peeps, I hear nevada's nice this time of year" and eyeweakness news had film of it at ELEVEN
? No one is going to split. It's just to damn comfortable here.

edit on 10-4-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

The thing that makes this thread null and void is? They havn't shut down any nuclear power plants. So what good would it do to run ? One more plant goes down like in Japan were toast for sure. And we prolly are anyway. This
is the end of the fourth world. The beginning of the fifth. Get use to it, it's not so bad.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
If I had five cent's for every thread about cali getting a doom quake I would have enough to move there just to experience it.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Wouldn't it be funny if there was a super earthquake and instead of CA falling into the ocean, the rest of the USA does

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
In the End, what will be will be. Its already mapped out for each and every one of us IMO and moving aint gonna change a thing.

That old saying ' live every day as if it were your last' should be everybodys motto and also ponder on another wonderful few words by TS Elliot:

'In my end is my beginning'

Dont sweat the small stuff peeps, make sure you are as prepared as possible for ANY eventuality in your lives and get on with smelling the roses.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I live in Los Angeles.. the dangers that come with residing here are an everyday thought for me and my wife. Especially recently with the radiation coming from Japan. I just wanted to speak for those of us that live here, yet aren't stupid, superficial or unaware of the possibilities of danger that we face. There are just too many factors in a debate like this to limit it to one reason or an ultimatum of 'leave or die'. I'm a musician and at this point in my life, in order to pursue the kind of career I envision for myself, I need to be here. I live paycheck to paycheck, teaching private lessons and doing freelance studio work and touring. What many of you have suggested is absolutely true for me.. to up and move would be financially reckless. In fact, I pretty much just plain couldn't do it. Like I said, it's been scary with what's going on in Japan, and my wife and I have been trying to have enough money set aside to at least get us to her parents farm in Iowa if we deemed it necessary. But that leads us into the other aspect of the choice I've made by living here.. what risk is worth it to somebody? Well, it depends on the person. Am I going to live my life according to fear? And don't say 'it's not fear, it's reality.. there WILL be an earthquake in California'. Okay, yes, there will be. Will I die from it? Will it cause enough destruction to disrupt my life? Who knows? And like others have pointed out, nowhere is entirely safe. I could move to Omaha because I was scared of an earthquake in California and end up dying in a car accident. What happens when I DO move, like so many suggest, sacrifice my career and my fiances, and while sitting in an apartment in Atlanta or god-knows-where 3 years from now, I see on the news that a 6.8 hit LA and essentially wasn't all that catastrophic.. I can imagine I'd feel pretty deflated having let fear dictate my destiny.

My point is.. just don't accuse those who chose to stay here of things like being preoccupied or not caring about the signs or distracted or stupid or whatever.. again, this is something I deal with every day, seeing threads like this, or wondering if it's 'the big one' when the floor rumbles before realizing it was a truck going by. Trust me, I'm scared poop-less. I chose to live here because I want to, because I see it as my best chance for happiness and fulfillment in this life and with my music, and I guess you could say it's something I'm willing to die for.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

Just out of curiosity OP, what state or country do you live in?

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

Planning a bit of looting eh?, Nice

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Where is that young lady who told us in her virdeos to pack up and run for the hills, because at the, when was it, the ourth of may california will be hit, or something, by an earthquake? Where has she gone? Has she died of shame?

edit on 10-4-2011 by CarlitosAmsel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Quick! Everyone near the Circum Pacific line and the Trans Euro Asian line FLEE! So.. if you are in Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, San Francisico, Oakland, San Jose, Los Angelas, San Diego.. pack your bags! Also, this goes for Mexico City, Guatemala City, Kingston, Caracas, Quito, LIma, Santiago De Chili, Taipei, Osaka, Tokyo, Lisbon, Algiers, Burarest, Istanbul.... etc. etc.

While you are at it, if you live in the storm belt where tornadoes are common, on any coast where hurricanes frequent, in any country torn by the chance of war, I'd have to HIGHLY suggest moving IMMEDIATELY!

Or in other words: there are dangerous places all over the world, for one reason or an other. And people know they are dangerous. Yet they continue to live there. Why? Because it's their HOME. They have friends, family, and possibly a bit of nationalism for whatever state or country they live in, and they are willing to risk dangers that location has to live their live where and how they want to live it. Or.. they simply can't afford to pack up and move.

To be fair, many major cities are actually well protected against Earthquakes. In Chile, 486 people died (562 by international estimates) as a result of the 8.8 earthquake that pounded the city. From the pictures, where buildings are cracked literally in half, and bridges and parking garages collapsed, this is an amazingly low #. Because they are well prepared for an earthquake. Compare to Haiti, where building codes are NOT the same.

In the U.S., the cities most apt to get hit with a big earthquake have building codes that prevent major damage. Japan was devastated by the tsunami, not the earthquake. San Francisco is much more at danger from fire than from an earthquake. So while your advice might come out of concern for people living in these cities, you have to realize.. it's not as bad as you think it is, and people are well aware of earthquakes there. When I lived in San Francisco, I felt earthquakes all the time. I was fully aware of the dangers, and was well prepared to my my OWN decision based on the danger and the quality of life there.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

they are basically ' scared and immobile ' mentally, while going on with daily routine blocking out the possibility there very well could be an devastating earthquake.
reply to post by steven704

That is what is known as a normalcy bias. It's unfortunate that there are still many people caught up in that mindset in spite of many cataclysmic events looming in the near future, on many levels.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
And go where? Where is it stable in the world? Where could you live that won't be impacted by a major quake? We have areas in the United States where there are high levels of radiation. Economic impacts have yet to be felt, from the devestation in Japan. U.S.? A major quake could ruin the world economy.

Where are you, OP, going to live? In a yurt somewhere in Siberia? A peak in the Andes? Gotta bunker somewhere?

Just telling people to move would create a country of refugees. What do you do AFTER telling people to move? Or have you thought that far ahead?

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by manticorex5
if i had to bet on a big earthqueake i would say Alaska not Cali.

Hmmmm, I'll up the ante and place my bet on the New Madrid for now. NLE May 2011? Pray for the best, prepare for the worst, regardless of where you're located. In the end, you can run, but you can't hide for long. Living in fear may be counterproductive to survival. Que sera, sera.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join