It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Xbox In Development?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Looks like Microsoft is beginning to develop a new console. I hope it has at least 2 GB of dedicated RAM and at least a 1 GB video card (2 GB video card would be more up to date). Maybe consoles will eventually become modifiable like computers. Upgrading computer hardware gets expensive and I don't like playing my games on my computer. Despite still being stuck with 5-year-old 512 MB graphics hardware in the console, I'm very impressed with my Xbox 360 Slim 250 GB.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
as long as it plays all my 360 games , i'm in!!

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

I'm sure it would. They would be morons for not including backward compatibility.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I hope this is the be all and end all of xbox consoles and you can just add to it at a cost...how wrong I am

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Really cant wait to see the outcome of this.... hope they manage to sort out the Red Ring of Death

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
i am in anyways.. As games journalist i even get payed to be in

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Please NO CAMERAS in the next Xbox! Upgrade the memory, hard drive, graphics, audio, but for the love of God, stop watching me masterbate in front of my game consoles Microsoft!

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Grifter.be

Are you an online games journalist or do you work at an office? Is training required? I still want to do something in the gaming industry.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I went through 5 xboxs in two years not to mention the number of games that system managed to destroy.

I have had a ps3 now for about a year and had no issues with the system eating games or breaking down; so far. The system has free online play in contrast to paying $50 bucks for it on xbox and they have most of the same games as well as some better exclusives.

Before you jump down my throat about not knowing how to use a gaming system, I have owned every single system from atari until now and never had an issue with any of them. In fact, when I feel like some nostalgia I power them up.

Microsoft would need to design a brillant machine to get me to buy anything from them again...

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by SlyingFaucers

Their previous 360 models were really bad, but the new slim one is good. I have it and it's very quiet and it exhausts heat quite well - plus the hard drive has tons of space. There have been many people who had the yellow light of death for the PS3, so it's not exclusive to Microsoft. I have a PS3 and never had any problems with it though. Most multi-platform games look slightly better on the 360 and the online interface is much better, but that's mainly because the 360 is easy to program for. The PS3 has a significant advantage with its cell processor when much processing is needed in a big game, but they won't even reach its full potential for another 2 years or so. Both consoles have advantages.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I heard a while back that the new xbox was suppose to be called the "Xbox720" with a production date aimed around 2015 or 2016.
Do not know how true it is though.
Rumours

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned0625

Are you an online games journalist or do you work at an office? Is training required? I still want to do something in the gaming industry.

I started out seven years ago as an online editor, and soon grew to editor in chief. Meanwhile i work for few magazines and i am still doing that. Depends what you want to do! You can either make games, test them, direct them, program them, pre/review them (which is what i do, write about games and play them on press events). As for training or education... Well it helps if you did journalism schooling, but that is not always necessary....

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Writing about them and previewing them is what I would like to do. Should I contact a company directly via phone or email about a position? I wonder if IGN or Xbox Magazine are looking for journalists or editors.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Condemned0625

Are you American?

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Yes. I was born in the US and I live in Texas.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
The current consoles we're already using GPUs that were out of date when they were released. It'll be even worse by the time they actually get their new ones out the door. I really hope they don't try to stick to the 10 year life they want for the current consoles.

Pretty much every PC gamer that I know of, myself included, can't wait for the next-gen consoles because developers might finally put out some games that will take PCs to their limits.

Come on Microsoft and Sony, we're tired of ancient consoles holding back the video game industry.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by warbird03

The next console games won't really take PCs to their limits because a 1 or 2 GB GPU will be used. Video cards with that amount of RAM are already in use for gaming computers and now you can install 2 of the 2 GB cards via SLI or Crossfire and your graphics power would be insane, but there are no games that even use 1 GB of video memory yet. All I've seen as the recommendation for any modern game is at least a 512 MB GPU. It seems like computer hardware is accelerating and these manufacturers are upgrading the technology so quickly that it's already far beyond what games require to run.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned0625

The next console games won't really take PCs to their limits because a 1 or 2 GB GPU will be used. Video cards with that amount of RAM are already in use for gaming computers and now you can install 2 of the 2 GB cards via SLI or Crossfire and your graphics power would be insane, but there are no games that even use 1 GB of video memory yet. All I've seen as the recommendation for any modern game is at least a 512 MB GPU. It seems like computer hardware is accelerating and these manufacturers are upgrading the technology so quickly that it's already far beyond what games require to run.

If Microsoft and Sony stick to the 2015 release that they mentioned before, then it's entirely conceivable that they could use a GPU with 4 GB GDDR5. By then, the PC market will be far beyond that. You're right, modern games rarely use more than 512 MB to 1 GB. Once again, it goes back to developers working with 6+ year old technology with the consoles at the same time they're developing for PC.

It's a bit of a dilemma to release a new console. If you go for a long life for them like the current generation, they grow outdated. If you include state of the art technology at the time of release to counteract that, you have to jack up the price. If you make it more affordable, it's outdated within a couple years. The only real solution is a modular design and developing games that scale with what hardware is installed, but at that point you may as well just buy a PC.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

They just need to make consoles customizable for upgrades. They could sell Xbox 720 and PS4 motherboards separately with upgraded GPUs in them and maybe even sell more RAM. It would definitely draw the attention of some PC gamers and they would make more money from it. All they need to do is stop worrying about modders so much and just make it all customizable without voiding the warranties. People will inevitably hack and mod their game systems, so Microsoft and Sony just need to get with the program and do it if they really want to compete with the PC industry.
edit on 4/10/2011 by Condemned0625 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Condemned0625

At that point they may as well just release an OS for PC that's dedicated to gaming. They can't come up with upgradable parts for consoles as it is now because developers that focus on consoles create their games so specifically for the hardware that the consoles have. Introduce more hardware variables and they have to put more time, effort and money into developing games for them. It's that exact same scenario that's the reason DirectX was created for PC.

new topics

top topics

join