It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tried to Hire a Homeless Man Today

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

Just wanted you to know I really enjoyed your OP, intuition tells you that what you went out and actually did, would turn out like your situation did. You should have had a camera man with you...

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

I'm sincerely not impressed by the amount of work these people put in to avoid an honest days work.

Not impressed? You seem very impressed. And what is 'honest', anyway? Bustin your ass for a fast food chain fo 5 bucks an hour?? Digging a ditch for some rich guy?

I'm not defending street bums. I'm just saying why put so much energy into hating something that doesn't effect you at all? Unless your jealous.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Originally posted by Reflection
reply to post by angus1745

Wow! Condemning the homeless!

See, this is the problem I have with people that think like you do. You only look at the surface (the lazy, beggar), but never take into consideration the root of the problem, which is their development as a child.

All homeless people used to be innocent children that more than likely were not cared for!

Condemning these people is absurd!

I was raised by a worthless Mother with hate and hunger my only experience, thats after my dad died and stopped trying to shoot us or burn us to death every weekend while the only food money went to his drink...should I used the horrors of my childhood to excuse what I am today? NO... telling people that their horrible childhood excuses them from today's behavior is why our prisons are crowded!

Again, you are another example of someone projecting your PERSONAL experiences onto someone else. It's great that you were able to overcome those negative things in your life, but your situation is unique to you and you only. You still have no clue what some random person on the street had to go through. Just like you don't know what I've had to go through.

Besides, you are definitely in the minority if you have risen above your negative experiences. It is a fact that there is virtually NO social mobility, especially in the U.S. Which means if you are born poor, more that likely you will be a poor adult. It is also a fact that poverty is the number 1 cause of negative human behavior and crime.

Really I would think you would be more understanding and compassionate, considering the hardships you've personally had to endure. As well as being grateful that you were able to overcome the odds.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I was homeless by choice for several years about a decade ago. I never begged. I ate out of dumpsters and worked odd jobs or busked for food every now an then. It was a blissful life, to be honest.

But every now and then, I would come across one of those angry 'my job/life sucks' guys who would take time out of his busy, important day to lecture me on how I was 'lazy' and should take a shower and get a job. He'd accuse me of being a welfare bum (nope), of being a thief (nope), a druggie (nope), etc, in hopes of validating his martyred sense of self worth. As if the only way to 'grow u' was to have a crappy job and bills. LOL.

It really was predictable. It would happen about once a month, and you could often see them coming; Angry, frustrated, castrated men who are pissed that their life sucks, so they take it out on those who they perceive as having some freedom. Sometimes I could have a good conversation with them, once they got over their initial anger (which had little to do with me), and they could listen to my perspective. I swear one or two may have quit their jobs because of me, or at least simplified their lives. But, for the most part, they just needed an outlet for their frustrations, and 'welfare bums' were just an easy target for them, regardless of applicability or accuracy.

Conversely, though, for every one of those guys there were hundreds of people who showed true charity, not from trying to give money, but from sharing food, sharing space, taking the time to share humanity and humility. I take that ratio to be an example of how people are, for the most part, good, true and sincere.

And yes, I knew these professional bums you are talking about, OP. They were all pretty shadey, IMO. I never knew why people gave them money, but it seems pretty obvious that it was guilt. These guys knew how to work it, and if giving them money helped alleviate some of their feelings of guilt over their middle-class privilege, well, then I guess those bums were providing a service.

But here's something to ponder; most of them worked for sort of homeless syndicates who 'owned' good corners, and who took a cut. THAT is likely why he didn't leave his post. He would get in big trouble. Those types are the drunk/drug addicted homeless, who could make 40k a year and still spend it all on crack and booze. So they run in packs to protect each other. OUR type and THEIR type rarely mixed.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
ITS A SCAM.

I gave one of those guys 2 bucks once and he added it to a roll of bills that would choke a horse.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Unfortunately op the world is whole shades of gray, and in this case the dude was a lazy bum who takes advantage of peoples generosity and probably makes more money off that then if he had a real job. But like I said the wold is all kinds of shades of gray, and there are real homeless people out there who would take your 20$ job offer without a second thought because they need it, and then there is what you have experienced and everything and anything in between. In fact it would probably be prudent to do something like this, or offer them actual food or work, instead of money first, just to see if what there reactions are and to get a better grasp of why there really there on the side of the road with the sign that says "homeless and need money for food"

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Yea...it's pretty sad they're so sorry. Sometimes I'll get an extra sandwich at a fast food place to nuke later. Had a double cheeseburger on my dash and a guy comes looking for handouts. I give him the burger...but he still wants a dollar.

There's a show called Intervention. Just drug addicts being put through an intervention with their families. There was a homeless crack addict on there that could beg like a madman. They estimated that he smoked over 100,000 dollars worth of crack a year, and almost all that cash came from begging. When it's that easy for some people, there's no reason for them to work.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Pan handlers should be rounded up and put to work in the agriculture industry - Those blueberries aren't gonna pick themselves.

Watch how quick they find another job.

GM

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Maybe if you offered them a gig doing voiceovers for Kraft, they'd have taken you up on it.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by woghd
ITS A SCAM.

I gave one of those guys 2 bucks once and he added it to a roll of bills that would choke a horse.

I have one better than that! I just remembered this homeless guy a few years back. Always see him even to this day walking up and down the same street. The guys definetly homeless. So one day I pulled over, all good guy
look'in to be a do gooder. I walk up to the guy pulling a ten out of my wallet. It was like I stuck him with a hot poker. This white haired ole guy,
totally bitch slapped the ten and the wallet out of my hands, with a tremendous back hand.
He bellowed," I don't need your're damn money". Why cant you people leave me alone. He's shacking his fist at me, " Don't you know money is evil". I picked up the ten went out to the middle of the street to get my wallet and started towards my car and said, " You're a Mean ole F--ker arn't ya ".
lmao. I knew the look on my face must have been hilarious. Glad I was alone.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

See, this is the problem I have with people that think like you do. You only look at the surface (the lazy, beggar), but never take into consideration the root of the problem, which is their development as a child.

All homeless people used to be innocent children that more than likely were not cared for!

There's a big difference between homeless people and bums.

Amen to that!

Bum: Hey you got any change?

Me: No bro I'm homeless.

Bum: You don't look homeless!

Me: That's because I shower!

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I'm still on the fence about this as homelessness in my area exploded recently. going through tough financial times myself and knowing the state of our economy, I felt bad for them.

there is one prominent begger here that has a little pitbull and everyone in the community goes out of thier way to help him, well honestly, mostly the dog. so he gets a good bit of money, and all the local stores feed the dog like a princess, infact thats her name.

well one day I goto get smokes at drug store and decide to play $10 in video poker (live in vegas). as I play nickels, guess who sits next to me? princess's owner. he is clearly gacked out pretty good on meth as his eyes were popped half-way out his head and his mouth ran non-stop. this supposedly poor man is not only on drugs, he is gambling now. and what was he gambling?? quarter poker, thats $1.25 a game. in about 10 mins he dropped at least $80.

and the thing that gets me, is I think they are infact REALLY hungry. they just can't bring themselves to actually buy food. some will get foodstamps, but sooner or later they get busted selling em off for gambling scratch.

I remember getting a coupon in the mail for a free tommy burger. having a community mail room I thought to check the trash bin. I found no less then a hundred of these lying in there and decided to take them all. I went the next day to the wash where a large number of homeless live and tried to give them the coupons, and was met with alot of pissed off grins for my efforts, so screw em, never helping again.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

I was raised by a worthless Mother with hate and hunger my only experience, thats after my dad died and stopped trying to shoot us or burn us to death every weekend while the only food money went to his drink...should I used the horrors of my childhood to excuse what I am today? NO... telling people that their horrible childhood excuses them from today's behavior is why our prisons are crowded!

Again, you are another example of someone projecting your PERSONAL experiences onto someone else. It's great that you were able to overcome those negative things in your life, but your situation is unique to you and you only. You still have no clue what some random person on the street had to go through. Just like you don't know what I've had to go through.

Besides, you are definitely in the minority if you have risen above your negative experiences. It is a fact that there is virtually NO social mobility, especially in the U.S. Which means if you are born poor, more that likely you will be a poor adult. It is also a fact that poverty is the number 1 cause of negative human behavior and crime.

Really I would think you would be more understanding and compassionate, considering the hardships you've personally had to endure. As well as being grateful that you were able to overcome the odds.

THAT kind of "understanding and compassion" leads to feeling sorry for yourself, excusing yourself and NO forward movement. it is enabling behavior. if people are to change they need people to let them see themselves as they are not through rose colored glasses of "compassion". This takes away all self respect in the long run just like welfare with no mandatory public service or work to let people feel like they are earing the money, it destroys ego and leaves people empty.
This is my opinion from a life time of experience and watching many people grow and become aware and many not...

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
The homeless at the very least should be a reminder of what society can do to any of us.

Zefflin

Amen to that!

Bum: Hey you got any change?

Me: No bro I'm homeless.

Bum: You don't look homeless!

Me: That's because I shower !

Something tells me, I'd rather know the homeless guy.
edit on 9-4-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-4-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I understand your reasoning in offering this guy a chance to earnm an honest dollar.I too have fallen victim to thay sort of ploy.Here is my suggestion to you.Next time you feel the urge to help the homeless,go to the nearest homeless shelter or soup kitchen and make a donation.Those places are always in need of funding.Or volunteer some of your time to help out.Your call.At least then you know you truly are helping someone in need.Just a thought.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

$20 to rake your lawn though... huh. Back in the 90's, as a young teenager, I wouldn't take less than thirty. Thirty dollars bought a lot more Magic cards back then than it does now, for sure (I guess, I haven't played that game in years!)

Twenty bucks is nothing. Seriously, you might as well offer him a quiznos sub with chips and large soda for his time, since that's more or less what it amounts to these days. -I- wouldn't rake your lawn for twenty bucks, and I doubt you would, either. He was running a cost-benefit analysis. Is he so on the outs that he's going to spend his time doing a favor for a stranger, for chump change? 'Cause, really, at that price, he's basically giving YOU a handout.

Wow i don't know where you live but in the 90's 2-5$ was the going rate to have a kid rake a yard.
This guy said small yard, not more then an hour, thats 20$ an hour double what anyone makes in my town on average. 20$ can still buy a lot of bread and bolgna or other nutritous food, if he already had enough for food then why give him anything?

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

It was likely the trust issue....I'm not sure I'd just go with a stranger in their car either.....and being homeless, I'm sure he's been taken quite a few times by 'strangers' with offers of something or another. Even if there was little to be feared I'd imagine its hard to win their trust, partly from bad experiences in the past, and partly from an impaired judgement on their behalf....A vast amount of the homeless have severe mental health problems which has led to their situation. (usually I think its estimated to be a majority....my experience with homeless would suggest at least 50%) This is usually a slippery slope where they are healthy, and taking their psych meds and then suddenly either lose a job, or else cannot afford their meds. Once off their meds long enough, it can be a very hard time getting them back on them again (even if they could afford it). As for making more than you do....he's probably exaggerating....If he really made more than you, then he would likely not be homeless.

I will say that I've known quite a few homeless people, and I will readily admit that there is almost a clearly defined line between 'good' ones and 'bad' ones. I got to know quite a few from a roommate of mine many years ago. He actually found a large group of them, and made it his goal to become friends with them. This group I had quite a bit of respect for. a number of them had regular jobs, and they never once took advantage of my roommates friendship to try to get anything from him. Good people, all trying to get better, but at least half of them obviously had some mental issues. Now most of the ones I would run into while living in Atlanta were a different story. Many would aggressively panhandle, or would be involved in some obvious scam or another. I honestly cannot say if they were worse people, or just more desperate.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
`As a person who has worked in the Social Service field for years, I would like to commend the original poster for offering this man a job doing something...a chance to earn his money. One thing people must keep in mind, many of these people have mental illness. Many times it is untreated because they just simply do not have the ability or mental aptitude to make wise disissions. That being said, it really is unwise/ not safe to do this. Keep in mind too, that some of these individuals are "professional" homeless or con artists. They do this for a living and go home to an roof over their head and food in the cabnets.

`I read a comment where someone stated they should go through agencies for help. I totally agree with this. However, many of us in this arena of work, know all too well that the government has cut and will continue to cut funds for Social Service and corrisponding agencies. As a society, we do not want to "give them hand outs" or look at them and yet they have to go some where. Honestly, many are not hireable due to the fact that they have no address, are dirty, have mental illness, no phone, no approriate clothing.

We have to be realistic. People who can work need to work and those who do work but need help need to be rewarded. Then we have those who are societies "throw aways" and really can not go to work. They need cared for and with all the budget cuts already made, many of these people have no place to go. They should be in homes where they can be coached on daily living skills, given their medications, a payee for their government benifit money and fed. I fear that because so many people are in the system, that these truely needy people are the ones who suffer most.

I would like to see a program for those on government assistance, where the provision to get it is a job of some kind. If you do not have one, then the government would have one...I do not care if it is digging ditches or licking enveloes. Also, reward those families of the "working poor" instead of cutting them off benifits. Reward those who improve through education and find work. The way they do it now, a family is just cut off from aide in the middle of transitioning to working. This in turn, only encourages them to work less hours to qualify for a link card and medical card in order to survive.

`We must be a careful society, rewarding those who try and not penilizing them for actually doing better. I think this would be more of an insentive to contiue working. In reality, we can not just let the needy individuals go. Where would they go? We Americans are good for the most part. We want to help but we must do it in a way that is helpful and productive to the individual and not in a way that actually would have unintended negitive consequences/results.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
There is a bit of irony that the subject of homelessness shows up from time to time on a conspiracy forum. The reactions are revealing of the mindset of those who are "awake" to TPTB. The homeless and even the professional pan handlers are nothing more than those who have slipped the shackles of "society" to live how they want to live, not how others tell them to live. Some have been forced out by an uncaring system for not "complying" with social standards. Others have come to the realisation that Man does not live on bread alone. No, bread only sustains the body. Man LIVES on freedom.

There are far more walking dead in this world. The trend of the feared zombie apocalypse is more than a novel idea spawned by video games and cult movies. It is a reality starkly revealed by observing society from the outside. People do not live any more. They go to their jobs at their prescribed time. They go home to their storage spaces, turn on their programming, and are lulled into a haze where they are told what to eat, what to wear, how to think, while being entertained by mind numbing spectacles on their boob tube. They go to bed only to wake up and put that programming into action. Go to work, get your pay check, go buy those things you are programmed to buy, think like you are taught to think, wash-rinse-repeat.

All the while the world turns, seasons change, and the walls get closer and closer. The machine moves on to conquer new lands, subdue new people, and enslave still more minds into the ever growing machine. Deep within you know this is happening. Deep within you know it is unnatural. Deep within you yearn for your own escape. But you fear it. You fear the freedom of not having the machine. The machine provides your food, the machine provides your security, the machine provides self respect, the machine programs others to respect you for being a contributing member of the machine.

Still, you logon to ATS and rage against the machine. You see it. You feel it. You know it is there and it is a blight on this world. But you cannot escape it. Those that do break free or who are rejected from the machine, you laugh at, you mock, you curse, "How dare they not comply to what is expected of the machine!".

Life is not about complying with others expectations. Everyone has their own light within them to guide them in this world. Everyone has a purpose and is fulfilling it despite what the machine says about it. So a homeless man wants a beer over bread. So he isn't willing to subject himself to the machine to get it. So what if he chooses to shoot up with junk to mask his misery caused by the abuses from the machine to the soul. It is HIS life and it's purpose is to show us what we are doing to each other, to show us the destructive nature of the machine. If you do not want to give to their mission, fine, do not give. You too are are demonstrating what the machine has created. Each part has a function. The mystery of the machine is that it has a million ways to show you that it is not GOOD. Look within yourself and see what the machine has made. If you are absolutely happy within it, then you are rare. If you find you are not happy with it, then find the courage to change the machine.

I have seen the machine and it is not good. You can have it for as long as your heart can take it. Zombie Land is not for me, nor many like me. My freedom is a gift that no man nor machine can take away. Do the daisies in the field toil for the machine? Do the birds in the trees slave away for their sustenance? How can man claim to be the brightest of the creatures when he forgot so easily how to be so free?

Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven.
Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

There is none more envied by the slaves, than the one set free.

With Love,

Your Brother

edit on 9-4-2011 by IAMIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I remember a few years ago, a few friends of mine seen a homeless man so they decided to give him money. They wanted to give him a bill, whether it was 5 dollars or 10 dollars, but he said he only accepted change and didn't take the money.

I think it was like that...Or they wanted to give him change and he said he only accepts bills and didn't take the change. It was one or the other, but he didn't want the money because it wasn't how he wanted it. On top of that, he got really angry because they couldn't give it in change or a bill lol

And yes he was homeless, and they tried to give him money because he was asking people for money =/

To be honest, I would take that small job for your yard. Its a nice way to make some money and I need money right now lol. Heck I'll rake it, bag it and put it at the curb or wherever you put it

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join