It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tried to Hire a Homeless Man Today

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
First off, I seriously doubt the guy makes 800 per week!

2nd, when someone has the type of conditioning as a typical homeless person, what makes sense to you is not going to make sense to them and visa versa.

You can call it lazy, stupid, etc, but the bottom line is that the way a human develops, especially at an early age, will shape that persons outlook on life. A homeless person, more than likely, did not have their social, biological and environmental needs met beginning at a very early age. The brain becomes wired in a dysfunctional way and at a certain age, it's almost impossible to reprogram those circuits.

Never underestimate the effects of children living in poverty!
edit on 9-4-2011 by Reflection because: grammar

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by roguetechie
reply to post by onehuman

Your experience is Not in the slightest uncommon.

Before I continue I should mention that I have spent time homeless and on the streets. And when I was on the streets I would accept offers of work from PEOPLE I FELT I COULD TRUST!! I learned the hard way to carefully evaluate which offers I accepted due to working for 6 hours for a guy one time and then him telling me to F*** Off and get off his property when it came time to pay up! He also lived about ten miles from where I was staying at the time! This happens more than you'd like to think... and consequently I do NOT blame homeless people for being wary of what work they accept

I'm at a loss to understand why you did not call the police on this dirtbag? Do you think the homeless have less rights than the rest of us? Do you think they would have not helped you and made this jerk pay you for the work he contracted you for? what? I dont get it. I also find it hard to beleive all homeless would be such victims, would get exploited like that and do absolutely nothing about it. What made you be so damned meek about it??

As far as the usual workshy a-holes that the OP describes, They are almost always, lazy, addicted or mentally ill or a combination of all 3. There is no helping these losers, they are comfortable in this lifestyle despite trying to appear as in hardship. The only reason these beggars exist is because idiots give them money. If nobody ever gave them money they wouldnt die or starve, they'd just stop begging as it would be pointless.

Of course they dont want a measly 20 bucks to rake leaves. If they did they would simply need to go door-to-door offering and I'm sure they'd get plenty of takers.

Sorry, Nice Lady, they dont want your kind offer. They want the easy handouts the gullible will fork over willingly so they can feel like they helped someone out. They arent helping the homeless, if anything they are enabling drug addicts and professional scroungers.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by angus1745

Wow! Condemning the homeless!

See, this is the problem I have with people that think like you do. You only look at the surface (the lazy, beggar), but never take into consideration the root of the problem, which is their development as a child.

All homeless people used to be innocent children that more than likely were not cared for!

Condemning these people is absurd!

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
How is accepting a genuine offer any form of slavery?

Of course you are right, he is certainly not obligated to accept the offer of honest work. He is also not entitled to anything, period. Not from any other person nor any of the "despotic" nations that somehow are robbing him from the opportunity to earn money, despite the fact that a citizen of a despotic nation just offered him some.

He can choose sitting in filth, eating half eaten Whoppers out of dumpsters if he chooses and that is his right.

See how low someone would go for $20? If my kids where hungry, the concept of low with respect to honest work would in fact be pretty low.

May you never be in his position, and if ever even you, let alone your kids go hungry, I would NEVER stoop to the level of the Corporations to demean and robbed my fellow human of his honest labour, despite what I had said earlier which was only to prove a point.

And if you have read my posts on this thread, you would have known what my point is all about.

It is not enough to feed a man for a day. Most humans, less suits, are humane, and would often give a few bucks willingly, without knowing how the homeless spend it, nor want to know. We had done our part, as our heart tells us.

We, as a society, can do much more, and that is to help and guide our fellow homeless human onto better paths than the ones they presume themselves are destined for. Not every employer is a crook, or collegues back stabbers, or bankers out to get them.

There is much to learn in the real world, which you and I had the opportunity to do so and benefitted from it. We must also give such opportunity to them as well, so that none gets left behind.

It is nothing preachy, or something from the pulpit, but a fact of life and further evolution of our species. Teach him how to fish and you will feed him a lifetime. He is not an alien, but a fellow human to you and me, only lacking in patient guidance, time and opportunity today.

edit on 9-4-2011 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
The following is my experience in a similar situation a few weeks back.

About 2 weeks ago I drove into the city to pick up a few things, as I was leaving I noticed a man, woman, and child standing holding a sign that read "will work for food" Instead of giving them money to buy what ever they wanted I went to Arbys and picked up food for all 3 of them along with a sandwich for myself. After leaving the restaurant I drove over to where the family was at parked my car and had a nice lunch with 3 fellow human beings. There were no remarks like others has experienced, this family was grateful. The father wanted to go with me to do some work for the food, but I told him not to worry about it, their conversation was payment enough.

I guess my point here is that not all homeless people are professional panhandlers, the majority are just like us only difference is they are down on their luck at the moment. Just remember this next time you see a fellow human that is in this condition, not all are low lifes some genuinely need help.

We are the most charitable nation on earth. We need to stop giving to other nations and as Americans help our fellow citizens. If we do this maybe the government will butt out so real help can reach these people.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

That's it. That's all of it. I wish I could star in mobile mode. I wish I could star the hell out of that post. I wish I could have it etched into a twenty ton block of iron and drop it on the head of every politician, legislator, and beurocrat on the planet.

Theres simply no where to go.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Some of these so called "homeless" people are wealthier than I am!

Whenever I go into Boston, I always end up chilling with my friend whose lived in the Back Bay for his whole life. At first whenever we walked around, I would always make the effort to reach into my purse and grab a handful of change whenever a "homeless" person asked me for money. My friend would always try to rush me away saying that I should just ignore them. It's easy for him because he sees them every day... but since I'm from the suburbs, I'm not often asked for money, so I figure if I can easily give them the change from the bottom of my purse: why not? After all, I usually forget that the change is there (even though it's usually like $3 worth of change).

I think that's my biggest problem. I'm too nice. One night, at 2:30 am, I had just dropped my friend off at his house and some guy ran up to my drivers side window to ask for money. My friend didn't go inside his house, but instead stayed out by my car and basically stared this guy down until he went away. Of course, I was more concerned with reaching into my center change console to give him some change that I'm not gonna use, rather than to notice how inappropriate it is for a stranger to come to my drivers side window at 2:30 am and ask for money!

Needless to say, I still give change when I'm asked. Except I've changed my procedure. The first person to ask me for change gets all the coins at the bottom of my purse. Then the next person doesn't get anything because I've already given it all away. At least then I don't have to keep reaching into my purse.

I know, I totally sound like a homeless pushover... but that's my biggest problem: I'm too nice for my own good.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Dude, seriously, freeloader you see begging on the street are 9 times out of ten going to be a huckster of some kind. They don't wanna work.

I see 'em every day in Reno. Got one jerk that runs around saying he needs food for him and his daughter. He doesn't have a daughter. Another one I know refuses to get a job because then he would have to pay child support. Others do it for the beer or the bag of weed.

No thanks man. I will give to charities. Homeless shelters, and others. I have no problems giving to the homeless, I WILL NOT give to a bum.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zanti Misfit
reply to post by onehuman

It's Social Conditioning . Some of these Unfortunates have just Excepted their Fates , You more than likely Scared them with your Kindness too . This is Life.......
edit on 9-4-2011 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

I think your attitude is part of the problem. You will not see that a person is just plain unwilling or lazy or greedy when they are offered real work for pay and choose to get money off hard working people who feel like you do. If they are offered work and choose instead to beg that is the same as steeling...you probably feel poor theifs are also just "Social Conditioned' and accepting their fate...where do you draw the line? murder?

You are the enablers that keep the whole thing going, people like my sister who buys booze for her alcoholic husband, because ..he is trying...but..

We have many in our area begging at every corner, they will not go to the local charity that we have to help them and clean up even. there is one who takes scrap and makes yard art to sell, to him I don't mind giving, he works hard finding stuff and making something to sell rather then just taking.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
My God, will people please stop with all of the, "if I were him" or "if I was sitting on the street in filth, I would"...

I mean can you possibly be more short sighted?!

You didn't walk in their shoes, you have no idea what this person had to endure as a child into adulthood. I mean, are you people really that insecure about yourselves that you have to take a superiority stance over a homeless person?!

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
These 'homeless' people are trolls. Just like online trolls, don't feed them...
The faster people stop giving them money, the sooner they will go away.
Guilty people just don't understand that. They never will. They think that they are giving, and that God will bless them or some crap like that. Especially little old ladies...
There was this one chick in a wheelchair who allways was on a certain corner here in Seattle, & if you stopped and looked around, you could find her 'friend' (black dude-looks like a pimp) right down the block keepin' an eye on her...
Most of these 'homeless' people are true freaks(rapists, murderers, dope fiends, etc).
They should all be put out of "OUR" misery...

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I see a lot of people who appear to be jealous of those who have figured out a way to game the system. They are getting paid to stand around while you work for a living! And that pisses you off! Well, then quite your job and stand around with them! They aren't collecting welfare, they aren't relying on tax dollars. They have figured out that people will give them money for free! Who cares!

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

Jealous? Of being a lazy POS with no self respect? No.
I've been homeless man, never been a bum, but either way
there's nothing to be jealous of.

link   

Originally posted by Reflection

See, this is the problem I have with people that think like you do. You only look at the surface (the lazy, beggar), but never take into consideration the root of the problem, which is their development as a child.

All homeless people used to be innocent children that more than likely were not cared for!

I was raised by a worthless Mother with hate and hunger my only experience, thats after my dad died and stopped trying to shoot us or burn us to death every weekend while the only food money went to his drink...should I used the horrors of my childhood to excuse what I am today? NO... telling people that their horrible childhood excuses them from today's behavior is why our prisons are crowded!

link   
Seeing some of these responses I can see how some people can say how some of the panhandlers may not be homeless, or may just be druggies, etc. Well I have my own stories od trying to offer food instead of money, and being turned down. Instead of never offering help again, I found other ways to help. I have also been shaftee when it came to monetary donations to big charities. I did not do enough research and gave to the wrong people. Instead of giving up, I now donate food items and handmade blankets instead of money. I have helped the local food pantry every time we PCS somewhere new. The appreciation on their faces when I pull out physical food, which costed them nothing, brightens my day. I am no professional seamstress but I do my best and donate what I make to the local women's crisis centers, infant crisis center, etc. I went on craigslist one day, posted an ad that I wanted to buy fabric, and a lady sold me almost 200 yards for only $20. It costed me maybe 5 bucks for thread and boom, I warmed whoever's hiney was cold for just a few beans out of pocket. Some people may not want to be helped, so take that generosity and good intentions and apply it elsewhere.

Good post OP, you had good intentions, he just didnt want to take advantage of it.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reflection

There's a big difference between homeless people and bums.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
Dude, seriously, freeloader you see begging on the street are 9 times out of ten going to be a huckster of some kind. They don't wanna work.

I see 'em every day in Reno. Got one jerk that runs around saying he needs food for him and his daughter. He doesn't have a daughter. Another one I know refuses to get a job because then he would have to pay child support. Others do it for the beer or the bag of weed.

No thanks man. I will give to charities. Homeless shelters, and others. I have no problems giving to the homeless, I WILL NOT give to a bum.

I respect your choice.

But just becareful of your choice. There are bigger bums in several of such organisations, both illegitimate and legitimate, and are crooks whom gets the largest shares and often only dimes for those whom you wanted to give to.

Best you take some time to study their organisations and what they actively do to rehabilitate those in hardship before handing over the dough, as well as how much of your dollar is going to.

We seriously need to do more, if we are to claim civilisational status and that we care and not turn a blind eye to our fellow humans in hardships or need counselling to regain their confidence and self worth.

We arent animals, unlike some here whom are either apathetic or despise the homeless and prefer them ignored or dead, along with their children
edit on 9-4-2011 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I dont know. This thread appears to be full of comments from people displaying a serious amount of jealousy, including the OP.

If people truly didn't care about these guys, they would ignore them. I suspect to the average nine-to-fiver, struggling to pay the bills, these guys look like some sort of filthy genius. No rent, no bills, just buy drugs and get handouts. And if they can get enough suckers to support them, then more power to 'em! I sure as snip wont give them my money, or sympathy, but I'm also not going to waste time getting mad at them.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Dosn't it say a lot about peoples generosity ? In general ?
I see this as a good thing all the way around. You don't have to worry about folks like him so much.
The guy was just staying put like any one would. Where the gravy is.
The only bad thing is you had to rake your own leaves and that's got you all bent. Should have offered more. Your prolly the worst thing he sees coming at him. Someone with a job !

edit on 9-4-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

Pretty damn obvious how almost none of the people posting understand homeless people. it's very simple and there's nothing more to it than this. I have had many things go wrong in my life always had someone to help me out of a jam. There are those who have no one to help them out. By what ever the reason. So they slip thru the fingers of society and fall to the bottom of the barrel. For most it takes more than they can ever muster to get out of the barrel. They don't have what it takes. But they do learn to survive like anyone would. If you feel contempt for them. It's most likely because your afraid to feel what you should feel.
edit on 9-4-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

Agreed, I don't think they are jealous, so much as "Hey man here's an opportunity right in your face" to ignore that is rather insulting to he/she who is trying to help. Here in Reno many of these bums have EBT cards. (Food stamp debit cards) where they sell off the entire contents of it to a disreputable store and get cash. And they're STILL on the street bumming.

I'm sincerely not impressed by the amount of work these people put in to avoid an honest days work.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join