It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tried to Hire a Homeless Man Today

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schkeptick

Originally posted by Cocasinpry

Perhaps if you had a better healthcare system these people could get the physical/mental health that they need, perhaps if you country was a little more generous they could actually get some kind of free education or job training but the fact is that most people don't care at all.

When I quoted my stepmother earlier, I was quoting someone who has worked with the indigent mentally ill in Texas for YEARS. Every single county has mental health assistance that is FREE if you can't afford it, and sliding-scale if you can (pay what you can afford). As an aside, she was getting paid a pittance for it, and didn't even have health insurance herself.

Also, education in America IS free. I know this because that's how I obtained a college degree.

There are NO EXCUSES in America, Chuck.

Not so. There are alot of people that don't qualify for benefits, and alot of the mentally ill people that need the help, don't seek the help because they are well.... mentally ill. Some are lazy, some don't know how to fill out paper work and so on....

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Many of these people who claim to be homeless actually aren't. My father in law was driving the other day near one of the well known corners where people beg. He saw the guy look at his watch right at about 3PM, look around and another homeless looking dude came up and they traded places and the new guy picked up the sign and they traded shifts. He's seen people doing that multiple times. It's rediculous. Being lazy and sitting on a street corner gets them more money than most of us make doing hard work. This is why whenever I feel a twinge of sympathy for anyone who seems homeless I offer to buy them some burgers from a fastfood place. But they always insist on cash. Raises some red flags in my mind, how about yours?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by palg1

There are some real people in need too. I once offered a young lady dinner in Vancouver.
She did accept. We had a very meaningful conversation about what life had brought her.

She then thanked me for the meal and I walked her back to where she was staying, a very dilapidated old hotel. (no, nothing kinky ever crossed my mind). I made a difference for that moment and that's what counted for her.

I would do it again, but I know that I will probably get the same answers you have all been given.
They all want cash, that is, until you find that one who accepts your offer for that something that is more meaningful.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Geez you guys are still going at it? Go feed some homeless people or something. Do something useful besides arguing who can argue the best.. SOMETHING relevant. Or not.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by onehuman
I guess I am posting this because I was shocked in a odd way . I'm not even sure what shocked me more. The fact someone is claiming to be hungry, but wont do some honest work to make a few bucks, Or, The fact this same person makes more then I do standing on a corner.

Can someone tell me what is wrong with this picture?

Did you notice he was in a wheelchair?

Is that bad humor?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

Yes, that actually was in bad humor.I think I have enough sense to.... oh never mind it isnt even worth it to comment if you have stooped to that. Seems ATS seems to be developing a bad drip or something...

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DevilDog0311

I have to absolutely disagree, it is NOT only by choice people are homeless and without a job. When you have no interview clothes, home to shower, wash clothes and no address to provide to employer it is remarkably difficult to find work. If you have a criminal record kiss a job goodbye. Its especially hard to keep it even if you get the job as you have no alarm clock, transport etc it will take 2 months to get enough money for a bond to rent and basic furniture. Its a self supporting cycle the longer your homeless the harder it is to get off the streets. You finally have the problem that a lot of homeless have mental disorders (e.g. schizophrenia).

As mentioned earlier 20 bucks to come to a strangers house for a one off job that could take 3 hours with travel is not a very big incentive. There are some guys that make a reasonable money doing homeless earners and many that do not. I had a mate that worked full time 8am to 5pm 6 or 7 days a week washing windows at the lights since he was good, kind and had been there for a few years he was well known (he even organised a sponsorship to wear advertising at one point. He had a middle class wage but he worked hard in a crappy job an sadly a bad drug habit. He never committed crime and was quite ingenious. He even let me work with him and shared HIS income with ME each day as I didn't make as much as him (That's more than most "successful" people usually do). So there are all sorts good and bad

That brings me to my last point: Yes some "beggars" can make $20-$30 tax free an hour but it is so demeaning that I doubt many people could do it for a day let alone full time. Yes can be a kind as possible but you still get sworn at, mocked, constantly looked down on and even assaulted. That's why everyone isn't doing it .

I have been in that scene when I was younger and luckily I only had to sleep on a bench one night before I found a squat (which apart from the room I shared with 2 other guys who were very clean) was a horrid place to live and a horrid way to live

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by BungleX
reply to post by DevilDog0311

I have to absolutely disagree, it is NOT only by choice people are homeless and without a job. When you have no interview clothes, home to shower, wash clothes and no address to provide to employer it is remarkably difficult to find work. If you have a criminal record kiss a job goodbye. Its especially hard to keep it even if you get the job as you have no alarm clock, transport etc it will take 2 months to get enough money for a bond to rent and basic furniture. Its a self supporting cycle the longer your homeless the harder it is to get off the streets. You finally have the problem that a lot of homeless have mental disorders (e.g. schizophrenia).

As mentioned earlier 20 bucks to come to a strangers house for a one off job that could take 3 hours with travel is not a very big incentive. There are some guys that make a reasonable money doing homeless earners and many that do not. I had a mate that worked full time 8am to 5pm 6 or 7 days a week washing windows at the lights since he was good, kind and had been there for a few years he was well known (he even organised a sponsorship to wear advertising at one point. He had a middle class wage but he worked hard in a crappy job an sadly a bad drug habit. He never committed crime and was quite ingenious. He even let me work with him and shared HIS income with ME each day as I didn't make as much as him (That's more than most "successful" people usually do). So there are all sorts good and bad
Yes can be a kind as possible but you still get sworn at, mocked, constantly looked down on and even assaulted. That's why everyone isn't doing it .

Quoto al 100%! Your post reminds me of the episode of Fringe that I watched last week... I can't remember the episode title or even whether it had one). It was about a guy trying to perfect time travel and killing (as collateral damage) about 11 people on a suburban train.
In each iteration, the same 'pan-handler' (I believe the word is) discovered the bodies. He'd hang around as trains came in and wait for people to get off the train, and almost none of the people who got off responded to him at all. (The one or two who acknowledged his existence refused to give him $1.00 or $2.00 which is what he was asking for.) To everyone, whether they ignored him or answered, he'd say quite warmly and seemingly genuinely "God bless you" and to the people who responded, he'd speak even more warmly!
He was very clean and middle-class looking and seemed to be about 17! If that hadn't been a TV show but a real event, and I was there I'd have given him $2.00!
Vicky

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterl1fe

With you Afterl1fe
what's a couple of quid? I know who i'd rather be?
Three paychecks away from homelessness, divorce, bereavement, mental illness, alcohol, drugs, loosing ones job/s, the list go's on! i for one and just friggin glad i'm still drawing breath, when you see the terrible things going on in the world, i count myself luck it's not me!
Give these poor sods a break....that's my opinion. Anyway i work with the homeless, believe me they are not all bad people or spongers! Just go to your local hostel and see for yourself.

edit on 14-4-2011 by happinness because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Yes, that actually was in bad humor.I think I have enough sense to.... oh never mind it isnt even worth it to comment if you have stooped to that. Seems ATS seems to be developing a bad drip or something...

Apologies if it was offensive, my aim was to offer some levity...beyond that...lighten up.

I have volounteered at shelters etc. The homeless, like the rest of society are a mixed lot.

Some are eager to work, others have given up, others have found thier niche in the system.

I cannot not blame someone who cannot afford shelter for maximizing revenue.

"Will work for food" sometimes means..."I need money"...we can blame them for dishonest marketing, but if I am going to blame folks for misleading salesmanship or marketing then I will start with corporations rather than a random homeless person.
edit on 14-4-2011 by maybereal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
He's a typical america, trying to find an easy way to make a buck.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11

Apologies if it was offensive, my aim was to offer some levity...beyond that...lighten up.

I have volounteered at shelters etc. The homeless, like the rest of society are a mixed lot.

Some are eager to work, others have given up, others have found thier niche in the system.

I cannot not blame someone who cannot afford shelter for maximizing revenue.

"Will work for food" sometimes means..."I need money"...we can blame them for dishonest marketing, but if I am going to blame folks for misleading salesmanship or marketing then I will start with corporations rather than a random homeless person.
edit on 14-4-2011 by maybereal11 because: (no reason given)

Lol thank you for that, it was sooo much better and much more enlightening...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
It's probably already been pointed out but the guy was homeless... not jobless
If he's making a living doing what he's doing then that is his JOB.
edit on 4/15/2011 by SayonaraJupiter because: edeet

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by happinness
reply to post by Afterl1fe

With you Afterl1fe
what's a couple of quid? I know who i'd rather be?
Three paychecks away from homelessness, divorce, bereavement, mental illness, alcohol, drugs, loosing ones job/s, the list go's on! i for one and just friggin glad i'm still drawing breath, when you see the terrible things going on in the world, i count myself luck it's not me!
Give these poor sods a break....that's my opinion. Anyway i work with the homeless, believe me they are not all bad people or spongers! Just go to your local hostel and see for yourself.

edit on 14-4-2011 by happinness because: (no reason given)

See my previous post, that's the point I was trying to make.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vicky32

Originally posted by cahlmac

Here in ireland, there have been quite a few stories in the last year or so about supposedly 'homeless' people in Dublin being dropped of in buses in the mornings and fanning out throughout the city center for a day of begging on corners... then at the end of the day, back on the bus and away home! And I have to say that in these stories it was not Irish people that were doing this. It is obviously an organised criminal enterprise which I imagine is making huge money each day and this is only the tip of the iceberg.

And you believe these stories of course....
Bit cheeky of you to bang on about them "not being Irish of course" (the old let's hate immigrants and foreigners #e) as you're an American in Ireland! (The spelling of 'centre' as 'center' gave you away.)

Yeah i believe the stories,.. why wouldn't I?? And I think it's a bit cheeky of you too saying I'm an American in Ireland,.. wherever you got that from?? Ah, that's right, it's the spelling of 'center'. Nice work Einstein.
Guess I've been working for that American company too long

Have a nice day y'all... bloody hell, there I go again

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

To counter the topic: I've offered to hire a homeless person or two on the corner and the entire GANG jumped and mobbed me to pick them.

I don't know where you are, but it sounds like you met someone who wasn't homeless but a scam artist.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
If one truly wants to help the homeless, one should donate to the organizations locally that help them, and even better, volunteer your time at those places too. That is the dignified thing to do for all involved. Like I said upthread, no way in hell I would take the bait and go anywhere with anyone let alone a stranger on the street for twenty bucks.

The scam I see here is from the one offering the cash.
edit on Fri, 06 May 2011 11:27:14 -0500 by hotbakedtater because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by InnerTruths

What a nice chap! I'm sure you made his day?
When your down on your luck and things couldn't get any worse i would imagine that would be the ultimate tonic the fella needed! I'm sure if you run in to him one day, he will repay your kindness.
I work with street homeless people and they never forget a you.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Do you think that maybe your whole pitch was a little sketchy?

First of all... "20 bucks worth"

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

Hey i make good money (im still under paid) but $20.00 bucks is $20.00 bucks and i'm not homeless (great-full of that) i work hard for my money,so what im trying to say is.

I'll do it. i'll rake and bag but you supply the rake and bags ok?

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24 >>

join