It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nano-Technology in Metals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Does anyone have a grasp of NT as it relates to the development of newer indestructable molecularly enhanced metals ?? I have a good grasp of the medical inroads but need to weave the genesis of metals into the equation. Thanks for the help.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
nano tech for metals? hmm are you tlking repairing using nano's or we tlking differntly here.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Nano technology is used to fabricate whats called "nanowires".

These have all sorts of applications, going from computer tech to the famed "space elevator".

Alot of sites exist about nanowires and nanotubes by just doing a simple search on google:

www.google.com...
www.google.com...
www.google.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I was watching a show in the history channel about this new metal called memory metal it was stronger than regular steel and when it bent or deformed all you had to do is warm it up by pouring hot water on it and it would go back to its original shape. Can you imagine this application for Military use Say the Us army built humvees out of this metal you ran over a land mine all you got to do is get a bucket of hot water

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Memory Metal was invented in china in the 1960's. The first type was a titanium-nickle alloy. Its neat stuff, once molded or cut, it will always revert to that shape when uniformly heated (hense the water method).

Its not cheap however and it can't do the job of any metal out there. Additionally the thicker it is the less effective it's memory.

It not nanotech though, its alloying.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 12:58 AM
link   
YeahIi new it was not nano technology but nevertheless less its still pretty kool and this type of metal bounced a whole lot than other regular metals i think one good application that memory metal will be good for is nails or screws i hate it when the bend and i got to by new one this way i can just get a some warm water

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 08:15 AM
link   
In the newest issue of Popular Science there's an article about Rubber Metal. It's put together molecule by molecule using anelastic and a metal and the finished product is as conductable as steel but as bendable as rubber.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   
There is no such thing as NanoTechnology yet, we don't have the capability to individually control,manipulate and build at the Atomic level yet but there are some interesting designs out there. All the current Nano stuff refers to Nano-Particles(Like Nano-Zinc Oxide is one off the top of my head), Nano-Clays, etc etc. This picture is what I consider to be 'True' nanotech.

This is Nanotech, although Nanotubes and Buckyballs are very interesting forms of Carbon, they will not lead to true Drexlerian Nanotech.

EDIT: www.foresight.org... For the most complete info on this new technology I suggest you're first stop be the Foresight Institute, they have been preaching about Nano since the 80s.

[edit on 27-7-2004 by sardion2000]

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Rubber-Metal sounds interesting. I wonder if it bounces. Nanotechnology is rapidly being developed. Kind of like the micro-computer made of DNA.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Two quick items: if you've had braces, you probably had Nickel-Titanium (NiTi) wire in your mouth. Orthodontists use it all the time.

Also, invented in China?? How about the US Navy in 1962 . . .

www.ultimatewireforms.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by MichiKami
Two quick items: if you've had braces, you probably had Nickel-Titanium (NiTi) wire in your mouth. Orthodontists use it all the time.

Also, invented in China?? How about the US Navy in 1962 . . .

Yup, i had some bad info... it would seem it was invented by the navy.

new topics

top topics

join