It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government Shutdown Averted!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Well it looks like there will be no shutdown at least for now... A federal budget deal has been reached for the time being. I am just wondering if this is another one of those bait and switch situations. Hey look we are gonna shut down the gubment then in reality they are off doing something else using smoke and mirrors...

Perilously close to a midnight deadline, the White House and congressional leaders have reached agreement to cut billions of dollars in spending to avoid the first government shutdown in 15 years.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

38.7 Billion in Cuts . The Reps Caved in Big Time there . Both Political Parties are a Freakin DISCRACE . They Talk The Talk , but NEVER Walk The Walk . When the Dollar Finally Collapses and the Majority of Americans find themselves living in Abject Poverty , these Politicos will SUFFER the Consequences ...............MARK My Words ! ..............

LONG LIVE THE REPUBLIC !

edit on 9-4-2011 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

It was all a distraction. This is all by design. Basically, it was to grab you attention from other more important things going on. Sure the economy is important, but you have to ask yourself, "Is it really repairable by cutting a few tens of billions of dollars?" I mean we're in a sink hole by the trillions. It would take a more drastic move than just cutting a few programs. I'm talking a major tear down and rebuilding of this government and many others. This kind of distraction happens every single day. Next week, it will be something else to talk about.
edit on 9-4-2011 by sixneuproele because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-4-2011 by sixneuproele because: A few typos

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
yes and this is on yahoo news news.yahoo.com... from the link

'Historic' deal to avoid government shutdown
AP

Email
Print

Barack Obama AP – President Obama poses for photographers in the Blue Room at the White House in Washington after he spoke …

Government Shutdown Averted: Obama Announces Deal Play Video Video:Government Shutdown Averted: Obama Announces Deal ABC News
'Historic' deal to avoid government shutdown Play Video Video:'Historic' deal to avoid government shutdown AP
Planned Parenthood and the budget fight Play Video Video
lanned Parenthood and the budget fight AP

By DAVID ESPO, AP Special Correspondent – 17 mins ago

WASHINGTON – Perilously close to a government shutdown, President Barack Obama and congressional leaders reached a historic agreement late Friday night to cut about $38 billion in spending and avert the first federal closure in 15 years.

Obama hailed the deal as "the biggest annual spending cut in history." House Speaker John Boehner said that over the next decade it would cut government spending by $500 billion — and won an ovation from his rank and file, tea party adherents among them.
was this not thought of a week ago?

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Officials said it would keep the government in funds through the middle of next week.
From Original Article in OP.

If the 39 Billion is only enough to keep them through funds until mid next week, what happens after that??

The American government is just postponing the inevitable. Trillions in debt.
Its going to take a hell of alot more than $500 Billion/decade to fix your economy.
edit on 9/4/2011 by TheSparrowSings because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
It makes me wonder how much more screwed we (the people) are now with the decisions these idiots have made on the behalf of (supposedly) the good of the country and the budget. I am so for all of them (including Obama) cutting their paychecks even though I know that would only happen in our dreams. I bet our fore fathers are rolling in their graves right now. This just makes me sick to think about. I guess I better brush up on survival skills now. With them playing monopoly with this country's money, we are on our own. Honestly I have come to believe that anything that comes out of a politicians mouth is a lie. You can't believe any of them. I never thought I would live to see this country get to where it is.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by searching4it

" I never thought I would live to see this country get to where it is. "

Well said , me too .

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
As others have pointed out, with our current state of debt, cutting a billion here, five billion there is not going to even touch our deficit.

With that in mind, look at what's being cut. Go look. Everything that's beign cut is useful programs that benefit the people of the United States. What's NOT being cut is the military-industrial complex. Our wars keep their funding. The congressmen, of course, keep reaping in their pay regardless of if they had shut down the govenrment or not. The immensely expensive drug war (Expensive both in direct costs and secondary losses) only gets bigger. No actual pork is cut.

So we look at what gets cut, and we realize that even those cuts can't hurt the deficit at all. So... Why cut?

Politics. The goal is to strip wealth from the public and put it into the hands of the few in the private sector who have a good in with the government. This is your free market, people. I hope you enjoy your serfdom.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Billions ? All that for billions ?... these people piss away 1000's of times more than that.
What a bunch of monkeys.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
There is Billions sitting in treasury still from the banks paying of the loans they were given from Big Brother...

It is just sitting there...yet the economy is in a downward spiral cause there isn't enough money...

Its just a big sham to create fear and panic...

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
According to most economists 70% of our taxes go to some form of a social program. So to make any cuts is gonna peave the weening baby.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
you people actually think you have a government??? ha ha ha ha thats funny-there is only the nwo of corperations and military baby killers with a bunch of sheep. unless you actually fight the fake government you will loose alot more in days to come-soon--

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by sixneuproele

I agree. And we know they arent going to cut military spending that benefits their corporate overlords, because even in the midst of this financial crisis they are scraping the bottom of the barrel looking for excuses to go blow some more tax dollars in the Mid East.

This is all orchestrated to get Americans lubed up for the "austerity" measures being imposed all over the first world.

"Austerity" in case you didnt know, means, "shifting so much money so suddenly from the poor to the rich that it endangers their health and ability to feed themselves."

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Government Shutdown Moving In The Battle Of A Trillion Dollars

www.TheAsiaSun.com...
About $ 14,000,000,000,000 debt, the U.S. has accumulated nearly 100 percent of gross domestic product. The budget deficit last year was around ten percent of economic output, higher than in Greece. 61 billion U.S. $ Republicans want to cut Obama’s current budget, which have been approved by the House now. They have no power. No money for Obama’s showcase projects such as sending high-speed trains, less money for education or police.

top topics

join