It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Happened to the Emergency contact Network Thread?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I just tried to get to the Emergency Contact Network thread, and it shows that it has been moved to "Moderators --> Trash Bin"

Was that a mistake?
Is it being moved to a different area of ATS?
Is it going to get a top level?

Hope we can get this one back.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   
You're not the only one wondering about this.....

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
No worries guys. ATS admin became concerned that member information might be "databased" from our efforts and used for ill-intentions. Although it is sad that these days we can't work toward something good without falling prey to mean people, that's not ATS's fault. And I'm very glad that ATS wants to look out after all of us.

[edit on 7-25-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I think it was a very useful endeavor and no one can tell when the need will crop up for it.

Is there any use in putting it in RATS?

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Yeah, ATS specifically prohibits recruitment for/of other groups. For a variety of reasons, including abuse of member information, this is a good rule. Verbatim, the TOS states:

12.) You agree not to cultivate the membership of the AboveTopSecret.com discussion board for the sending of private messages (board U2U or e-mail) for the purposes of marketing, mass mailing, or recruitment for other groups (offline or online) such as activist groups or other online discussion board websites.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
No worries guys. ATS admin became concerned that member information might be "databased" from our efforts and used for ill-intentions. Although it is sad that these days we can't work toward something good without falling prey to mean people, that's not ATS's fault. And I'm very glad that ATS wants to look out after all of us.

I guess they have a point. Is there a way to move forward without the public postings of private info?
Or was the effort considered as "recruitment for other groups"?

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Well, no. And I'm assuming ktpr's quote of the TOS was toward the potential bad things some one could do, and not at me or you, since that's not what was going on. There was no "recruitment". There was no requirement whatsoever. And there was no mass u2u or email list that I had formulated, so we did not violate the TOS. And that's not why it was shut down, but probably the fears that some one else could do these things is what drove shutting it down.

I think that there is something that is permanent that came from the effort. We learned just how ready ATS members are to be there for people if they are in trouble. And hopefully, members will remember this if they ever find themselves in a bad situation and need some where to turn.

[edit on 7-25-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Guess I better change my sig then!

Too bad. A very good idea and superb work, Val and phreak. Thanks

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
This means ATS has achieved enough success to have lawyers, or at least worry about needing one haha. ewwwww. ATS is becoming aware and thus will begin to censor heh.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Well perhaps rather than a network, the mods could create a section to broadcast when a member is in need. Then allow others to offer help. The offers could be relayed anonymously.

No one person would have to be responsible for being a contact point. We all had to enter an email to become a member. I don't know if the mods have access to them, but if a need arose could they not put to members in contact.

One requests, one responds, a moderator then forwards the response?

We have seen like you mentioned that ATS'ers are willing to be there if needed. If it's possible to enact such a system that will put to rest the concerns, (very valid concerns) and not violate the TOS, could the moderators be persuaded to do so?

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   
This very sad indeed something that could have benefited everybody had to be taken away.

[edit on 25-7-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
This very sad indeed something that could have benefited everybody had to be taken away.

[edit on 25-7-2004 by marg6043]

Well it's a good thing that the staff realized that this "good thing" may have had repercutions for the whole community. I'm betting that it isn't a done deal, it'll be back once the bugs are ironed out.
I likewise am proud to be part of a community that is willing to band together for it's fellow members.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:22 PM
link   
well couldnt one start a seperate site like on geocities or something? like a site sepreat from ats but have all the ATS members sign up for it there if they want to.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:23 PM
link   
No KrazyIvan...that WOULD violate the TOS...most definitely.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I hope intrepid is right. I would like to see something based on the concept of the ECN make a re-emergence.

I believe it can be done, and still remain within the confines of the TOS.
And if they can do it... sign me up!

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
No KrazyIvan...that WOULD violate the TOS...most definitely.

poopy. well ivan tried. it sounded like a good idea to me anyways

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I agree. This ECN must be re-established, somehow. I'd hate to have an ATS member fall flat on their asses when someone could have helped.

Perhaps the mods could set up a list of member locations, stashed away somewhere (perferably somewhere behind the blackest IC you can get these days) and archived. Then, should someone require help, a U2U be sent out to members in the area. All is private, can be done (hopefully) by U2U or email.

All we'd need to do is have persons willing to provide aid.

DE

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Well, here's the deal, this can be done to where NO user is logged as a contact at all. There is no need for a database or list. If the regions are established, the network is in place. You pick your own region and watch for an emergency message from that region. You don't ever really have to come forward and say "i claim this region". See my point.

It can be done with total anonymity versus what was being done. So if it were to be followed up on, it would probably only be a set of maps so that one could look at the maps and say to themselves...OH, I'm in the NW region of Montana. And then there you have it. No one else needs to know.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ktprktpr
Yeah, ATS specifically prohibits recruitment for/of other groups. For a variety of reasons, including abuse of member information, this is a good rule. Verbatim, the TOS states:

ABSOLUTELY INCORRECT. A "violation" had NOTHING to do with why the ECN has been taken down.

The ECN was removed because the senior staff realizes that one of the BIGGEST responsibilities we have toward members is there GUARENTEED anonymity and the absloute PRIVACY of all personal data.

Until such time as we can positively KNOW that there is no way for any of the above to be compromised we can't allow such a network to exist.

Several ideas are being tossed about that will ensure both concepts can be met.

I want it CLEAR that a Geographical contact list comprised of MEMBERS for MEMBERS in need ONLY on ATS, in NO WAY violates the TOU.

This effort was NOT a recruitment to some "other site" (as we have experienced in the past) or an attempt at consolidating info on members. It WAS and attempt to establish a network that one of us in need could count on for help ON ATS, IN ATS and NO WHERE ELSE, PERIOD.

This is a GREAT idea that was simply ahead of the technological security available, at this red hot second in time, for the availability of contact info on a rather open forum/map based venue. It will be presented again when it can be done at the same level of security the "main site" has now, which, by the way, is among the BEST on the web...

ATS prides itself on the absolute PRIVACY of any and ALL people who wish to DENY IGNORANCE. The results speak for themselves.

m...

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Huh... I was kinda kidding when I mentioned in the thread about information being used against us...

Guess it was still valid.

Totally understand and agree with it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join