It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neutering/Fixing Dogs/Cats Is Wrong! Stop It Now!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Seriously, we take these animals out of their habitat, yes I said take them out of their habitat and then use the excuse that they will all starve and die if we don't promote depopulation of them?

How would you like if you got "fixed"/

I think that this is a horrible element of today's society where they feel it is the responsible thing to do to "fix" their "pets".

And then dog owner say "oh they are happier now", what a load of BS.
That's like saying a slave that continues to live life is happy

As a society we need to stop this, it is morally wrong and I find it disgusting!!

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I'm not sure that's an entirely rational argument. Let's say we didn't, what would happen?

Can't say I know for sure but I certainly have my opinions on the matter. The fact remains that we have these animals as pets and I have serious doubts that will stop anytime soon. I'd also contend that considering the sheer number of animals euthanized per year, estimated around 3-4 million a year, would go way up.

Just something to think about.

Peace
KJ

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I have always had my cats fixed except for one and she ended up with breast cancer. Males tend to pee all over the place when they are not fixed. Both male and females go through heat and are miserable when they are not fixed. Believe me, they are calmer and feel better after they are fixed. I have seen the difference and have had cats most of my life.

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Well let's see.

I will disagree from a cat owner's stand point. Males for example, if you do not get them fixed, they have a 50% increased chance of getting testicular cancer.

These are domesticated animals, they are no longer "wild". Fixing them is the proper thing to do, it prevents common diseases and multiple other things.

~Keeper

link   
All I see are fractal patterns within the main pattern.
We spay and neuter our pets, and the elite spay and neuter us, their pets, chemically and covertly. They call it "sustainability" in the global politics world.
I don't believe in surgically altering what nature created naturally. Monsanto does not hold my belief systems unfortunately. Enjoy those sugars, corns, cottonseeds, canola oils, etc.

I agree with the above comment as we have domesticated these animals and they won't survive very long on their own in the modern day world. Kind of like how people have been dumbed down and domesticated, and won't survive for long on their own in this modern world.
edit on 8-4-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

[SNIP]

We kill, KILL millions of animals every year because people DONT spay and neuter their pets and you are seriously advocating that people stop spaying and neutering their pets? Why? So we can spend millions more dollars euthanizing millions more animals every year?

They are domesticated animals, not wild animals that people are pulling in from their fantastic wild lives. They do horribly "in the wild" and suffer enormously. Even the cats, who do much better than the dogs.

And getting "fixed" doesnt bother them at all past the trauma of being manhandled before their procedure by strangers, and then the pain for a couple days after wards. They never think another thing of it past that. Its not significantly more traumatic than having their teeth cared for, or are you suggesting we stop doing that too?

[SNIP]

Mod edit: Removed unnecessary personal comments.

Mod Note: Courtesy is Mandatory – Please Review Link.
edit on 4/9/2011 by AshleyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
We have too many irresponsible pet owners who never have their pets fixed and we end up with shelters filled to capacity and millions of euthenized animals because there were no homes found for them. Or...the pet owners leave them outside to fend for themselves and the population just grows and grows. It is cruel not to have your pets fixed!

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
My cat had a bunch of kitten once, it cost me over 50$ each just to 'give' them to the vet so they could 'give' them away to someone else, we really tried to give them away ourselves but it's not that easy when you've got 6-7 of them. I dated a girl who worked at the vet office, most of those kittens end up dead... another ex girlfriend is a vet, I know what happens to them.

My choice was to either pay to get them killed or give them a chance to survive out in the wilderness. Cats DO NOT survive on their own and dogs neither! They are household pets and need people to care for them... they are not wild animals.

The reason people encourage that is to not have to do what I did. Leave them near a farm in the middle of nowhere... I still have a hard time thinking about that day. In my mind, I gave them a chance to survive and I do hope they made it to the farm, since they often do have a bunch of cats but the cats there are miserable. But really, they're probably dead, got eaten by some wild animal or froze to death. My current girlfriend had cats where she used to live, the cats weren't hers and they lived outside. They still needed to be fed by her mom that didn't let them into the house... it wasn't long until they multiplied out of control.

Have you ever had to kill a kitten because it wasn't born right? Because the mother was too old and gave birth to deformed kittens? It happens all the time... my cat was too old, my friend took the cat with him outside, it had what looked like its kidneys on the outside of its body... it was in pain, slowly bleeding to death. My friend broke its neck to save it from a slow and painful death, then did it again with two other kittens that were just as bad. He washed his hands for a week, he couldn't get over it.

No.. just no.

link   
Op, have you ever been to an animal shelter?..

If you really love animals you would be for neutering.

link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Not only does neutering prevent testicular cancer, it also prevent the spraying behavior that lands male cats on death row more often than not.

And female animals too have uterine problems if they are not spayed and not bred that can kill them.

www.peteducation.com...

Pyometra is a disease mainly of middle-aged female cats that have not been spayed. In the past, we thought pyometra was simply a uterine infection, but today, we know that it is a hormonal abnormality, and a secondary bacterial infection may or may not be present. Pyometra follows a heat cycle in which fertilization did not occur. Typically, within two to four months after the cycle, the female starts showing signs of the disease.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Seriously, we take these animals out of their habitat, yes I said take them out of their habitat and then use the excuse that they will all starve and die if we don't promote depopulation of them?

How would you like if you got "fixed"/

I think that this is a horrible element of today's society where they feel it is the responsible thing to do to "fix" their "pets".

And then dog owner say "oh they are happier now", what a load of BS.
That's like saying a slave that continues to live life is happy

As a society we need to stop this, it is morally wrong and I find it disgusting!!

How would I like it if I got fixed? I mean no disrespect but I did get fixed after my last child. I have also had every female dog or cat I ever owned fixed. There is nothing sadder than knowing--- animal shelters exist that euthanize animals after so many days if they aren't adopted. I love my pets and it is just my personal belief that it is kinder to spay and nueter.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Well let's see.

I will disagree from a cat owner's stand point. Males for example, if you do not get them fixed, they have a 50% increased chance of getting testicular cancer.

These are domesticated animals, they are no longer "wild". Fixing them is the proper thing to do, it prevents common diseases and multiple other things.

~Keeper

Yup, female cats are at a higher risk of cancer too if they are not fixed. I only had one cat in my whole life that wasn't fixed and she ended up with breast cancer. We spent a fortune for an operation and she lasted another year or two and it came back. I would never make that mistake twice!!!!!

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
I'd also contend that considering the sheer number of animals euthanized per year, estimated around 3-4 million a year, would go way up.

Just something to think about.

and cost of adopting of "buying" them is not a major factor of putting them to sleep?
the costs are outrageous!!!

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

my dog seems fine and so do my cats, although one wags his tail most of the time which is a sign of unhapiness but it could be other things

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
I have always had my cats fixed except for one and she ended up with breast cancer. Males tend to pee all over the place when they are not fixed. Both male and females go through heat and are miserable when they are not fixed. Believe me, they are calmer and feel better after they are fixed. I have seen the difference and have had cats most of my life.

You have an animal in your house where humans are supposed to live
You are forcing them to adapt to YOUR comfort level and environment

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Spay and neutering became mandatory basically if you care about animals... why?
Because people are uneducated, careless, reckless morons for the most part. PEOPLE can't be trusted to take proper care of their pets, so the shelters are overloaded as a result. It's not the animals faults, it's the humans faults, now animals must be fixed because the home to pet ratio is off the charts and millions go without care and must be put down... why? There really is no alternatives for these abandoned pets?

Let's give all the extra animals in shelters to South Dakota... no one really lives there anyway, they can roam freely there.
edit on 8-4-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Well let's see.

~Keeper

So if "fixing" human men in the future where testicular cancer would be at record numbers that would justify it?
Whether they agree with it or not?

Dogs aren't able to disagree?
Oh I think that running away from being fixed is quite a strong indication

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
i gotta agree with OP, my cat is was born march 4th 2010 so shes just a little over a year and im soo confused as to what to do about her loneliness. i wanna get a little boy kitten for her but i dont like separating kittens from mother in the first place so if my cat where to have kittens i would have to keep them all... is there an alternative that wouldnt take my cats lady parts away and make her content without having litters?

this is a problem i been thinking about for the last 3 months, i dont plan on having my cat cut open for an unnecessary operation any time soon. honestly she dosnt get to loud though when she crys but its sad.

i also agree that we have to be mindful that we are bringing animals into our human world. these environments arent made for there safety.

edit on 8-4-2011 by gougitousakusha because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-4-2011 by gougitousakusha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
Are you nuts?

No really. Are you mentally ill?

I am neither mentally ill nor am I rude!

We kill, KILL millions of animals every year because people DONT spay and neuter their pets and you are seriously advocating that people stop spaying and neutering their pets? Why? So we can spend millions more dollars euthanizing millions more animals every year?

I have spoken to so many people and so many people aren't getting dogs or cats because of the cost of "buying" them.

As far as i'm concerned, same issue with adopting human kids.

And getting "fixed" doesnt bother them at all past the trauma of being manhandled before their procedure by strangers, and then the pain for a couple days after wards. They never think another thing of it past that. Its not significantly more traumatic than having their teeth cared for, or are you suggesting we stop doing that too?

are you capable of cohesive thought?
from fixing them to dental care???
I would never get fixed but I go to the dentist every 6 months thank you very much
what a lame analogy
Oh and it doesn't bother them, well i'm glad you asked them first and are able to go into their minds and see they never think of it afterwards.

First you come up with a lame analogy and then act as if you can speak to animals and then ask me if I AM mentally ill????

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I agree ! if we stop neutering we will be wasting food. what's wrong with eating a dog now and then. *SNIP*, and maybe , just maybe , it could help end world hunger ...
edit on 4-9-2011 by Springer because: Removed vulgar comment

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join