It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(U.S.) Navy Shows Off Powerful New Laser Weapon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
This is exciting news for those interested in new military developments. Star Wars (like in the movies) takes another step closer to reality.

source

A futuristic laser mounted on a speeding cruiser successfully blasted a bobbing, weaving boat from the waters of the Pacific Ocean -- the first test at sea of such a gun and a fresh milestone in the Navy's quest to reoutfit the fleet with a host of laser weapons, the Navy announced Friday.

"We were able to have a destructive effect on a high-speed cruising target," chief of Naval research Rear Adm. Nevin Carr told FoxNews.com.

The test occurred Wednesday near San Nicholas Island, off the coast of Central California in the Pacific Ocean test range, from a laser gun mounted onto the deck of the Navy’s self-defense test ship, former USS Paul Foster.
In a video of the event, the small boat can be seen catching fire and ultimately bursting into flames, a conflagration caused by the navy's distant gun. Some details of the event were classified, including the exact range of the shot, but Carr could provide some information: "We're talking miles, not yards," Carr said.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
New ways to kill people, great.

We can't solve our economic problems, but I'll be damned if we can't pour trillions into finding new ways to kill people anyway.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11
New ways to kill people, great.

We can't solve our economic problems, but I'll be damned if we can't pour trillions into finding new ways to kill people anyway.

Think about it again instead of just offering up the quick, flip answer.

This is a defensive weapon system. The kind that would protect a ship against incoming threats.

So, it serves two purposes in a way:

1 - helps protect the lives of U.S. sailors on the ship.

2 - helps make missile weapons obsolete.

#2 is actually the best reason for all the rest of us. Because when missiles finally become obsolete - especially ballistic missiles - then we'll all be much more safe and secure. And if the U.S. (and other countries) is safe behind some sort of missile shield, then maybe we can finally bring the troops home.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

yeah so now they can create light based super-weapons that will not be able to be stopped, at all. Where's my forcefield at.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
It almost seems like the US is throwing most of its money into developing space-friendly weapons. I guess they don't like the idea of space neutrality so they need to police it too (hence US Space Command).

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
The headline made me laugh, but I believe there are a few other posts about this.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by minnow329

You have to create your own force field internally, knowing that you are omnipotent and beyond harm.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi
It almost seems like the US is throwing most of its money into developing space-friendly weapons. I guess they don't like the idea of space neutrality so they need to police it too (hence US Space Command).

And I guess this would be just another thing to be envious about for supporters of countries that can at best dream of such things for themselves.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

I don't think the weaponization of space between nations is a funny concept; in fact, it's almost scary if you happen to be anyone other than an American.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
The BBC have this short video on the laser being fired.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
lol starwars

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

So getting zapped by laser is any more or less scarier than getting shot or exploded?

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Ive seen youtube laser flicks with more oomf lol

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77

So getting zapped by laser is any more or less scarier than getting shot or exploded?

...what is the point of this reply?

Let me repeat, developing a laser means the US will have a weapon basically designed for space combat when every other country in the world has a concensus of space forever remaining a neutral zone.

And if I have to answer your question, you're damn right I'd rather be shot.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

My point is all of us are still in danger regardless of the existence of naval lasers or not, and as centurion pointed out it is a defensive technology. It's a different story all together using this from orbit.

It really doesn't matter, this technology is going to be invented sooner or later, just like everything else we see the potential for loss of life with. You are just using this to argue against the US once again.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
SHOW ME THE LASER ...........

Well at least we know there isnt a shortage of money.
like one millllllllionnnnnnnnnnn ..

I Guess Id rather be on the US side anyway.. we have bigger guns.
Wonder what China will copy next

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

There is a directed energy research lab at Kirtland Air Force Base, in New Mexico.

The efficient part about directed energy is that it cremates, so as corpses are not left laying around spreading disease. And there is no nasty nuclear fallout to deal with.

Directed Energy and Neutron Weapons are the future, making nukes obsolete and too messy to deal with.
edit on 17-4-2011 by fredvcall because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77

My point is all of us are still in danger regardless of the existence of naval lasers or not, and as centurion pointed out it is a defensive technology. It's a different story all together using this from orbit.

It really doesn't matter, this technology is going to be invented sooner or later, just like everything else we see the potential for loss of life with. You are just using this to argue against the US once again.

The Soviets had this technology in the 60s, on mobile platforms. They also had many claims to deploying these weapons in space (and did have experimental ASAT lasers).

But despite this, I don't see Russia launching up secret military cargo into space once or twice a month.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

I don't have any doubts that the US, Russia, China or any other nation with the capability would put lasers in space, given the opportunity and completely disregarding any kind of international law. It's just the logical thing to do in a strategic sense, no nation is going to handicap itself because of any others concerns.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

The Soviets had this technology in the 60s, on mobile platforms. They also had many claims to deploying these weapons in space (and did have experimental ASAT lasers).

Pictures of the so-called soviet "mobile laser" have been posted on ATS before.

All it consisted of were "blinding lasers" mounted on a tank chassis that were meant to blind opposing soldiers, not something that could actually kill another tank, or shoot down aircraft, missiles and mortar shells.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join