It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GMail Warning...Be Advised

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
This isn't a conspiracy, just something that GMail Users should be aware of...

When you send an email through GMail you can add one or more recipients to the 'send to' field. When multiple recipients are listed, the names of each will appear in the header so everyone can see who also recieved the message.

No biggie, pretty much how they all work.

HOWEVER, when you send a message from ANOTHER email provider (say hotmail) TO a GMail account, any additional recipients that may have been CC'd DO NOT appear in the header...only the original sender's address is listed.

They are still there though, and any 'reply' that is sent will go to ALL the people on the original list.

If you are a GMail user keep this in mind.

If you want to respond to a message you have been sent then take the 2 seconds and manually add the person's address.

I discovered this the hard way today. I'm lucky that the message sent was clean and professional, it just contained a single sentence that was not common knowledge to all the recipients.

Heads up all.
edit on 8-4-2011 by [davinci] because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
That's... kind of odd. Thanks for the heads up though. I've fallen pretty far behind on my tech knowledge and so forth recently. the conspiracy here is that could really screw you. Loose lips sink ships and all that.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
They need to fix that. It's obviously a mistake or a bug.

There is no logical reason such an option would be included in the default setting.

Thanks for the info though, I'll file it in the cabinet.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
The day started off so well too.

Now that everything is smoothed over I'd like to have a drink, the only problem is that I'm shaking so bad I'd spill it everywhere.

I'm reviewing the options now to see if this is something that can be changed. If it isn't, and it is a bug, I will be writting Google to advise them that there is an issue requiring thier attention.
edit on 8-4-2011 by [davinci] because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
OMG...

I sure hope I haven't done this because I use my hotmail and gmail interchangeably since i can't get aol mail on my damn Droid.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

edit on 4/8/2011 by TNTarheel because: my info was incorrect

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I am fairly certain that it is by design that all names in the address box (CC list box) be listed. If you wish to hide this information, all addresses will need to be placed in the BCC (Blind Carbon Copy list box). I wouldnt see this as a flaw on GMail as more an oversight of the masses. Yahoo and the like may just default BCC for any plethra of reasons, like complaints, lawsuits or someone assumed it was for the best. Before e-mail became a social norm it was a business tool so it was designed for a work place, however, I use the BCC whenever I send e-mails to friends/family. Never know when two aunts are at each others throats and dying to find a way to contact each other

Just want to add: In GMail, while using the "Compose" you will need to click "Add Bcc" and a new list box will appear. Everyone added in here will be blind to all others this email is sent to.
edit on 8-4-2011 by Cassey222 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Cassey222

Dont be evil...

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cassey222
I am fairly certain that it is by design that all names in the address box (CC list box) be listed. If you wish to hide this information, all addresses will need to be placed in the BCC (Blind Carbon Copy list box). .
edit on 8-4-2011 by Cassey222 because: (no reason given)

I tried using the Bcc option but my Bcc people showed up on my "test" accounts whenever I hit "reply all". (And it didn't matter if the emails I sent were from my Gmail account or others...scary!)

top topics

join