It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chavs make me sick.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Just to clarify why chavs make me sick...

A friend of mine was beat up by a group of them because he was sitting in a chair that they wanted.
Yes, a chair that he had been sitting in for 2 hours all happy and fine but they wanted it.

He was told"go to the police" and his response"what is the point? They'll just get a slap on the hand and I'll have to deal with more trouble"

so yes...

Chavs make me sick

edit on 8/4/11 by David291 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Here is an interesting article I found on Wiki.

I think it makes plenty of sense.
Chav Wiki

The widespread use of the "chav" stereotype has come in for some criticism.[11] Some argue[12] that it amounts to simple snobbery and elitism.[13] Critics of the term have argued that its users are "neo-snobs",[14] and that its increasing popularity raises questions about how British society deals with social mobility and class.[2] In a February 2005 article in The Times, Julie Burchill argued that use of the word is a form of "social racism", and that such "sneering" reveals more about the shortcomings of the "chav-haters" than those of their supposed victims.[15] The writer John Harris argued along similar lines in a 2007 article in The Guardian.[16]

Interesting huh?

It was a very revealing paragraph in my opinion.

It confirmed my suspicion that your usage of the word in this context was highly prejudice.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Well
I actually never thought of that way - then I revoke that statement and put it down to anti social dimwits? Might that be better?

I am also sorry for any offence that I have caused.
edit on 8/4/11 by David291 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
chav just means the football hooligan type bloke and the big ear ring, veluer (not sure of spelling but could be right)tracksuit wearing girls who speak in a common way etc.... i wouldnt be so sure to call it any more prejudice than to name the people who use the word as snobs, and it certainly isnt racist as you choose how you dress and talk yourself.
i would say these people might have been chavs but it isnt being a chav that makes people beat people up for the sake of it, those people are called brainless thugs. but maybe that is being racist aswell in the eyes of some guardian reporter sitting in his office with nothing to write about other than a random bold statement.

new topics

top topics

join