It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The shutdown will cost taxpayers more then if they just stay open

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

So if the federal government shuts down, taxpayers would save a lot of money, right?

Not quite.

It would actually cost taxpayers money. And for every day the shutdown continues, the bill would go up.

"There is absolutely no way this saves money. Zip," said Bo Cutter, former director of the National Economic Council and a senior fellow at the Roosevelt Institute.

It's pretty hard to put an accurate price tag on a shutdown. Official estimates of the costs incurred during last major shutdowns in 1995 and 1996 vary widely.

And the White House hasn't produced an estimate of how much a shutdown might cost, but it does say it will cost something.

First, the government actually has to spend money in order to complete an orderly shutdown.

"When you have to shut something down, that costs money, and ramping something back up costs money," Jeffrey Zients, deputy director of the Office of Management and Budget said Thursday.

Imagine a government construction project. Since it's impossible to know how long the shutdown will last, workers are forced to wind down all operations and secure the work site. That all costs money.

It's a process that will be repeated all across the country, and in every government agency. Plus, whenever funding is restored, it will cost money to get the project back up to speed.

In the meantime, costs will increase the longer a shutdown drags on.

This just adds to my overall frustration on this topic!

Yahoo

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Principal is not cheap nor free in many cases.

Sometimes you have to spend money to make money and sometimes you have to spend money to save money. Happens every day in the private sector. Happens every day in households across the country.

Lets see. We can shut down the government for a week and it will take them a few days extra days to get a small business loan or mortgage processed. Tragic.

The 2010 elections were about cutting the deficit and spending. It was not too long ago when Obama told the Republicans to stuff it with the quote "we won". Now the shoe is on the other foot and they should hold out until they get want and not be rolled.

I think we can do without the vast majority of the "non-essential" government employees and its about time we put that to the test.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
I think we can do without the vast majority of the "non-essential" government employees and its about time we put that to the test.

Speak for yourself.

Is life worth living without the jets flying over the red sox game today?

I think Im going to request one for my birthday www.dtic.mil...
Hell, I'm paying for this crap, right?

join