It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Game theory as an insite to backroom politics?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
lesswrong on game theory

just read this and thought how similar this is to the sort of political bickering of newspapers/media and politicians among other things. I thought I'd see what others think about this is it possible the realms of game theory can offer new insights into world events or help in minimizing loopholes in political systems?

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Yes.

In fact, there are over 63,000 book chapters, journal articles, conference reports (etc) on Google Scholar about that very topic. Scientists have been studying it for years. Link to Google Scholar search

Game theory is something that I love reading about. It's used in all kinds of human interaction research.

As to politicians wising up and using it, no. They will end up being an example in the "consequences" section of game theory articles. One thing that the Republicans DID do was use a technique called "Framing" many years ago and continue to use that one. I don't think they plan it as well as they used to. George Lakoff tried to teach Democrats to use that, but it was like herding cats.

Anyway, good idea and yes game theory has been used to analyze and predict results since about 1957:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
thanks, sounds interesting I'll take a look.
edit on 14-4-2011 by AnonymousJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Fascinating! Thanks for the links

How did I miss this? Not something I came across in art and medieval history

But I guess I'm subconsciously aware as I'm constantly telling my son, "I'm not playing your games tonight"

Life is just a series of games within every interaction?
Can't wait to get started in this subject, but need to finish Art of War first.

top topics

join