It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the hell is the sun doing!?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
If you want to compare 3 april soho pix and todays explosion
pix here
www.1minpages.com...
For the record I hope those planet sized globes around the sun ///

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Thanks Chadwickus! Simple, to the point and informative. My 8 year old just learned something too, so good on ya! Good luck on stopping the misinformed threads!

ColoradoJens

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by vonhelton

Oh, sheesh!

dis info at it's best!!!

Yeah, right....next?

...you know what is coming in 2012....

What? This?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ad9ba46b54d8.jpg[/atsimg]

... and i guess you do not want people to start asking questions to soon huh?

Seems someone is ignoring the SLEW and TONS of nonsense threads already, here at ATS? :shk:

...wow TPTB are being very bold....

? LOL!!!! Chad from Western Australia is now the "PTB"?? Hoo.....

Hey, you're not THE 'von Helton', by any chance? (Or, just his "Number One Fan"?) You know....that insane American country hick dude from Kentucky who makes YouTube videos? And eats "smashed taters" on camera, during one of his idiotic diatribes?

LOL!!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bd2c6f45dfae.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I'd like to hear what people think about the possibility of entering another Maunder Minimum because it has been talked about recently and the solar forecast has been revised many more times than I would have expected.

The solar minimum was extraordinarily long, and there is a lot of speculation based on past activity, that we should have been seeing a LOT more activity by now than we have been.

Just some food for thought.

And I agree Chad... big difference between worrying about an earth-directed X-class flare than a few crackles in the C band.

S&F

~Namaste

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Hehehe, good thread.

Did someone really post a thread about a C Flare? Interesting.

Maybe next time I see a common meteor at night I'll post a thread on it. "ZOMG Meteor hits Earth!" That will be a uber-win thread for sure.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
The sun is doing funny things these days...Never noticed it doing these things when I was growing up..Here is a link to some of the strange things it is doing and how NASA is trying to cover it up...Good Post.....

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

S&F
maybe a policy of throwing "ZOMG!!! mother of all solar flares!!!!"
straight into the hoax bin unless it's a M or X -class flare might be necessary.

People better get used to seeing geomagnetic storms heading our way because the next few years it's going to be a constant thing and frankly we don't need thousands of threads reporting on B and C class solar flares.

y'know mate, it's amazing the looks of disbelief on peoples, when one explains about these things, or points out that the sun is a variable star. even scientists have difficulty accepting it

most people think of the sun's activity like it was a pilot light or a light bulb in terms of stability and constancy and haven't a clue as to what the term "relative stability" means

and most of those ZOMG posts no doubt were posted in the belief that the sun's acting up is a "new thing".

February 5, 2010: For some years now, an unorthodox idea has been gaining favor among astronomers. It contradicts old teachings and unsettles thoughtful observers, especially climatologists. "The sun," explains Lika Guhathakurta of NASA headquarters in Washington DC, "is a variable star." an artist's concept of the variable sunBut it looks so constant... That's only a limitation of the human eye. Modern telescopes and spacecraft have penetrated the sun's blinding glare and found a maelstrom of unpredictable turmoil. Solar flares explode with the power of a billion atomic bombs. Clouds of magnetized gas (CMEs) big enough to swallow planets break away from the stellar surface. Holes in the sun's atmosphere spew million mile-per-hour gusts of solar wind. And those are the things that can happen in just one day. Over longer periods of decades to centuries, solar activity waxes and wanes with a complex rhythm that researchers are still sorting out. The most famous "beat" is the 11-year sunspot cycle, described in many texts as a regular, clockwork process. In fact, it seems to have a mind of its own. Sign up for EXPRESS SCIENCE NEWS delivery "It's not even 11 years," says Guhathakurtha. "The cycle ranges in length from 9 to 12 years. Some cycles are intense, with many sunspots and solar flares; others are mild, with relatively little solar activity. In the 17th century, during a period called the 'Maunder Minimum,' the cycle appeared to stop altogether for about 70 years and no one knows why." There is no need to go so far back in time, however, to find an example of the cycle's unpredictability. Right now the sun is climbing out of a century-class solar minimum that almost no one anticipated.

Source:science.nasa.gov...

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Excellent post, very informative for a laymen to read and help me understand.

Now that I know what to watch out for in regards to flares, are there any other space-weather related events we should be keeping an eye on? If so, what are the limits so I know when to freak out?.

edit on 8-4-2011 by 1FullHouse because: grammar

edit on 8-4-2011 by 1FullHouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
zdgbd rthwrty45

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
you bring up a good point.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by PorroAgoVetusRespublica

please explain what you mean by this?

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Nice thread. Sort of explains why the weather here in California is going "back and forth". At one point it is cold then the next 10 minutes its super hot, then about 5 minutes later...cold......ridiculous.

I was like man this walk is very hot, when I get home I am going to start the AC. By the time I get home, it is so cold that I want to turn on the heater.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
It's doing what it has always done.

The only difference is that since the birth of the internet, websites have allowed people to look at every burp and hiccup and worry that something strange is happening.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

I know a severe solar storm can affect low frequency radio waves, such as short wave radio and amateur radio.

Then there are the high energy particles released by the sun that can cause radiation poisoning, but only if you're in space, out atmosphere protects us on earth.

Although higher radiation levels have been seen in high altitude and high latitude aircraft before.

But as for your questions, I don't have an answer readily available, sorry but will look into it more when I have a bit more time!

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
were all doomed doomed i tell ya doomed

i've been responsible for a few of them threads sorry i no better now
thanks chad s&f
edit on 8-4-2011 by majestic3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Ephesians777

I am very sorry to point out this obvious flaw in your reasoning:

Sort of explains why the weather here in California is going "back and forth"...

NO.....meteorology is complex, in and of itself already. Ever hear of "el Niño" and "el Niña"? Look them up....they have much, much more of a local effect on the West Coast of the USA (and elsewhere, along Pacific Basin countries of course) than a ball of fusion reaction roughly 93,000,000,000 miles away (on average).

Your post reminds me a bit of the nonsense being said back in the LATE 1960s, EARLY 1970s during the Apollo Program. YES!! Even back then, before the Internet, before Cable TV, before Sat TV.....when there weren't 24-hour News programs......BACK THEN people tried to fuss about the weather!!!

AND, when it seemed to behave (to them) "oddly".....a few (hundred, thousand?) uneducated people would spread the "word" that it was because of the "landings on the Moon". NO, I am NOT making this up!! I lived it, was alive then.....heard and saw it in action.

Not much different than today....only the methods of instant communication have changed, and greater numbers of people can be exposed to similar DIS-info......

edit on 8 April 2011 by weedwhacker because: ...had to change affect to the more correct effect. I am funny that way, about correcting grammar....

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I think ATS was made for people to post and start what they want. With valuable information that we can give and take. I think people need to remember that. Just because somebody thinks they know it all.. doesn't mean they do. That's why we exchange idea's and facts. So start away ATSer's. If the Thread you start is against any ATS rules. they'll let you know. Posting Information is not!

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I this Kuiper belt diagram actually portraying/suggesting that planet x is "weaving" in and out of all these planets or am I reading this wrong?

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Scientists have been saying for some time that there is a time of heightened sun activity coming up starting this year.

Nice post, but nothing new.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by CastleMadeOfSand

Solaris is one of the first apps I went for. Peace of Mind! I also got an Earthquake app.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join