It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for Pro Government Shutdown Advocates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
What is your plan to mitigate the long term solution regarding federal prison inmates, staff etc as well as on going federal legal proceedings? Do all inmates receive amnesty and a "Get Out of Jail" card?

I'm sure the infinite implications have been considered, thanks.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

There are already plans for this when it happens. The new guards would be National Guard members working as non-military personnel. There was a constitutional problem if they were to be active military or something. I don't really know all the fine line BS, but....don't think that our prisoners would be fed any less or be let out or something.....It will end up being people like disabled veterans and other people who deserve the money who will be cut short

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by THEDUDE86

According to the constitution, the nations military can't be used against the citizenry. That also falls in line with US citizens that happen to reside in the local prisons. That's why they will be deemed non-military. The frightening part is this could also be perceived as a test.

According to a book I've been reading, 63 Documents the Govt doesn't want you to read, has official documentation about the implementation of civil labor camps, and the governing body is the Army. It also goes into detail about the prison systems, the structured civil camps and how to operate and function within.

( no Im not suggesting a simple book as fact, but is interesting to say the least )

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

Don't happan to have a link to that book do you? Sounds for interesting reading.

Australian myself, but dam whats going on in the US freaks the hell out of me. Good thing about Aus? easy as all hell to go "off grid", and looks like we'll be at that stage soon

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I don't really want to re-rail the original posting or step on anyones toes.

But, when I read the title I could not resist taking the opportunity to include a question of my own.

If/when the government does shut down ... what happens to the debt?

Does it simply "go away" and the books are all balanced?

Does it simply remain there waiting to be repaid as it would have been anyway?

Does it actually increase because of the increase in interest?

I really would like to get as detailed an answer as possible from someone who "knows".
edit on 8-4-2011 by hdutton because: How did I get this old and still can't spell?

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
According to a book I've been reading, 63 Documents the Govt doesn't want you to read...

Props to Jesse Ventura. He has a good mind for politics, in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soltari
reply to post by Whereweheaded

Don't happan to have a link to that book do you? Sounds for interesting reading.

Australian myself, but dam whats going on in the US freaks the hell out of me. Good thing about Aus? easy as all hell to go "off grid", and looks like we'll be at that stage soon

No link, book is written by Jesse Ventura, ( 63 Documents the government doesn't want you to read) Also his other book American Conspiracies is good too~

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by hdutton

The debt remains, it doesn't just go away. This government shut down is nothing more than the 2 political parties having a pissing contest to see who flinches first...nothing more. This isn't the first time this has happened. I think twice in 1995, and once in 1996. ( take note in those years...and do you remember who was in office then? Hint: he was the guy that played with women in the oval office and experimented with cigars)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
reply to post by hdutton

The debt remains, it doesn't just go away. This government shut down is nothing more than the 2 political parties having a pissing contest to see who flinches first...nothing more. This isn't the first time this has happened. I think twice in 1995, and once in 1996. ( take note in those years...and do you remember who was in office then? Hint: he was the guy that played with women in the oval office and experimented with cigars)

I am very pleased to have gotten such a rapid and insightful reply to my question.

This is about what I expected and a large part of the reasonning behind my asking.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by hdutton
I don't really want to re-rail the original posting or step on anyones toes.

But, when I read the title I could not resist taking the opportunity to include a question of my own.

If/when the government does shut down ... what happens to the debt?

Does it simply "go away" and the books are all balanced?

Does it simply remain there waiting to be repaid as it would have been anyway?

Does it actually increase because of the increase in interest?

I really would like to get as detailed an answer as possible from someone who "knows".
edit on 8-4-2011 by hdutton because: How did I get this old and still can't spell?

No nothing happens to the debt - when you lose your job does the debt go away? Pretty silly question - if only it was that trivial.

Yes it increases due to interest but it always does. In the case of the federal government taxes are still collected, but with the shutdown less money gets paid out. So it will actually help.

What you and the OP do not seem to realize is we are headed towards half the government funding that currently exists being shut down permanently no matter what happens. So the idea we will not have to deal with this soon anyway is ridiculous.

This is why I am for the shutdown, people need to understand the seriousness of our situation, and most people pay no attention to warnings - they need to be affected personally to pay attention.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I am certainly no advocate of a govt. shutdown. However, as I understand it, furloughs will be issued on a day to day basis for non essential workers. I would think the security of our nations federal prisons would be deemed essential. On that same note, I am in favor of putting all members of congress on furlough as a penalty for their shenanigans. Pelosi can take the first cut for laying the foundation for this mess last year.

Last year was the first year since 1974 that a budget was not passed before the deadline. And here we sit debating this BS because these Reps. of the people refused to do their job..

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by proximo

My question were largely meant as retorical in the hope of starting some people thinking. I don't feel this would be either silly or trivial.

I am well aware of the current problems which face our country and I also know who is, if not responsible then, in charge of clearing up the mess.

I also know how these people got their current positions of employment and that before long they will ALL be asking us to allow them to retain these positions.

I can only hope we, as a group, will remember the character which each of them have shown when facing these problems.

We need adults to represent our interests in congress, not a bunch of bickering childern.

It is one thing to be a tough negotiator, but nothing gets done if only one side of a negotiation is willing to state a position and yet be flexible enough to actually work out a deal.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Since the vast majority of them are in there for made up crimes to begin with let them all out.

And stop expecting somebody else to protect you. As it is nobody is doing that anyway. They just come take pictures after you've been attacked. You're the only one who can protect you.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Since the vast majority of them are in there for made up crimes to begin with let them all out.

And stop expecting somebody else to protect you. As it is nobody is doing that anyway. They just come take pictures after you've been attacked. You're the only one who can protect you.

Welcome to the new America, the Wild Wild West. :shk:

Proposing to free all inmates, glad to know you've thought this through.

@ Jibeho. I agree with most of your sentiments.
But please note I said long term.
Going weeks / months without a paycheck tends to affect prison worker's productivity.
edit on 8-4-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Heres another thread I think may tap into what members are discussing here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Right, because all of those DUI's and drug users are just going to burn the whole nation down.

And history tells us the West was never so wild as is portrayed in the popular fiction.

But it's all about that either/or, isnt it?

Either you're happy in your chains or your a lunatic who belongs in Somalia.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by THEDUDE86

There are already plans for this when it happens. The new guards would be National Guard members working as non-military personnel. There was a constitutional problem if they were to be active military or something.

I think the Constitution forbids the military from being used on American soil, but I think the National Guard is a militia and can be ordered by the governor to do whatever.

About freeing inmates... we can free most inmates in federal facilities, since only 7.9% of them are incarcerated for violent crimes.

The rest? I guess a mix of entrepreneurs (called drug dealers in the legal system), fraudsters, that sort of thing. I don't see society taking a huge nosedive with them being on the outside.

Your state prisons are the ones that seem to handle the murderers and whatnot, with 50% of state inmates in there for violent crimes. But since we're only talking about a federal gov't shutdown, state facilities should be unaffected.
edit on 8-4-2011 by ayoss because: murders -> murderers

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Right, because all of those DUI's and drug users are just going to burn the whole nation down.

Oh yeah I forgot there are no convicted felons serving time who committed murder, rape, armed robbery or child molestation.

Whew for a minute there I was getting worried, feeling better already.
/insincerity
edit on 8-4-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Jesse Ventura: Clandestine US missions
Has the US secretly started wars and assassinated leaders?

You'd never see an interview done like this on MSM, like when Jesse Ventura was interview on Piers Morgan on CNN for instance.
A must watch if anyone hasn't seen it yet.
english.aljazeera.net...

top topics

join