It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman, 27, died weighing 11kg in the Brighton home of her parents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
www.news.com.au...
A woman died WEIGHING LESS THAN A 2 YEAR OLD!

A BEDRIDDEN woman weighed just 11kg when she died at the Adelaide home she shared with her parents.
The parents of the 27-year-old woman are likely to face criminal neglect charges, possibly manslaughter, depending on the results of a police investigation and Coroner's findings, according to The Advertiser.

Police yesterday would not comment any further on the investigation but acknowledged that details about the case obtained by The Advertiser were accurate.

South Australian spokesman for the Australian Defence Lawyers Association Craig Caldicott said no charges could be laid in relation to the woman's death until the Coroner's office handed down its findings from the police report.

He said charges might extend to manslaughter because of a lack of providing nutrition to a dependent.

Professor Ian Chapman, from the Division of Medicine at the University of Adelaide, said an average girl, 2, would weigh about 12kg. The average weight for a woman in Australia is 67.7kg.

I can't imagine how parents can slowly starve their bedridden daughter to death - these people can't be normal can they?

There's no details yet as to why they did this. Maybe they are old and couldn't cope - in which case they could have asked for help, surely?

This young woman must have looked in a pathetic and shocking condition for a long time before dying at 11kg. How awful it would have been for her to endure, and with no way to get help for herself

Shocking.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
And where the blazes were the community nurses who are supposed to be informed by family doctors to keep an eye on people WTF our country Australia is going to the dogs

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

This is disgusting.
The poor women must have been nothing but bones.
The sight of her would be a shocking one to see. The parents need to be chared with something, and i think we know it dosen't take a coroner to work that out.

Truely a sad sad tale.
May she finally rest in peace

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by shroudnews77
And where the blazes were the community nurses who are supposed to be informed by family doctors to keep an eye on people WTF our country Australia is going to the dogs

Agreed people should have been checking up , ie the doctors, but you know as well as i do that a doctor doesn't care, a doctor never goes out of their way anymore. Humanity has gone to S$%T from the top of the tree down unto its roots. We dont seem to care about one another unless there is money involved and thats the scary part of this world it seems that the money matters more.

I only hope we can change before its to late.

edit on 8-4-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-4-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I have no idea how these things can possibly happen unless that poor girl was kept completely under the radar all her life & she'd been neglected throughout.
The poor woman seem's to have had no contact with the outside world or friends & just kept a secret shut in.

Interested to see the final verdict on this case.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by meathed

Humanity has gone to S$%T from the top of the tree down unto its roots. We dont seem to care about one another unless there is money involved and thats the scary part of this world it seems that the money matters more.

I winced when I read this, but it is so true - this case proves it

I think there are quite a few guilty people in this case besides the parents - doctors, nurses, and different community workers. I'm no medical person but I'm sure the woman didn't lose all that weight in a couple of weeks, it's obvious that anyone concerned in her welfare were not doing their job for a long time.

It's appalling.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by shroudnews77

Probably exactly why the girl died - the parents were sitting back waiting for 'Big Sister' to come in and make everything all better. Grrrr!

Sorry, but your post/opinion just RILES me up to no end.

WE ARE THE PARENTS - NOT the State!

As for the parents and this poor child... We need to hear a lot more information before lighting the torches and sharpening the pitchforks!

Scoliosis of the spine is horrific when it’s severe. The spine can push so hard on the hard and lungs that the heart stops and the lungs quit functioning correctly.

Use your heads! If this girl was squashed by her own spine can you imagine her absolute lack of desire to eat??? And with the pain she was suffering?

So what am I asking or getting around to? Mercy killing. Is that we're seeing her? Because if anyone has a right to put their 27 year old daughter out of her misery - the parents do.

And don‘t get up on your high horse about starvation being a horrible way to die. SURE it is, but HOSPITALS allow patients to STARVE TO DEATH and they do it ALL THE TIME and LEGALLY.

See what I mean?

May she rest in peace - she’s surely in a better place now and bedridden no more,

peace

edit on 8-4-2011 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

maybe the girl was ill and couldnt eat? she was bedridden so there was obviously some type of illness there, its easy to jump on the bandwagon and blame the parents without knowing the full details, was the girl lying in her own feaces and urine? if so then yes there could be a case for neglect, but if she was clean and well kempt but died to either starvation OR the illness that had made her bedridden in the first place is still to be determined....

ill hold my opinions until the full story is revealed.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Not sure its fair to blame doctors or even society for this appalling case.

Did any doctor know of the young womans existence?....did neighbours...she could have been kept hidden for years, after the parents told everyone she had moved away.

Surely this is about the personal responsibilty of the parents who are imho the ones to point the finger at.

We cannot have it all ways, we want to live our lives (most of us) with as little state intervention as possible, yet when anything goes wrong we yell "where were you"

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I heard she had scoliosis,
that does not excuse the situation here.
Human beings do not do this to people, a word beginning with C and ending with TS, is my only description of this people...

Sorry Mods, I would spell the complete word if I could...
She did not deserve this.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
My bet is this young woman had a severe disability and was too much of a burden for the parents so they let her die but not before they cashed in living off the carers allowance for as long as they could.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Well firstly, she isn't a child, she was 27.
Secondly, I have no idea what procedures are in place in the country in question, but in the UK theres a screening programme of all teens around 11/15 range in schools for scoliosis of the spine so it can be treated if needed. Indeed my friend suffers from this condition and though she gets occasional pain the main problem is that its impeeded her natural height by a few inches and left her with a bit of a hump but she's not fussed cos her ginormous tit's compensate and noone really notices it.

As for the notion of a mercy killing. Well I can think of better & more merciful ways to go about it than starvation. Indeed theres no need for the girl to starve or fail to thrive in that respect even if she couldnt manage solid foods.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Im sorry i made you wince. But you made me shed a tear when i read your thread. Im from Oz and i cant believe that this happened here.
I agree that there are many that should be held accountable. But we as humans are responsible too. We are neglecting our own kind for the almighty dollar, and it is sad sad fact. We end up getting caught in the rat race that is life, we get stuck on caring about ourselves and those ones that are close to us, and we dont seem to care about the others that make up this world. Its like the saying, you cant see the forest through the trees..
Its quiet frightening when we think about it.

I have to ask myself the question, what have we done to the world, and what example are we teaching the children.

Peace

Meathed

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by dizzylizzy

You are right of course - without the full facts I shouldn't jump to conclusions

I guess I was quick to assume because it is difficult to believe that disabled children are hidden away and kept secret like this their whole lives.

It's like a story from the past, it's tragic.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
This certainly is a horrific case, no matter how you look at it. BUT perhaps they were wrong in measuring the weight of this girl??? If you dig a little deeper into the links the OP provided, here's what you find.

www.adelaidenow.com.au...#

Professor Tim Olds, from the University of South Australia's School of Health Sciences, said a weight of 11kg was "simply not possible".

"I don't believe that's possible," he said.

"I've written quite a bit about this.

"I've looked at records from death camps and starvation cases and that's simply not possible."

new topics

top topics

join