It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking Cessation Thread.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Just want to say good luck to everyone! Intrepid, you're awesome! Relentless, keep at it and don't give up. To everyone who's quit, congrats!

I don't smoke and never have, but can I still be in the cheering section?

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cercey
Just want to say good luck to everyone! Intrepid, you're awesome! Relentless, keep at it and don't give up. To everyone who's quit, congrats!

Sure can. We need all the help we can get. And thanks.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Well if the worst part is over I think I might just make it. The past two days have been nothing like all my previous attempts. I am actually felling fine. I even forgot to bring anything to work with me just in case and I still made it. (I do have quite an arsenal from previous attempts, patch, gun, inhaler - you name it).

I figure at this point the nicotine should be physically clearing from my system so I'm going to see if I can just keep going without adding any back.

I will admit 2 Drs. have given me the Wellbutrin in the past but neither told me to use it properly or at the proper doses and I failed. (There are separate instructions if you are using it to quit smoking as oppossed to taking it for depression). This time (since I had enough from last time) I looked up the directions on the web and followed that and I am STUNNED & AMAZED! It is really painless so far compared to every attempt in the past.

As for hubby, he must suspect, he seems to be smoking more out on the lanai when I am around. We will have to have that talk tonight and make it a rule now that I feel confident he can't undermine my efforts this time (not that he does it on purpose - he just does).

One more hour, one more day.........

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cercey

ABSOLUTELY! That's what this thread is for, - for those who do smoke to quit and the ones who don't to cheer us on. The only thing you can't do on this thread is be an anti-smoker in our face person.

I for one find it real nice and a great change of pace to actually get a good work from a non-smoker to a smoker- so rare these days.

THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Awesome Relentless!! Keep It up!! Day three is the worst, so be prepared, but after day three, it all goes much smoother!!!! YAY so far!!! You can do it! I know you can!!!

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I'm jumping in here, this is my second attempt this year, managed 3 months and actually got to a point where I was going without patches and feeling OK then all sorts of poo hit the fan and I leapt for the packet. The trouble is now when I go back to it it feels wrong, hence the multiple attempts. This is my forth day (with patches) and I'm thinking of having some hypnotherapy to bolster my will power.

All luck to everyone else, best wishes to me!

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Glad to hear your hubby is being supportive, he may even be envious so you might have some resistance at first. Good luck. Thanks for jumping in UM. Good luck to you as well. And thanks to everyone for helping us in this.

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Hi UM, welcome to the fight As for the hypnosis, you should be able to find someone that has a one shot session with a second included free of charge if needed. They usually take you quickly and the second session can be an emergency (as that's what it's for). A dual treatment approach is suppossed to really increase your chances. I also am hearing about quite a few people who have done a one shot deal with acupuncture as oppossed to hypnosis. The important thing is to just keep trying till you find the right method for you. (I have tried almost everything in the past and really thought nothing would work at this point, but in my case the Wellbutrin was the key.)

Made it to day four, yesterday WAS hard, I really wasn't ready for it but somehow I hung on and made it another day.

Acutally had a dream last night that while driving around that I looked down and realized I was smoking. I was horrified and put it out immediately and was so mad at myself. Guess that's a pretty good sign - huh?

Thanks for everyone's encouragement so far. The big difference on this attempt for me is even though I say I have gone up to 10 days in previous attempts, I have never not cheated a little (oh, one puff or two won't hurt). Well, apparently it is a big deal and undermines the whole attempt in ways I didn't really think about. This time I have stayed totally puff free so far and now at the beginning day four I have a lot more confidence that I can take this farther than previous attempts.

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless
Thanks for everyone's encouragement so far. The big difference on this attempt for me is even though I say I have gone up to 10 days in previous attempts, I have never not cheated a little (oh, one puff or two won't hurt). Well, apparently it is a big deal and undermines the whole attempt in ways I didn't really think about. This time I have stayed totally puff free so far and now at the beginning day four I have a lot more confidence that I can take this farther than previous attempts.

I know exactly what you mean. Spouse lights up, whats a little puff off the end of that going to hurt. Been there, done that. You're doing it Relentless. The fact that you haven't cheated is a good thing. Hang in there.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
then at least be a horrible warning.

(THIS IS REALLY HARD FOR ME TO POST)

Well, I will pretend I am doing a great public service here by admiting I fell off the horse today.

I woke up to day 5 actually feeling like I finally knew it was over and I wouldn't smoke again. Maybe I was over confident.

I must admit that I didn't need to smoke. The pills are working great and this was relatively painless compared to any attempt in the past. My problem (that I have alluded to previously & kick me off here to the relationship thread if you must - :bash
is that my DH started avoiding me like the plague & I couldn't handle it. He never said a word about the fact that I wasn't smoking, he just started avoiding me to the point it was ridiculous. He wanted to smoke but he didn't want to smoke around me (though I never asked him not to) so he was living in the garage. Okay, it is funny, have a good laugh - we live in FL, it is like an oven out there this time of year, what the hey? He's got the cable hooked up, cause it's his woodshop, but honestly, I was starting to worry about a couch showing up at this point.

Anyway, I finally made him talk to me this evening. I told him here's the deal. Either he does it too or I move on (with the quitting) without him, and then don't worry about me cause I don't want things to be this weird. (Don't hide from me). He tells me he want's to do it too and will call his Dr. to make an appointment for the Wellbutrin tomorrow. If he does, (tomorrow) I will wait for him and start over with him. If he doesn't I am jumping right back on the horse. So, this fall may be good in the end for the "us" OR it will just be another setback for "me".

I will share the following observations I have learned this time around:

My house stinks, my car stinks, my office stinks, I must stink. This is disgusting! I don't know how anyone visits us (must be the FL location, the pool & the 10 minutes off the shore, I don't think it's worth it, though it may explain why some of my sisters have bought their own homes down here - LOL). It is far beyond what I could have imagined. Actually, I don't care if my office stinks, it's not that the smell bothers me, it's that I don't want my house, my stuff/me to smell like that. It's shameful. Wahhhhhhhh.

It's all or nothing, one puff puts you back at square one - don't kid yourself.

If you are in a smoking relationship and one quits, things will change. Hey, if one wants to smoke & the other doesn't, when you both always have for 15 years, it can get complicated. Get in therapy first (only half kidding).

You're gonna gain a few pounds - get over it, you can deal with that later. (I'm good for 2 pounds a day).

So there's my pathetic excuse for smoking today, which only serves any purpose if having failed, I then try again and succeed I suppose (which is my intent). I will try to be the one that shows you can mess up and still win in the end. After all, I am relentless, and this is the ONLY thing in my life that ever had a hold of me... that I couldn't overcome. It beats me at the intellectual level, the physical level, the spiritual level. It's a stinking (no pun intended) little piece of vegetation for heavens sake - UGH!!!!

P.S. I know a lot of people have sued the tobacco companies over this kind of stuff, but look - this is my fault - no excuses! At least I can admit that.
:shk:

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Relentless

Dont wait for him do it on your own.

Ultimitely it is something you have to do alone

We believe in you

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Don't get down on yourself, that's counterproductive. Like Amuk says jump back on. Maybe you will be able to blaze the way for your husband, let him know the pitfalls because you have already been through them.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Relentless, sorry to hear that your attempt to quit failed. But I have confidence that you will beat this thing once and forall!!

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Smoke free 11 days, Nicotine free 20 hrs. Didn't put the patch on today, brought it with me just in case but it's going well. Heard from the wife today, she's doing well too. Woohoo.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Smoke free 11 days, Nicotine free 20 hrs. Didn't put the patch on today, brought it with me just in case but it's going well. Heard from the wife today, she's doing well too. Woohoo.

Wow Intredid - off the patch so soon? That is great (I actually know quite a few people who used the gum and never got off it.) It takes only three days for nicotine to clear out of the system so go for it if you can handle it.

I will try again within the next 24 hours either way rather than stop the Wellbutrin and have to start all over.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Stomach's a little tense, so am I, but it's not unbearable. Just think of yourself Relentless, and look at your signiture, you can do this.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Day 2 without the patch, stomach still tense, but I don't think they will find the bodies.
Not that bad, better than yesterday. Relentless, how's it going?

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Well, hubby didn't move forward and to tell the truth, I had been off the cigs long enough to see that I feel like crap now.

You guys are right, I can't wait for him. But I am out of the detox herbs and apparently they were adding to the success of the pills. So I will order another batch this week and start over as soon as they come (staying on the pills so I don't have to restart that and wait anouther week to jump in.

At least I am determined to keep making a fool of myself and try again. This time I will just keep doing it till it takes (but I hope to God that I have learned my lesson this time - geez).

So intrepid - did you make it the third day nicotine free? They say it takes 3 days to get out of your system then 2 weeks for your brain to readjust to live without it. I'd say you are doing amazing moving foward to quickly.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Yep, still off the patch, everything is OK. Wish I had the foresight to buy stock in a toothpick making company, I would have made a killing.
Hang in there Relentless, you haven't failed until you stop trying.

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   

I quit smoking as well on July 26. My hudand came home and said that he was going to quit on Monday, so I told him that I would quit with him as it would be easier if we did it together.
What I find so amazing is that all the times before that I tried to quit and failed ,but this time it is different some how.That's not to say that it has been a piece of cake but it seems to be easier this time for some reason.
Anyway I'll keep you all posted on how it's going

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join