It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking Cessation Thread.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I'm quitting smoking July 26, 2004. I will be updating this, probably daily. If any members want to jump on the bandwagon, hop aboard this thread and we can do this together. But prepare yourself, don't just say, "I quit." You will be more successful if you put together a plan. I will be using the patch, but there are other methods, whatever works for you.

I put this here, as opposed to chit chat due to the seriousness of the topic.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Thanks for this. I have just encouraged anyone who reads my thread to head here instead. I think this is what I was ultimately after anyway.

Let me be the first to say GOOD LUCK!

I'm gonna go find my Wellbutrin and try it again.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
My well wishes to you all

Relentless

Like Intrepid said take your time and make a plan your chance of quiting is a lot greater that way.

Get the pills and the gum and set a date and above all

NEVER GIVE UP

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
My well wishes to you all

Relentless

Like Intrepid said take your time and make a plan your chance of quiting is a lot greater that way.

Get the pills and the gum and set a date and above all

NEVER GIVE UP

Thanks Amuk! Please keep coming back. I think this thread has the potential to really be educational and help some of us. I think all smokers who ultimately want to quit (isn't that really all of us?), whether they are ready too or not, should follow this, watch it unfold and encourage their fellow smokers to get off if they are ready. (IF we promise - and I do - not to become one of those obnoxious ex-smokers, this doesn't help). I also think successful quitters can help.

Is there any legitimate way to encourage participation on a thread like this for those who could help but don't grab the thread?

P.S. I have the pills, so I will try them again. Once I got the proper dosage it seemed to work for 2 days, then something went wrong and I felt too weird to take them. I am hoping if I take them the way they were intended (before I quit instead of 10 days into it when I am already a psycho) it might actually help.

I will give it 3 days, & if I don't have an adverse reaction this time I will give it a shot and of course call my PC to let him know I am trying again and am back on the pills. I was already thinking about doing this tonight anyway before this all came up.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I strongly recomend using the gum also it helps with the oral part of smoking and you can slowly subsitute plain gum, lifesavers, lemon drops, etc as time goes on. The good part is you will feel high for a few days after you quit, I guess its all the air getting to your brain.....LOL

Also as Intrepid said KEEP BUSY.

When the urge hits you dont think OMG I cant have a cig, just wash your car, mow the lawn, fix those little repairs around the house, etc.

It will get your mind off it and your home will look great.....LOL

Keeping busy is the key along with staying away, for the first few days anyhow, from smokers as much as possible. When I done it instead of eating lunch with the smokers I would go sit in my car and liston to music.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

Also as Intrepid said KEEP BUSY.

Well, then now is the time for me as we are down one person at the office and I am needing to put in extra time to keep up!

Another piece of hope - my life is hell, I have a better chance of quitting.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   
OK Relentless, it's you and me. I've got the patches, gum, toothpicks and, hopefully, the will. Good luck to the both of us.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Intrepid, you lead on this. I am still in the planning stage, so here we go.

Swallows first Wellbutrin and goes to bed.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Good luck intrepid.

Get all the help and support you can.

Make a plan to keep yourself busy when you would normally smoke. For instance, if you reach for a cigarette after every meal perhaps you take the dog for a walk then? You need to change your routine so you don't automatically think of smoking.

Here's a couple of sites with tips you may find helpful.

www.givingupsmoking.co.uk...

www.ash.org.uk...

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Yes good luck, you can do it! Every time you feel the urge to smoke drop down and do 20 pushups, the time it takes may curve your desire to smoke.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Good Luck to all who are quitting, I did it, and it was hard as heck!!! I did the nicotine gum, and lots of hard candies and regular gum. Never tried the pills, and couldn't do the patch. My blog has info on how I quit, but let me tell you, it is soo hard. But it is soooooooo worth it to quit!! Ever walk a great distance, or run up a flight of stairs? and then curse yourself for smoking?? I used to all the time!! now I can breath! it is amazing. I have been smoke free for a month or two now I think. My new job makes me want to start up again though i tell ya! But it's not worht it. Everything is so much easier, and I'm gonna for-warn ya, once you quit smoking you can smell. and i don't just mean normal stuff, your gonna notice smells youve never smelled before!! Its rough but I have confidence that everyone can do it. If you set your mind to it, and say IM GOING TO QUIT then you can. I have tried before, i was only sucsessfull this time, because i BELIEVED I could do it.

GOOD LUCK again to all of you, Its a rough road, but YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!! and if anyone is interested, I have an e-book that a good friend of mine gave to me called "breaking the chains" (on quitting smoking) she said that if you read it, you'll never want to smoke again. I havn't personally read it, but plan on it. (its the reason she quit smoking) just U2U me, and I can email it to ya!!

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Woah, I just saw this thread. I think I'll take you up intrepid, I'll quit too right after this last, final smoke! No, I'm serious, I'll keep people updated on this thread along with intrepid. Good luck everyone else who is quiting and may the eternal be with us...

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by smilingsarah82
and if anyone is interested, I have an e-book that a good friend of mine gave to me called "breaking the chains" (on quitting smoking) she said that if you read it, you'll never want to smoke again. I havn't personally read it, but plan on it. (its the reason she quit smoking) just U2U me, and I can email it to ya!!

Yes, the book is good, SmilingSarah already sent it to me a week or 3 ago. I have been reading it and though I haven't finished it yet (you are suppossed to stop when you do), I do think that is what put me in this mindset to go for the stop smoking one more time.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
Woah, I just saw this thread. I think I'll take you up intrepid, I'll quit too right after this last, final smoke! No, I'm serious, I'll keep people updated on this thread along with intrepid. Good luck everyone else who is quiting and may the eternal be with us...

Jamuhn - Welcome to the thread! Wow - you're just gonna go for it? GOOD LUCK!

I am gonna give myself a few days for the Wellbutrin to take effect before I take the final plunge, but it will be good to prepare myself by watching you guys do it first.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Intrepid, Jamuhn?

How is it going? If you're just too cranky today, remember this thread will understand

Please check in. I am on # 2 Wellbutrin and felt pretty weird this AM (didn't like it) but it seems to be subsiding. I am going for this in about a week.

If you didn't make it today, there's always tomorrow.

The reason I think smilingsarah's book will add to my success is cause it really threw in my face all the things that make you fail that I have done the times I did.

Best Wishes - Hang in there to inspire me.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I'm alright, feeling kind of sick and sleepy, but thats abuot it. LOL. Damn I need one right about now...

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
I'm alright, feeling kind of sick and sleepy, but thats abuot it. LOL. Damn I need one right about now...

You've done well! Made it a day. Now the next one is just another.

Go to sleep NOW!:w: Whatever it takes to make sure you finish a day without one.

Who am I kidding? I didn't even get that far yet.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Sorry about yesterday, you got it right Relentless, felt like dung, bad mood too. Tried to post as little as possible. Feeling a little better today, less tense. Guess the first day IS the worst. I'm finding the toothpicks to be of more value than the gum. BTW, Freespirit has jumped on board. Good thing we work opposite shifts this week. We tried to quit together 10 years ago and damn near killed each other after about 6 hours. Keep your heads up everyone, it gets easier.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Congrats to you both

The hard parts over now all you have to do is repeat yesterday.

Take it one day at a time, dont think "I can never have another smoke"

Think I wont have one right now instead I will mow the lawn, work out, take a walk, etc whatever gets you through it.

You CAN do it

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   
That's true Amuk, today is better than yesterday. Tomorrow probably easies still. One word guys, TOOTHPICKS. Let your hand travel to them too. They will anyway. This is the habit part. How's it going guys?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join