It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bloodless Coup?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Okay, I'll admit it, that could be an exaggeration:but, this is a conspiracy website and this is the thought that I keep coming back to across the past couple of days.

This is about the government shutdown.
Now, I would love to wake up tomorrow and find out that they have come to terms. But, I am not hopeful. And, I keep thinking that a shut down actually serves to almost immediately create exactly the state of affairs that the new class of (imho) Rabid Republicans are looking to implement.

They want less Federal Government. Well, that would certainly be accomplished.
They want less Federal Spending.
They want more states rights (well, a diminished Fed will get them there faster than a vote by vote on issue after issue).

There are more newly elected Governors in power right now than ever before. And they are Republican. A new breed of Republican. A breed which has me shaking my head in horror. And I signed up for the GOP the day I turned 18.

In another thread the poster admits to voting for Obama. I voted for him too. It was also my first time crossing the line. That poster thinks they made a mistake. It was an interesting post, but I am glad I didn't vote Republican. I wish I had crossed on the more local level as well.

The new Republicans are attempting to institute platforms on which they simply did not run. They are abusing their power as surely as they have griped about the over reaching of the Fed in terms of mandates (both funded and unfunded) for years.

If they can keep the government shut down for any length of time, can't they then turn around in a month, or two, or even longer and say "see, we don't need them this stripped down version works just fine".

Why argue each point on the hill in public view if you can just get the Federal Government shut down. I will readily admit to a lack of expertise here (help me out people!) but if over reaches by the Federal Government came via funded mandates (like drinking ages, and highway spending, do what the Fed wants if you want the Fed dollars, etc.) then if the money dried up long enough it would become easier for each state to revert to what they would do if the funded mandate had never existed.

I must confess, there are ways in which I am not entirely opposed to this and find it rather Machiavellian in its brilliance and simplicity. But, it's also equally Machiavellianly underhanded.

Part of me feels that if this is done purposely there really is a sheer genius for the "take back our country" crowd. But at the same time it would show a blatant disregard for the will of the people and doing things in the open that makes me very nervous that we would be heading into a time period of little fiefdoms.

The sudden concern for funding the troops long term without addressing the rest of the issue makes me feel more like this is a coup attempt of sorts. Both because the military is always a Republican issue (and, for the record the troops always have my full support) and because nobody looking to drastically change the balance of power wants to risk angry, unpaid, trained, soldiers running around.

It's totally paranoid. I know that. But I am not convinced that means I'm wrong.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
You are not paranoid. Tomorrow go and find "The Shock Doctrine" by Naomi Klein. Find a quiet place, and read it. Then you will understand why I do not think you are paranoid.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by watcher3339

Stopping the money for the government is like stopping payments of taxes... lol Try not paying taxes and see if some government claims to represent all the people and YOU and TAKES money from YOU like some hungry child... At least there is a process where this can half-way happen! Cut those puppies off man!

Why even worry a government can be shut-down.... seems a government that CAN'T be shut down might be something for people to consider?

Another thought... why do so many people consider a government not being given money and a government going into more debt... both not an option? Who do people think is going to pay the government debt? The government? lol Would you keep giving your friend or kids MORE money when you KNOW they will bleed you dry? When you know they lie to you ALL the time and will say anything to keep their agendas going?

new topics

join