It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

kakistocracy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
A friend of mine recently posted a FB message in which he labelled the USA a kakistocracy.

I'd never encountered the word before...in my 1/2 century on this planet (and no I'm not goingto tell you how long on any other!
), so I looked it up, as all well edumacated folk of my generation do, in my Collins dictionary...nit having an OED handy....and it wasn't there

So I went to the 2nd line - the 'net, and lo and behold there it is:

Definitions of kakistocracy on the Web:

1/ Kakistocracy is a crust hardcore band that formed in 1997. The band originally formed in Bristol, Virginia with guitarist and vocalist Matt Casteel, bassist and vocalist Daniel Serber, and drummer Josh Kelly. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakistocracy_(band)

2/ Government under the control of a nation's worst or least-qualified citizens
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/kakistocracy

3/ a system of rule by the worst men.
www.electionalize.com/info-govermentterm.asp

I'm pretty sure he didn't mean #1........

So it got me thinking - as far as I can see pretty much every nation on the planet is a kakistocracy by this definition. and probably every local and state government too.

I guess there may be a school committee somewhere that isn't...
cut can anyone think of a country that it isnt' appropriate for?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Finally, something you and I can agree on. The question then becomes are they the worst on purpose once they get into office? Or are the voters just blind? Sadly I have been aware that politics are a farce for far too long. Plus, you might as well expand your question to include history as well as geography. Maybe we can pinpoint the exact moment when politics/governments went into the crapper. Then again, maybe it's always been that way.

join