It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Car Engine Sends Shock Waves Through Auto Industry

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by civilchallenger

Couldnt have said it any better.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Oil prices seem to be encouraging quite a bit of research into more efficient combustion engines. Not as radical as the Wave Disc Generator, Liquid Pistons' New Rotary Engine Design is claiming a theoretical efficiency of 74%.

Video at MIT Technology Review.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
This will be bought out, a law will prohibit it or they will die in accidents.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by General.Lee
Well, the Japanese already had a water-fueled car with working prototypes. Big government will get their hands on this. The goal is to make sure big oil doesn't get the shaft. There is too much money in big oil to let this happen. Remember, the government does exactly what they want to do. If they really wanted new, efficient technology on the road, then we would have new, efficient technology on the road.

If I'm not mistaken, the Model T only got about a mile or so less per gallon than our national average MPG. The combustion engine is archaic compared to the rate at which other technologies have advanced. This is by design. Don't think for a minute that it isn't.

So many on this thread displaying their commitment to brainwashed mediocrity and ignorance. Let's deny mediocrity as well as ignorance.

Quit talking about "the government" as though it is a monolithic all-powerful omnicient entity. It is not. It is people who hold government positions who are making these backward unproductive greedy wasteful decisions. Government must be made more open, transparent, and accountable. In other words, those within government who make these decisions must be held accountable for what they do during the time they act as government decision makers. They have far too much immunity.

We need a new way of addressing the theft of innovation that's being discussed here, with new laws with penalties that are severe enough to deter those, both within government and in the private sector, who engage in such practices. Every government shill who does that sort of thing is a thief robbing humanity as a whole.

edit on 4/8/2011 by dubiousone because: Clarification

edit on 4/8/2011 by dubiousone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Unfortunately, this seems dead in the water before it's even left the pier.

It seems the information we're provided with on this is about as clear as the information we're getting out of Japan.

However, researchers at Michigan State University have built a prototype gasoline engine that requires no transmission, crankshaft, pistons, valves, fuel compression, cooling systems or fluids.

The engine has a rotor that's equipped with wave-like channels that trap and mix oxygen and fuel as the rotor spins. These central inlets are blocked off, building pressure within the chamber, causing a shock wave that ignites the compressed air and fuel to transmit energy.

So it doesn't require fuel compression, but release of energy from compressed fuel is how it works?

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
But we're still using gas. I'd tell them all to go back to square one & figure it out again!! Until we can have a car that runs off unicorn blood, I don't wanna hear it!

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
It bothers me how cynical I'm becoming, but every time I read about one of these amazing new inventions, I just think "it'll never happen".

And it never does.

They all just go off to some invention graveyard, never to be heard from again, while the oil companies continue killing the planet and making record profits - year after year. I don't know what it's going to take to free us from this death-grip they have on us, but whatever it is, we haven't seen it yet (most likely because they haven't figured out how to make obscene profits off it)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by coyotepoet

Thanks for the reply, but no I haven't seen that documentary. I have heard of it, just never have watched it. But, now that you reminded me and the weekend is here, it might just happen.

I based my statement on countless observations where money and/or public perception created an insurmountable opposition to common sense. Its sad that life is the way it is. People I speak to are always mentioning their own common sense or this guy doesn't have any common sense...blah blah blah. The truth is, that the entire system is so corrupted by money, oil, guns, the ultimate culprit being greed that doing the right thing or using common sense has virtually all but disappeared. We all know its wrong yet most teach their children to do the same because they cannot imagine a different world. Well, here is a little newsflash...20 years from now the world as we know it will be so different we wouldn't be able to recognize it if we woke up tomorrow and it was 2030. How it is different, depends on what you and I do. Change yourself, and the world just might change as a result.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

While I agree that we need to ween ourselves off of oil, it is naive to say that automotive technology hasn't changed much in 30 years. This article outlines that we've cut auto emissions by 73% since 1970. That's nothing to sneeze at.

special.pacificresearch.org...

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by rle4lunch

Why do we have to ween ourselves off of oil???? It comes from the Earth. It is natural. what the heck is wrong with oil? Its there, use it. Put aside the "green" bs that it is causing global warming (which there is no evidence it is) as well as it is a limited resource that comes from decayed dinosaurs.
The Earth bleeds oil. The supply will never diminish. If you actually believe oil is a "fossil fuel" that comes from decaying matter you better wake up. There arent billions of gallons of oil underground from decaying life matter. do you see any middle-ground of decaying matter that isn't "quite-yet oil"?? No. Do you know why? Because the Earth bleeds oil from the mantle to the upper layers.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I realize this repeats the original headline, but I have to ask: What shockwaves? Really? So all they've done so far is present a prototype to DARPA. That's nice, truly, but we don't see GM, Ford, etc. rushing to DARPA beating the doors down in their "shock." Indeed, there's no particular evidence that car makers even know about this. Until the industry mags are all writing about this at once, quoting engineers and CEOs about this marvelous breakthrough, I don't think we're going to see any "shockwaves."

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
If maybe the idiots at the top kept refining the first electric cars and improving the freaking battery, instead of taking the path of Oil, we would be somewhere right now. Everyone needs to understand that we didn't sweep anything under the rug. We have always had choices but we keep making the wrong decisions. Just imagine if we had kept working on that big electric battery, it would probably be the size of this text box, able to push the vehicle at probably up to 100 Mph. So sad. Decisions, decisions.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Great thinking but we should pay respect where it's due:

en.wikipedia.org...

And yes I still love the Mazda RX-7

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Teabags

I agree with you on what you've said, but I forgot to add 'foreign' to my sentence. I don't buy the 'global warming' crap either. We can never live without oil. Oil is in nearly everything that we use besides cars. I do think that we need to develop hydrogen and nuclear hybrids as well though. The more options we have, the less control the Middle East will have on our sovereignty.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by phatpackage

25 KW hahahahahahaha! Rotary hahahahahaha! My Chev powered Holden car puts out at least 15 times more power than that! Who cares, love my cars, love burning fossil fuels no matter how we acquire the oil hahaha! We will most likely run out of oil before we kill the environment anyway! So rev it up whether your choice is Turbo, V8, V12, Mazda Rotary or Diesel whatever ..... burn it up! This piece of machinery is a dud!

This post epitomizes the american consumer.. thanks for showing us just how the everyman thinks..

well done.. well done..

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by rle4lunch

Unfortunately these engineers inventions are monitored by the department of transportation, (just another government agency) So they get the final say on an invention such as this. You can bet that the oill tycoons also pressure agencies such as the D.o.t by paying them off, and thats why these gas saving inventions never come to light. These oil companies are posting record profits, quarter after quarter...and our gas prices are increasing by the day...Currently where I live in Michigan, gas prices are $3.89 per gallon for regular unleaded..what a freakin joke

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by coyotepoet
Did you watch "Who Killed The Electric Car" too?

Because of the documentary "Who Killed The Electric Car",
I will never own another GM vehicle.

Originally posted by mr10k
If maybe the idiots at the top kept refining the first electric cars and improving the freaking battery, instead of taking the path of Oil, we would be somewhere right now

If you haven't watched the documentary, I strongly suggest it. GM could have been 20 years ahead of it's competitors in the electric vehicle biz.
edit on 8-4-2011 by FosterVS because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-4-2011 by FosterVS because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by General.Lee
Well, the Japanese already had a water-fueled car with working prototypes. Big government will get their hands on this. The goal is to make sure big oil doesn't get the shaft. There is too much money in big oil to let this happen. Remember, the government does exactly what they want to do. If they really wanted new, efficient technology on the road, then we would have new, efficient technology on the road.

I keep trying to spread the word about a racecar Middle TN State U built that runs on hydrogen by either compressed gas or splitting water into H2 and O2 on demand using the NASA air supply source. Dr. Cliff Ricketts. MAYBE one day enough people will know about water as the power source. BUT I suspect it is like an earlier post. We have to get rid of the enemy behind the curtain before we can advance these idea's to production for consumers worldwide. If we wait the Russians or Chinese are going to build tanks with these power sources and wipe out everyone else. Like you stated the Japanese figured this out already why can't they?

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

This thing wouldnt have enough power to move my bicycle. This is a terrible idea for cars. I'm gunna stick with my modded 240sx and modded mustang GT. Forget that little thing! Ill pay for gasoline before I get a car with that thing in it

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
IF they were afraid of running out of oil then why wouldn't they make the switch?

Electric cars are the way to go though.Even if they need a little bit of gas to get it running then while your driving you're also charging up the car.

But they won't do that.They can't do that.It would mess up the economy!Think about it.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join