It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's at risk if there is a government shutdown?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
well you people heard that the government might have to shut down since they are running out of money. it will shut down alot of places that the government owns.
www.usatoday.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
no goverment eaqules anarchy

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by alex1

There's no risk to our politicians in congress because they'll still be getting their paychecks...bast#rds! Maybe if they were going to lose their paychecks, they would do the business the people elected them to do and pass a budget. This could cost the government money by causing the government to break private contracts that have time stipulations for completed work. Other federal workers who don't even make half of the $179,000 dollar salaries our slime ball politicians make, will lose their paychecks. Anything ran by the federal government will come to a stand still. I guess social security checks will still be mailed out. (How does that work when you need federal workers to run the machines that print the checks?).

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I really think it will be like business as usual just minus the physical bodies being present.
1. Nothing ever gets accomplished when the are there
2. They will all be able to collect unemployment, so they still get paid while providing no actual results
3. I stated before quick someone change the locks while their gone

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
so why are they shutting down again?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

Yeah I had a good laugh at this comment from another article:

The claims process will be a little more complicated. Because the federal government would be shut down, employees would have to send in a copy of their W-2 and/or pay stubs because the state would have no way to verify employee wages. Read more: www.foxbusiness.com...

I can see a whole lot of oops going on there.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

I guess social security checks will still be mailed out

My check is direct deposit but that probably won't make much
difference in whether people will get their checks or not.
Could this really get so serious that Social Security payments
stop?. The elderly and disabled suddenly with no income - not
good!
edit on 7-4-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Na should not in any way effect s.s checks. Just will slow down the handling of new applicants. In any instance this will be short lived.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I wonder, if the US stops paying it's military, and folks that are currently in the military decide to go AWOL, would they still be court martialed?

Seems to me if my "employer" stopped paying me, or cut my salary, if I didnt show up to work there should be no repercussions...just a thought

edit on 7-4-2011 by Elostone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
What's at risk if there is a government shutdown?

The smug ass idea by political elites that we need them. That's what's at risk here.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
IMO, I believe that if the guv shuts down, all non critical services should be shut down also.
Military still should be paid,

our veterans with disabilities should still be paid;

Our seniors on SS should still be paid,

as medicare too should be avail to our seniors
Allow an outside contractor handle the mail...UPS and FED EX do fine.

Allow people to register their vehicles for multiple years at a time...only require folks to renew their drivers licenses every 10 years up to age 65....

there are lots of ways to trim the fat...just sayin'

Let all the social programs go to h3ll.

Also, why not allow the states handle their own??

I hate BIG guvment

Again, JMHO
edit on 7-4-2011 by Elostone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
i don't know if anyone has thought about the potential nwo-esque ramifications. the way i see it, yes, this has happened before and no, it wasn't a big deal. but, we were not in the situation we are currently in. people were not as pissed and on edge as they are now, we were not as "openly" in debt as we are now, we were also not in the middle of, what? 3 wars? oh, i'm sorry, 2 wars, 2 police actions and one kinetic military.... whatchmacallit. IF the shutdown lasts longer than a couple of weeks, i see it possibly turning very ugly... add the fact that gas prices are rising, food prices are rising, multiple catastrophes on "tap", so to speak, (earthquake, tsunami, reactor meltdowns) the possible food shortage, (whether it's real or not, i'm not arguing. u.n. issued the press release on it, not me), multiple protests across the nation. seems an awful fine time for the u.s. government to decide to go private on military and police... and keep in mind, PMC's don't swear an oath to uphold ANYTHING but their bank accounts. i'm just putting out the POSSIBILITY i'm not saying this IS what will happen. hopefully nothing will come of it. hopefully, it'll just be a couple of late paychecks...

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
They should have had this budget worked out a long time ago. My gut tells me, this threat of a government shutdown is nothing more than the usual political posturing between the Democrats and Republicans. As one person noted, it is no big deal to the politicians, because their checks will be on time. Furthermore, I see a lot of fear mongering being applied to the shutdown, because only non-essential services will be cut. Like national parks and such.

So, they can play games with each other at the American people's expense? As they bicker about cuts and budgets, each side's proposals is like a drop in the bucket in regards to the massive trillion dollar debt they have to stare down in the future. Then we have President Obama standing in the background pitting the sides against each other, and putting on the appearance as a benevolent mediator. If I recall, isn't President Obama's next campaign going to focus on him being a centrist? This budget impasse should ode well for his political aspirations in 2012. Heading up to the election, he will do everything within his power to keep his nose clean, and remain out of the fray.

This is also a carefully crafted ploy the Democrats, because if some are adversely affected they can blame the opposition. When the government shutdown in 1995 over another budget impasse, House Speaker, Newt Gingrich, was run out of Washington along with other Republicans, and former President, Bill Clinton, made political gains from it.

Clinton: Shutdown would hurt GOP but might not be 'traumatic' for economy

The federal government experienced two shutdowns in late 1995. The first lasted five days, while the second lasted 22 days and carried into early 1996. In both cases, Clinton clashed with Republicans in Congress, principally then-House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.).

Later in 1996, Clinton cruised to a second term after the shutdown appeared to boost his political strength while dimming Gingrich's star.

Once again, we are experiencing political theatrics and beltway parlor games by our benevolent politicians. They can clock each other over the head and spit on each other, but the grim trillion dollar deficit remains. Someone has got to stop the bleeding, because the Federal deficit has become a monster. Stop the nonsense, and cap the debt ceiling! The madness has got to stop, and these politicians need to start making the tough decision regardless of their future election prospects.

To cut a long story short, maybe the legislature needs to shutdown and the President can go on another vacation *ahem* official state visit, because they are not getting anything done arguing with each other. The crust of the matter is, cut Federal spending, and make a serious attempt to do so! No halfway approach, but an all or nothing assault on debt.
edit on 7-4-2011 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by notsofast
i don't know if anyone has thought about the potential nwo-esque ramifications. the way i see it, yes, this has happened before and no, it wasn't a big deal. but, we were not in the situation we are currently in. people were not as pissed and on edge as they are now, we were not as "openly" in debt as we are now, we were also not in the middle of, what? 3 wars? oh, i'm sorry, 2 wars, 2 police actions and one kinetic military.... whatchmacallit. IF the shutdown lasts longer than a couple of weeks, i see it possibly turning very ugly... add the fact that gas prices are rising, food prices are rising, multiple catastrophes on "tap", so to speak, (earthquake, tsunami, reactor meltdowns) the possible food shortage, (whether it's real or not, i'm not arguing. u.n. issued the press release on it, not me), multiple protests across the nation. seems an awful fine time for the u.s. government to decide to go private on military and police... and keep in mind, PMC's don't swear an oath to uphold ANYTHING but their bank accounts. i'm just putting out the POSSIBILITY i'm not saying this IS what will happen. hopefully nothing will come of it. hopefully, it'll just be a couple of late paychecks...

I have said the same thing on several other post's on this subject .I would only give it 2-3 days before people turn on each other.Republican supporter vs Democrat supporters .Great way to devide and conquer a Nation and bring it to it's knees .The blame game ,The END GAME !
The shut down IS going to happen !

join