It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge abuses power: Sentences honest woman to indefinate jury duty.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Just when you think that the justice system can't get any more out of control, they go and do something even more draconian to show us all that they can screw us in every way imaginable.

A Federal Court Judge, apparently upset about an oriental woman's intolerant, yet honest answers to a jury questionnaire, has sentenced the woman to keep coming back for more jury duty.

It seems its not only the criminals who need to be afraid in this court.

Judge Sentences Politically Incorrect Juror to More Jury Duty

An Asian woman in her twenties, referred to simply as Juror Number 799, was called up for jury duty in a criminal case involving the Bonanno Crime Family. As part of the screening process, she was presented with a lengthy questionnaire. More than one thousand New Yorkers had been presented with these questionnaires, although many were disqualified because of their difficulty with English, their fear of Mafia retribution, or their views on the death penalty (which is being sought in this case.) Jurors are, presumably, expected to tell the truth on the questionnaire. If not, then the whole lengthy process makes little sense. Jurors, as free citizens of a constitutional republic, are also allowed to have whatever sentiments they wish.

Maybe not. Juror 799 was asked on the questionnaire to name three people she least admired, and her answer was “African-Americans, Hispanics and Haitians.” The judge asked her what she meant by that and Juror 799 said, “You always hear about them in the news doing something.” She went on to say that she thought that the New York Police were lazy. Judge Garafis was outraged by her answers and asked her, "Why didn't you put 'Asians' down also?" She answered: "Maybe I should have." Each of us is free to form our own opinion and to provide answers to question which are what we believe. Judge Garafis, however, felt that her answers were impermissible. Rather than simply dismiss her from jury duty, as the Assistant United States Attorney requested, the judge said: “She's coming back Thursday and Friday — and until the future, when I am ready to dismiss her."

This federal judge, in effect, sentenced her to a term of involuntary servitude of indefinite duration for the offense of telling the truth. He was punishing Juror 799 for not committing perjury and suborning the judicial system. What this federal judge wants, apparently, are automatons who mouth what he deems society demands, and woe to anyone who holds opinions about society in conflict with his personal opinions.

The New American

I don't know what type of lesson he expects her to learn from her ordeal. Does he think taking her away from her job and family indefinitely is going to make her more tolerant?

Now, in addition to thinking that African-Americans, Hispanics and Haitians are always doing something and that cops are lazy, she is going to get the invaluable lesson that judges are corrupt bullies.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
so if i was her i would just make whatever the case or cases she is put on for jury duty,that i would be the juror to disagree with anything and everything that the other jurors decide....i wouldnt care if the person was guilty or not i would make it hell for that judge...i would fart,pick my nose and eat it,spit in a cup constantly,need to use the bathroom every ten mins,cough constantly and do whatever else i could do during court til the judge learned his lesson...this is another example of people that obtain a little power letting it go to their big heads and abusing what they were given...this a joke...

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

I don't know what type of lesson he expects her to learn from her ordeal. Does he think taking her away from her job and family indefinitely is going to make her more tolerant?

It has long been a standing joke that 12 people too stupid to get out of jury duty are not peers. The insidious assertion that the only people who serve as members of a jury are stupid is now underscored by a judges decision to declare more jury duty as a punishment. The real damage done here is to the jury system itself, long under attack by government as being an outdated form of justice.

Too stupid to get out of jury duty? For years I have heard people whine about how stupid the legislative acts are becoming. As a member of a jury each person has the complete authority to nullify that legislation. We the People do not need to wait for a Supreme Court to strike down bad legislation, we can do it ourselves, collectively as members of the jury. Too bad most of us are just too smart to do so.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

This is outrageous and is one more example in a very, very long line of why this system no longer works and NEEDS to be tore down from top to bottom, no judge, federal or otherwise can indenture a United States citizen, oh wait....... I forgot about child support and alimony haha.

Seriously though, it is time something happened about this abuse of power already, im frankly shocked she wasn't tazed by the court officer.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux

It has long been a standing joke that 12 people too stupid to get out of jury duty are not peers. The insidious assertion that the only people who serve as members of a jury are stupid is now underscored by a judges decision to declare more jury duty as a punishment. The real damage done here is to the jury system itself, long under attack by government as being an outdated form of justice.

Too stupid to get out of jury duty? For years I have heard people whine about how stupid the legislative acts are becoming. As a member of a jury each person has the complete authority to nullify that legislation. We the People do not need to wait for a Supreme Court to strike down bad legislation, we can do it ourselves, collectively as members of the jury. Too bad most of us are just too smart to do so.

I can never stop reading your posts, you speak the truth and speak it well, I so badly wish most Americans were as informed, articulate and wise as you so often seem to be here on ATS.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Maybe not. Juror 799 was asked on the questionnaire to name three people she least admired, and her answer was “African-Americans, Hispanics and Haitians.”

pretty sure if i had said that that would have disqualified me and everyone would be screaming you racist bigot.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Our judicial system is no different than the countless other corrupt systems that we as citizens are told to obey.
Just another fractured facade, to control us.

Anyone whose been in a courtroom can verify this.

Justice truly is blind
edit on 7-4-2011 by gatewaywithin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by gdaub23
so if i was her i would just make whatever the case or cases she is put on for jury duty,that i would be the juror to disagree with anything and everything that the other jurors decide....i wouldnt care if the person was guilty or not i would make it hell for that judge...i would fart,pick my nose and eat it,spit in a cup constantly,need to use the bathroom every ten mins,cough constantly and do whatever else i could do during court til the judge learned his lesson...this is another example of people that obtain a little power letting it go to their big heads and abusing what they were given...this a joke...

I should have been more clear; she wasn't seated on a jury for an actual trial, she was sentenced to keep coming back to be on the jury POOL which is the group of potential jurors for any upcoming cases.

With her honest answers, she'll probably never be seated on an actual jury but, she'll be forced to keep coming back as long as this judge deems fit.

Considering that jury pay is usually much less than an average person can earn at work, this woman is screwed big time.

It looks to me that the judge wishes he could jail people for racism. Say goodbye to the 1st Amendment.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Considering that jury pay is usually much less than an average person can earn at work, this woman is screwed big time.

I, frankly, think it is time that judges and prosecutors start getting paid the same amount that any given jury member is given. It is, after all, a judge and prosecutors civic duty to serve the halls of justice.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I wonder if the woman was purposefully being as atrocious as possible so she would be dismissed but the judge saw through it and had his revenge. lol It's a pretty old trick to be obnoxious and stupid during jury selection so you get sent home. Maybe she over did it and it was way too obvious. So he caught on.

Still, it is pretty scary how that can happen.

Note to self: Be more subtle when trying to get out of jury duty.

reply to post by gdaub23

Then she would probably be arrested for contempt.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

A lot of oriental people are pretty open about their racist attitudes, especially the women. When she said maybe she should add Asians to her list, she was probably referring to Asians from other countries than the one she came from.

Koreans hate the Chinese, the Chinese hate the Japanese, etc...

One of the worst insults you can give to an oriental person it to identify them as a nationality to which they don't belong (like calling a Korean Japanese). If you ever do that, I hope you can run pretty quick.

I think she was just being honest about her opinions and the judge got offended because she didn't know how to be politically correct.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
You can't force someone to answer questions, then punish them for answering them. If I was this woman I would continue to answer the same way every time, continue to report everyday, then sue for lost wages. Free Speech is a Civil Rights issue, not to mention a 1st Amendment issue. She wins this easily.

Isn't this the same judge that ruled police tests were too hard for minorities. Well couldn't the same thing be said about this juror questionnaire?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I'd sue this judge. I would absolutely find a way to sue a judge. I hate jury duty, needed yes, but their are enough people there who will do the jury service that the judge does not need to get his balls in a twist over one girl.

either that or he wanted asian eye candy to leer at in the jury longer.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

I disagree that all orientals get offended if you guess their nationality incorrectly. Some, like my wife, don't care. She's Japanese and if someone has to ask her nationality, they are guaranteed to pick the wrong one. I've known many other Asians who also do not care if you guess wrong. Actually, they probably care more that you need to know their nationality.

It is a big leap to say female Asians are especially racist. I had a Chinese girlfriend once say "you've got black people" in a degrading tone, as she first saw the apartment complex I lived in then. She is certainly a racist, but that does not mean that all Chinese women are. I've known of many Chinese women to date and marry someone of almost any race. So, some Asian women are racist and some are not. Some white women are also racist and others are not.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

I didn't say all orientals were racist, I was just saying that they seem (at least in my experience anyway) to be more open and honest about their feelings towards other races than most other people.

I don't think its about them hating other people because of their race, I think it has to do with them giving their honest assessment about how they perceive other races. For some reason, I have found that many Asian people lack the filter that tells them to keep quiet about their opinions about other races. While most whites fear saying anything that could even be perceived to be racist for fear of being condemned, the Asians, being a minority group themselves, do not have this fear and speak their minds openly.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
The Brooklyn woman was clearly trying to avoid jury duty by answering the questionaire with racist responses.
She's either entirely too busy for jury duty, or she's simply afraid of being on a jury that has to decode the fate of one of the Bonano family members.

Either way, she should not have to indefinitely serve because the judge feels so. It is clearly an abuse of the system.
This woman has as much right as anyone else to live her life and do her job. Having her mandated to 1 other trial would suffice.

Probably the funniest artivle I have read in the Daily News in quite some time.
- Name 3 people you dislike...........
- Blacks, Hispanics and Hatians.

That's too much

new topics

top topics

join