It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holy FAT WASTE of government dough Batman!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
As if it isn't bad enough that the Fed puts out comic books lying to our kids about how economics and banking works, now the Government Printing Office has found a new way to waste money through comic books.

They are putting out a comic book about the history of print which costs them $5.90 to make and they're selling it to the public for the bargain price of $5.00!!

That's right, they're loosing almost a buck on each comic sold.

Federally Funded Comic Books? You Betcha. Meet Squeaks!

Yes, of course, the history of printing is something that should be taught in our schools, but did the Federal government need to reinvent the wheel here? This space-exploring mouse is the star of a comic book printed by the GPO at a cost of $5.90 PER COMIC BOOK! If that doesn’t make your head spin, wait until you hear that the GPO sells the book for just $5.00, a loss of nearly one dollar for each comic book!

Are there no comic book companies left in the country that could have taken this project and execute it at a lower cost? Hello? Marvel and DC Comics would likely trip over themselves to get a hold of a large government printing contract.

This makes no economic sense. If the government needs cars, do they build them from scratch? No, we BUY them from people who make cars… they may require a few special options, but that is what manufacturers do for large clients. They customize a product while still saving money for the customer.

The Blaze

You can buy the comic book here but, be warned; for every comic you buy, you are driving the Federal Government 90 cents closer towards bankruptcy.

You don't want that on your conscience, do you? :shk:
edit on 4/7/11 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Now why would they do that? Why not 6 dollars instead of five?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
comic books are not that expensive to print that has to be a misquote... marvel and DC don't charge that much retail and they make a decent profit...

unless we are talking $1000.00 toilet seats, why are American companies constantly fu&#@ing over the govt. whenever they can. lead by example i always say and that means that whoever is printing that comic should be boycotted.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
If you think the cost of education is expensive what until you find out how much ignorance costs.

Non story. Yawn
edit on 7-4-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
If it is not a misquote then it is still an ok thing....... I say ok because I am ready for the complete collapse of the banking system so we can start over right this time. I am cozy and this type of America is all I know right now but I am ready to take back my government from the tptb.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by CaDreamer

The comics are made by the government and you know they find it impossible to spend a reasonable amount of money on anything so you shouldn't be surprised by the number.

ABOUT GPO (Government Printing Office)
The core mission of Keeping America Informed, dated to 1813 when Congress determined to make information regarding the work of the three branches of Government available to all Americans. The U.S Government Printing Office (GPO) provides publishing and dissemination services for the official and authentic government publications to Congress, Federal agencies, Federal depository libraries, and the American public.

Q. How is the GPO funded?
A. GPO operates on a revolving fund basis, just like a business, and is reimbursed by its customers for the cost of work performed. Total revenues for FY 2010 were $928.3 million, which included $462.6 million in pass-through payments to procurement vendors. Approximately 16% of GPO's funding comes from direct appropriation, comprising about 4% of the overall legislative branch budget. Appropriated funds are to cover the cost of congressional work (and may only be accessed when work is performed as ordered by Congress) and the depository library program and supporting distribution programs. Total appropriations for FY 2011 currently are at the continuing FY 2010 rate of $147.5 million. All other revenues to GPO are reimbursements from agencies for work performed or sales of publications to the public.

GPO Website

It appears that they bill the agencies of the government for the work performed if I am reading that properly.

$5 for a government produced comic is a ripoff IMO.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Had to chuckle at the statement calling anything the government puts out "education". Don't you mean indoctrination? This is why our kidz iz stoopid.
edit on 7-4-2011 by DogsDogsDogs because: typo

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

As if it isn't bad enough that the Fed puts out comic books lying to our kids about how economics and banking works, now the Government Printing Office has found a new way to waste money through comic books.

They are putting out a comic book about the history of print which costs them $5.90 to make and they're selling it to the public for the bargain price of $5.00!!

That's right, they're loosing almost a buck on each comic sold.

Federally Funded Comic Books? You Betcha. Meet Squeaks!

Yes, of course, the history of printing is something that should be taught in our schools, but did the Federal government need to reinvent the wheel here? This space-exploring mouse is the star of a comic book printed by the GPO at a cost of $5.90 PER COMIC BOOK! If that doesn’t make your head spin, wait until you hear that the GPO sells the book for just $5.00, a loss of nearly one dollar for each comic book!

Are there no comic book companies left in the country that could have taken this project and execute it at a lower cost? Hello? Marvel and DC Comics would likely trip over themselves to get a hold of a large government printing contract.

This makes no economic sense. If the government needs cars, do they build them from scratch? No, we BUY them from people who make cars… they may require a few special options, but that is what manufacturers do for large clients. They customize a product while still saving money for the customer.

The Blaze

You can buy the comic book here but, be warned; for every comic you buy, you are driving the Federal Government 90 cents closer towards bankruptcy.

You don't want that on your conscience, do you? :shk:
edit on 4/7/11 by FortAnthem because:

Thats were all that Wolverine comes from. 289 issues of wolverine a year.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
If you think the cost of education is expensive what until you find out how much ignorance costs.

Non story. Yawn
edit on 7-4-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

Sure, loosing just 90 cents each on a comic may sound like small potatoes and a big yawner of a story until you look at in the context of everything else going on in the world today.

I think it is very telling of the government mindset how they blithly go about paying more to produce the comics than what they are selling them for. It shows that the government has no sense about the value of money anymore.

When you are handeling amounts measured in billions or even trillions of dollars, they idea of watching the little things and keeping within your budget goes out the window. Here, it shows that the government thinks it is proper to spend more to produce something than what that thing is actually worth. They have no sense of the idea of producing value, only how to consume the tax money they have in irresponsible ways and then borrowing when the tax money runs out to keep on spending.

The average person would be bankrupt and out on the streets if they tried to live by government economic principals. Why do the people in Washington continue to get away with it?

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I can see your point and respect it. I won't argue.

I was just expessing my .02¢.

new topics

top topics

join