It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Times Special Edition: "All the News We Hope to Print" (full newspaper incl. in thread)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
After reading a lot of debates about Obama's failure to stop the many US wars and human rights abuses abroad, and social injustice and corruption at home, here's a peek at what the news would look like if the government and corporations worked for the people and immediately took a more progressive and responsible attitude.

This little gem was released in November 2008, circulated for free in LA and New York just after Obama won presidency (sorry for the wicked glare, I'm no photographer
):

The physical paper is available on eBay for $40... So it's pretty rare. I'm lucky enough to have a copy, but for those of you who missed out, I've uploaded the full PDF version (9.7 MB) for your enjoyment here:

What the News Should Be

When I was handed one, I was blown away - until I found out it was an elaborate prank pulled off by the infamous Yes Men and the Anti-Advertising Agency. Sadly, many of these articles are still totally relevant to current affairs.

Articles in the paper announce dozens of new initiatives, including an establishment of national health care, a maximum wage for CEOs and an article wherein George W. Bush accuses himself of treason for his actions during his years as president. The stories and advertisements are hilarious, informative, motivating, and a little infuriating.

Here are just a few of the stories in the paper that would be nice to see in real life:

"Iraq War Ends"

"Nationalized Oil to Fund Climate Change Efforts"

"Nation Sets Its Sights on Building Sane Economy"

"UN Unanimously Passes Weapons Ban"

"Court Indicts Bush on High Treason Charge"

"Pharmaceutical Law Revised to End Corruption"

"US Patriot Act Repealed"

"Senate Gets Tough On "Limited Liability" to Rein in, Humanize Corporations"

The paper also includes tips for citizens to get involved to make these headlines a reality - if you want change, you can't wait around for it. You need to (and can) take action! This paper provides you with the basic information to give you a cause, and the means of bringing about change that you really can believe in!

Even if this seems like a utopian vision, utopian goals are necessary for progressive action and to motivate our yearning for understanding. In the words of Richard Browning, "A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"

I'm sure more conservative ATSers disagree with many of the 'events' in the paper, but try to imagine the world we would live in if these headlines were true!

Give it a read and let me know what you think!

Are any of these plausible? Impossible? Do you have any recommendations to bring about these changes? The power lies with you, the citizen, to ensure these changes are brought about.

edit on 7-4-2011 by pforkp because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by pforkp
Are any of these plausible? Impossible? Do you have any recommendations to bring about these changes? The power lies with you, the citizen, to ensure these changes are brought about.

The decision was taken away long ago along with power of the people (if ever we had any power).

The rich are getting richer, the wars are making the rich richer, the banks are making the rich richer whilst we have to pay for making the rich richer.

The only way we can change things would be to tear down the walls of government and start afresh. Anyone up for this?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

I've learned that you can't focus on making the huge changes in one swoop - it's not realistically doable by any one citizen to crash the global system. I agree that there are ultra-powerful people and corporations out there that pull the strings...

However, if you pick a cause and fight to change it for the better, small changes begin to snowball. It might not be instant, it might not be big, but it's a gradual progression towards a better world.

The kicker is that if you're resigned to say "TPTB are unchangeable, we have no power", then apathy takes hold - it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Positivity, my friend, is the first step to changing things

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by pforkp

There is a quick and non violent way of changing the world.

For every working class and middle class person to withdraw all funds from their bank accounts over a period of three days. See the panic ensue and the whole crappy capitalist system fail. Money isn't worth anything anyway.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

If you're willing to coordinate that, I'm in
Bank runs have been attempted before... Lots of people tend to chicken out, or it's not widely enough known about for it to work. I think it's because those who are already in poverty (and the middle-class as well) are most likely to feel the hit after a successful bank run - it's almost like self-immolation. Takes more courage than a lot of people have to do something like that.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I've learned that you can't focus on making the huge changes in one swoop - it's not realistically doable by any one citizen to crash the global system. I agree that there are ultra-powerful people and corporations out there that pull the strings...

However, if you pick a cause and fight to change it for the better, small changes begin to snowball. It might not be instant, it might not be big, but it's a gradual progression towards a better world.

The kicker is that if you're resigned to say "TPTB are unchangeable, we have no power", then apathy takes hold - it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Positivity, my friend, is the first step to changing things

Ohh yes, lets not achieve anything and continue to do things as have been done for..well, since i can remember anyway....i call BS to your remark

People have been trying to get things done one step at a time forever and nothing has changed, in fact throughout history the only time things change is when people make that HUGE step forward, It is definitely time for that step to be taken again

I'm sure more conservative ATSers disagree with many of the 'events' in the paper, but try to imagine the world we would live in if these headlines were true!

Give it a read and let me know what you think!

Sorry for gettin fiesty in your thread, dont really want to detract from the main point you make here.
i havent read all the articles yet but i will.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by pforkp

The thing is everyone has become reliant on the banks, simply because we hve been forced to rely upon them. We should demand cash payment for services tendered, including work. Pay for everything by cash, no more cards, this makes the banks bundles of money every minute.

We then need to come to some other arrangement to pay for monthly bills. Pay in cash via the Post Office or whatever the U.S equivalent is.

Turn to Credit Unions if you need to bank, at least they do not have to pander to share holders. They also do not pay vasts amounts in bonuses.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by RadicalRebel

I'm all in for a huge step too - I just meant to point out that smaller steps do in fact lead to a bigger positive change. For example, the economic oppression caused by the capitalist system is made up of many smaller, focused policies (which might differ according to local laws and governance). If you fight against the smaller bits on a local level (protest economic reforms, team up with lobby groups, start information campaigns to inform and motivate the public, etc etc), to change it into something more progressive, the bigger problem takes a hit.

In the paper there are dozens of groups listed that you can join that are fighting for economic, social, environmental, and political change. Sure, we can wait for the tipping point where mass demonstrations (and in the US, probably riots) come about - but why wait for disaster? Is it the "Age of Instantaneousness" that makes us want big change NOW, but makes us cynical about working for smaller changes in the long-term?

I'm just saying, there are things we can do - maybe we can do them while waiting around for the "big one"?
Because not doing anything in the meantime only makes things worse - we'd be a victim to our own apathy and cynicism.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Very nice read, the first thing i read was the "Treasury Announces “True Cost ” Tax PLAN" article because i have ideas like that thrown around before, not a bad idea at all but not very likely to happen. I dont see our representatives buying into that one even IF the people they represented did.

On another note, as i was scrolling down to page A10 to read the rest of that article my eye caught a very good McAd on the bottom of page A9

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Is it the "Age of Instantaneousness" that makes us want big change NOW, but makes us cynical about working for smaller changes in the long-term?

I'm just saying, there are things we can do - maybe we can do them while waiting around for the "big one"?
Because not doing anything in the meantime only makes things worse - we'd be a victim to our own apathy and cynicism.

YES instant gratification is "huge problem" in our society. no one wants to wait for anything, coffee, fast food, money, even express wedding chapels...its really sad. But i dont think that is what is causing this seeming sense of urgency to make big changes. The cynisism i see comes from people who fight the little battles and lose consistently because of the people who we have placed our trust in to make those very changes.

There comes a time when people just get fed up with it and realize that they have to do it themselves. I think that is another part of the problem because it seems like big gov./TPTB/corporations... who ever, dont want us to do it ourselves. Its not gonna be "We the people" who start anything like an armed uprising. The S is gonna HTF when we decide to take the power back the right way, the constitutional way that was set up for just that purpose and the tptb are gonna be ones who feel they have to resort to force.

Its the same old cycle that has played itself out throughout history.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
LOL Thanks again for this it has been giving me quite the laugh if only for the ads...Monasanto advertising they are selling and distibuting ladybugs instead of fertilizer and the one next to that one about an "all car recall"

Also interesting that most of these articles are based on facts, actually kinda scary if you think about it.

Its almost like this came from a different dimension and we live in bizzaro world....
edit on 7-4-2011 by RadicalRebel because: (no reason given)

join