It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe: The worlds next superpower

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I beleive the EU is going to be the next superpower.

The European Union (EU) has been called an emerging superpower by academics. Many scholars and academics like T.R. Reid, Andrew Reding, Andrew Moravcsik,Mark Leonard, Jeremy Rifkin, John McCormick, and some politicians like Romano Prodi and Tony Blair either believe that the EU is, or will become, a superpower in the 21st century

"John McCormick believes that the EU has already achieved superpower status, based on the size and global reach of its economy and on its global political influence."

"Parag Khanna believes that the EU, together with China, has already achieved superpower status and rivals the US for influence around the world. He also mentions the large economy of the EU, that European technologies more and more set the global standards and that European countries give the most development assistance. He agrees with McCormick that the EU does not need a common army to be a superpower. "

European Influence in terms of military

America may still be the land of plenty, but as a result of the global financial crisis Europe usurped its place as the world’s wealthiest region earlier this year, according to a survey of assets. Not only that, but in defiance of predictions of its downfall Europe’s population is expected to reach half a billion next year and its GDP is just behind that of the United States and China combined.
www.timesonline.co.uk...

A Superstate with its own anthemn?

The European Space Agency

www.esa.int...

"Mars Express is the first fully European mission to any planet.
It is an exciting challenge for European technology."

Rudi Schmidt, Mars Express Project Manager, ESTEC

Mars Express will play a key role in an international exploration programme spanning the next two decades.

--

Putin: Russia will join the euro one day
Vladimir Putin said it is "quite possible" that Russia will one day join the eurozone and create a currency that would eclipse the US dollar as the global reserve standard.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

There we have it,

In my honest opinion, Europe will be the a United States of Europe in the next 50 years tops.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Hell yeah! I'm looking forward to Afghanistan and Iraq! The next world police will be us.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
But isn't Europe a bit economically unstable? I mean I see Economic Riots In Spain,United Kingdom, France and many other European nations

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I'm not sure if the EU will become such a super power as it is still a union of many different countries with different agendas each. Russia, China, will be the next super powers, especially China which manufactures almost everything America sells.

Just my opinion.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

Not really,

"BERLIN — Germany will steam ahead in 2011, leaving most of its rivals trailing in its wake, the country's leading economic institutes predicted on Thursday, publishing bullish forecasts for Europe's top economy.

The economy is expected to grow by 2.8 percent this year, with the pace dropping slightly next year to 2.0 percent according to the five top institutes in their closely watched twice-yearly report."

Were going to go through some hardship, but a united europe will be glorious.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngelHeart
I'm not sure if the EU will become such a super power as it is still a union of many different countries with different agendas each. Russia, China, will be the next super powers, especially China which manufactures almost everything America sells.

Just my opinion.

What happens when Russia joins the EU? Putin said he is very serious about joining

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I would be wary about Russia until Putin is out of power.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
i think china or russia may be next, only because ive heard it before

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I have to agree with you. I like that they dont give foreiners the top government jobs.

I like that they arent scared to tell foreighners no ,you do not get our top jobs and your not welcome to overthrow our beliefs because it hurts your delicate feelings we dont believe in allah.

I also like the fact that united states soldiers get invited to serve in europe.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Excellent topic of discussion, I haven't even pondered this question.

Originally posted by eueseh
I like that they arent scared to tell foreighners no ,you do not get our top jobs and your not welcome to overthrow our beliefs because it hurts your delicate feelings we dont believe in allah.

HUH!? What world are you living in.. Europe is swarming with muslims and dotted with separate muslim communities/ghettos.. some openly 'warring' with the police.

They get better benefits and twist society to their will, nagging, nagging, nagging until ruling after ruling is overcome, separate bath times, extra welfare benefits, the list is probably endless.

Europe is in just as bad shape as the U.S. concerning immigrant policies. The only differense is US immigrants are christian mexicans, while muslims come from societies and communities literally still in the middle ages.
Problems will ensue, even if you don't even factor in racism.

Personally I consider most muslims as subscribing to a murderous and subversive cult bent on domination which specializes in 'offer mentality', psychologically it's probably not much different from joining a gang for protection. The difference being that the gang, well.. it's a gang. While Islam is a religion that encompasses entire communities and societies, consisting of whole families. The overall goals of the religion however, may not be so rosy, even if the people that makes up the religion aren't demons hell bent on our destruction. The people pushing this immigration may not have such altruistic plans either.

edit on 7-4-2011 by TheLaughingGod because: sjou

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

I dont think europe will be the next superpower, they want to but no, China in my opinion will take the superpower title. They have loaned endless monies to amreica, ( insuring we go broke through owing) they are here buying our lands that the current government so graciously sells to whatever foreigner who has the money, they are also buying our banks. China has a higher educational program. They have control over their people, and they are demons ready to pounce on the rest of the world....The only reason china would not take the title is because they let to many females out of their society. The had this odd illusion men can keep the world ticking without the woman. Ya they found out woman are a valuable commodity, (laughing of course im making fun of their decisions) Next time you see chinas prime minister or any government leader on television look into the eyes, you see the anger and ill intents deep in their dark shadowy eyes.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by wlmgsmn

What about this? The EU is a transitional step, the first functional union of nation states as a superpower - eventually other unions will organize, including the American Union complete with the Amero along with the African Union.
The next step would be handling over the reins to China.. and from there it can't be a long way to World Government, china would sort of serve as an "anchor" with it's "weight".. sounds pretty plausible to me.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ashtonkusher
i think china or russia may be next, only because ive heard it before

Don't over-egg Russia. They may have been a military superstar / superpower in Soviet times, but they don't have anything resembling that today, nor have they an economy of any significance. In fact the Russian economy (in GDP) trails Germany, France, Italy, Brazil and Canada (etc) and is rather heavily influenced by oil and gas.

To the OP. The European Union has a GDP in excess of the US and is therefore the biggest economy. The EU is an economic superpower. The pundits tend to overplay the Chinese economy and ignore the fact that the EU is rather big too. If you added up the various armed forces of the EU nations you would also reveal a military superpower of significance both numerically and technically.

Therefore, the EU is a superpower. However, the EU is only a collection of sovereign states and will probably remain so, although I expect there will be convergence in foreign affairs and politics as the collective voice of the EU is greater than the sum of its parts.

Perhaps the debate is what will happen in the future. I foresee a time when the democracies of the EU, the US, India and elsewhere will be in direct competition with the autocracies such as China, the Middle East and Russia.

Can I also suggest we do not underplay India – the world’s biggest democracy. The Chinese “one child per family” policy has unwittingly meant that the China’s productive workforce will be less than India’s – meaning that India may overhaul China in that race in the fullness of time. I like this prospect as I mistrust one-party tyrannies (e.g. China).

Regards

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Well, Europe could be the super-power for a few years (like 2015-2025) however here in Europe we have a major demographic problem: the aging of our population. When someone reaching their 60s will come up with things like Facebook or Ipad
then I would say Europe will be the superpower.

Another issue we have here is the immigration taking advance of the demographic vacuum, the new migrants are coming from cultures more or less incompatible with the European culture so this is a source of potential conflicts in the future..

On the good side, old or not - we have a population that is generally more educated than US or China, and I talk here about the average level in society. The example to follow is Sweden, Finland, Norway , Denmark , Germany, Netherlands and France when we talk about good education. Sorry if i missed anyone

Never the last, Europe is very hi-tec energy-wise. We have efficient houses (using smaller amount of energy) , efficient cars , good infrastructure. I guess this makes the continent very resilient . If life extension would come to be reality and the population aging will be no longer relevant I guess we have a good chance to be the superpower in the long term haha.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
It has the potential.

But there are significant problems. The Commission is out of conjunction with member states and their respected Parliament. European Union annual meetings are a catastrophic series of arguments and skullduggery, in order to appease the voters.

Europe cannot even agree on collective regulation on banks and financial markets. When an agreement is made - someone ignores it. It stumbles through one foreign crisis to another; the High Representative is the most inept, execrable and grotesquely inadequate foreign office in the Western World. Europe manages to be completely nonchalant to events on her borders.

France and Germany ignore budget rules, Britain ignores European Court rulings and Italian politicians have made a mockery of anti-corruption procedures. The Parliament, itself, is arguably the most corrupt legislative chamber in the entire world - it makes African Parliaments and Congress as Utopia's of social justice and respectability

Fundamentally, the European population are very much set against a United States of Europe.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

History says the Europe was once a superpower - or had the world's equivalent to superpowers - in the past.

All that was finished by 1945.

Hint: You cannot be pacifists and appeasers and EVER attain superpower status.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

Exactly!!! Most likely, Europe will stop using Euros in a couple of years... Too many countries are in debt, destabilizing all the remaining healthy economies. So my guess is... never gonna happen.
I do not mean to be rude, and I am not entirely dismissing it either (I have to do my homework first, then decide) but since I am a European citizen, I know how things are going in this side of the world.
I mean, we don't even speak the same language..! Just because we have the same monetary system and a space agency that doesn't do much, it doesn't mean there's a nation growing here.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
In my humble opinion, Europe like the US is a busted flush. Every dog has it`s day, and these dogs have certainly had theirs.

I have no doubt the US will be the last super power,. In the not to distant future the world will be multi polar, with countries like the BRICS, with increased economic, political and military power.

The western societies are rotten to the core, their systems of politics and economics are in terminal decline.
Demographically it`s already over for them, as the can`t even reproduce themselves.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saracen1
Demographically it`s already over for them, as the can`t even reproduce themselves.

Interesting how wherever women are given the freedom to choose whether or not to to have children, they choose to limit the number they have.

You may choose - out of muslim bias - to call it being "unable to reproduce themselves".

Enlightened Western societies simply call it a matter of choice.

Same thing would no doubt happen in muslim ruled countries if women were no longer treated a property instead of being treated as people.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
As an Englishman i have zero in common with the frenchies and germans, but more with the US, Australia, Canada, New Zealand. I do not class myself as european but English. I would come out of the EU. Haydin I think the space thing gets your juices going. But trust me. I will fight it as hard as every True Englishman has from the begining!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join