It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RNA Duplicating RNA, A Step Closer To The Origin Of Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
It is one of life greatest mysteries. How did life originate on this planet? No one truly knows, although scientists are doing their best to unravel the mysteries around the early days of our planet.

It looks like they have reached a stepping stone in the fight to remove some of the ambiguity facing our beginnings:

According to the “RNA world” model of life's origin, RNA performed all of the operations that are essential to life. RNA alone passed on genetic information and catalyzed the reactions of basic metabolism; DNA and proteins were not in the picture. The RNA world hypothesis is an appealingly simple model for simple early life forms, since it allows the complex array of biochemical interactions among proteins, DNA, and RNA to evolve gradually.

RNA Duplicating RNA, A Step Closer To The Origin Of Life

I'm also leave you with this video, that explains one of the many current hypotheses on how life originated on this planet

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
The biochemical complexity and intricacies of both RNA and DNA make it very difficult for me to believe in anything other than the theory that life on this planet was specifically designed by a HIGHLY intelligent entity or entities.

I've had many debates with my fellow biochemists regarding my belief but have yet to be convinced otherwise.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Great little video Griffo I enjoyed it. I don't want to derail this thread with evolution, but I find it fascinating the time scale of what's involved in life on earth, and it is the concept of time I believe people who have a stance that life can only come from life (or some designer entity), don't quite grasp the amount of elapsed time involved in the process.

4.53 to 4.58 billion years ago we can detect matter of our solar system, we have dated (rocks) at being about 4.5 billion years old, we dated organic compounds on earth to be as old as 3 billion years our senior, and a functioning (living cell) took another billion years, and just one billion years ago we first detect a living organism from those random living cells, then the real explosion of diversified creatures powered on from just one billion years ago when a simple worm was the top of the food chain.

So it took nearly half of the solar system's existence before a living cell formed from organic molecules from inert chemicals and reactions. That's a lot of time I like how is illustrated in this graphic below. It's hard to see everything so I'm linking a 4x enlargement of it.

www.truthbook.com...

Again pardon my derailment of your nice thread, my point is the span of time involved.

new topics

join