It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cincinnati Police Impounding Cars Because They Have Big Rims!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Link to News Article

Seems like a case of profiling. There is a trend of Black Males driving cars like this. The police are using this as an excuse to stop people and generate money. They probably think of people with such cars as drug dealers not knowing that this is a style and some dealers may just like the style. THIS IS WHAT YOU TELL THE GIRLS IN BLUE (COPS) "MY CAR GOT INSPECTED WITH THE RIMS AND THEY DIDNT SAY IT WAS UNSAFE SO YOU DONT HAVE THE RIGHT, YOU'RE NOT AN INSPECTION STATION."

Here is a 2nd video with the Cincinnati Police response

edit on 4/7/2011 by ProphecyPhD because: added the 2nd video

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ProphecyPhD

Trend of "black males" driving cars like this?

Doesnt that mean you're profiling too?

You should come up here and see all the cracker rednecks with cartoonishly massive rims on their pick up trucks.

"It's like you're allowed to steal from me, and taken my stuff and do what you want to do with it," he says. "That's unfair toward me."

Somebody should tell Jones that's just government SOP. It's the only thing theyre good at.
edit on 7-4-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
They're just jealous because they have small stick-shifts.

edit on 7-4-2011 by notsofunnyguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Cops gone Mad......Stupid S O B's.....I also read a story this morning that a man was arrested and jailed for, get this," Barking at a Police Dog" Why do people keep putting up with this $hit..It is not going to stop till we start doing something about it...Stand up people.....Have you been drinking fluoride water and eating GM foods and it is Feminizing you? Fight Back......You are a human being....You Matter.....

I would sue the hell out of that city and county......Money, Money, Money...thats all they are after now....I would set fire to the dam thing before they ever towed mine off...Stupid a$$ bastards.....
edit on 7-4-2011 by Caji316 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Im thinking that becuase they wanted to get the biggest rims they could... they might have put tires that are too big on the car....

Just looking at it... you can tell there is very little room for the tire to move... if say he hit a dip going 60 that tire could very esily make contact with the inside of the wheel well and pop. Im sure having it rub a bit while going through town at 30 isnt gonna rupture the tire for a while... BUT it will happen.

ANd if this rick james wanna be happens to hurt somone i dont think him and his mouthfull of black mushy teeth is gonna have the money to do more than buy them a mcdonalds hamburger.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Isn't the responsibility of the driver to make sure the vehicle is road worthy where you live? I can't really muster much sympathy, but I can see how it looks like a conspiracy. Bad economy, trend for rims (not just among blacks either), easy impound money generated for city. It also bothered me that the officer in the second video refused to clarify if someone has the right to get their stuff out of the vehicle before it is towed for big rims.

link   
Cincinatti has a long history of racial tensions, violence, police brutality and ethnic rioting.
I'm not surprised. They also have a long history of racial profiling.

link   
I live in cincinnati, I am horribly dissapointed in our police.
That is just horrible.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by pirhanna
Cincinatti has a long history of racial tensions, violence, police brutality and ethnic rioting.
I'm not surprised. They also have a long history of racial profiling.

wtf is cincinatti? I live in Cincinnati and wonder if it's close...

We have a history of black violence, black rioting and black tension. If you run down a dark alley then turn around and reach in your pants like you're about to pull something out.....you'll get shot. If you're high on pcp and attack a police officer half your size and you'll probably get shot with a stun gun and die of a heart attack. We are very diverse here in cincy but it's usually only one race that creates problems.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Thats just not right. I know they do it all over the place. I was on a road trip in warrensburg mo, and we were pulled over for speeding, although the officer had no radar gun at all. I was arrest for an unpaid traffic ticket, and he told me that they can not do individual profiling, but they are allowed to do "vehicle profiling". Means if your car has mismatched paint, or dents, or is old, or it pretty much just "stands out" from any other car, they can pretty much pull you over if they want to. The car is was driving in was a green camry with a gold hood. He told us, he was pacing us to determine we were speeding. Its just a bunch of BS and another way for police to do whatever they want to.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
So Just like a big lifted 4x4 you can lose your car to the police for unsafe conditions. Happins all the time thats why there are rules for unsafe cars/trucks. Bumper height and tire size are factors to a safe ride. Ride threw the same town with a lifted big tired truck and the same thing will take place. Here is a link to a 4X4 laws by state.

4X4 regs

Link to below artical.

Trading Speed for Beauty Looking good requires sacrifice, and most wheel shoppers are willing to give up a little ride quality for the look of flashy rollers. A rough ride is annoying, but big rims can also significantly degrade performance and safety. "Anything that adds weight to the wheel and tire assembly affects acceleration and braking, and it hurts handling as well, since shocks aren't valved to control that much weight," says Ben O'Connor, an engineer for brake manufacturer Baer Inc. "It's not uncommon to gain 40 pounds when swapping a 16-inch wheel out for a 20-incher." That extra mass hanging from the end of the suspension is called unsprung weight, which cannot be controlled by the springs of the car. Unsprung weight is difficult for the suspension to control, so engineers try to minimize it. It's the reason why racecars use lightweight magnesium wheels when the rules allow. "If you dramatically increase unsprung weight, it will decrease wheel control," Traverna says. "Putting big heavy wheels and tires on a vehicle that wasn't designed for it can result in significant traction loss while you're traveling at speed. We build a lot of extra strength into our trucks and SUVs, so swapping 16s for 18s won't hurt anything, but bolting on a set of 22s can result in extra wear and tear on the suspension." As you increase rotating mass, it's also harder for the brakes to stop the wheel from spinning. This can decrease brake life and increase braking distance. The same principal applies to acceleration, because a heavier wheel is harder to get rolling and acceleration is decreased. O'Connor claims that adding a set of big wheels can increase 60-0-mph stopping distance by as much as 20 feet. That can mean the difference between stopping short and being killed in an accident. Several aftermarket brake manufacturers offer brake kits that help offset the added weight of big rollers. A typical rotor upgrade like the Eradispeed kit from Baer includes 15-inch brake rotors and a caliper relocation bracket, which lends the vehicle enough braking force to offset the added rotating mass. Rotor upgrade kits typically cost around $1,000, and they can be installed in a matter of minutes with simple hand tools.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I'm sorry but even big auto makers are making cars fenders bigger so people can customize there rims and tires look at Shelby Cobra Mustang with 22s and as long as the rims are D.O.T.ed then in my book it's called racist profiling. Where I live everyone does it, really I don't know of a place in the U.S. where people arn't doing it like this look at all the custom shops across America that put 22s or bigger on there cars/trucks. Thats just like back in the 80s when Al Gore and the pmrc or what ever tried to make heavy metal illegal in America what a joke! I bet all these guys will get a big check when they go to Cort.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
Im thinking that becuase they wanted to get the biggest rims they could... they might have put tires that are too big on the car....

Just looking at it... you can tell there is very little room for the tire to move... if say he hit a dip going 60 that tire could very esily make contact with the inside of the wheel well and pop. Im sure having it rub a bit while going through town at 30 isnt gonna rupture the tire for a while... BUT it will happen.

ANd if this rick james wanna be happens to hurt somone i dont think him and his mouthfull of black mushy teeth is gonna have the money to do more than buy them a mcdonalds hamburger.

If you hit a dip in a car at 60mph with stock rims and wheels, the same thing is gonna happen. It has nothing to do with the rims and tires. And yes, blowing a tire WILL happen to ALL cars.

If this is such a problem, then why do dealerships such as Dodge, sell factory 20's? Are they gonna pull over a guy in a Dodge Ram Pickup with stock 20's? Hell no!

But rest assured that when they see an old Cadillac or Monte Carlo with 20's they are gonna get pulled over.

Rims are connected to the axle with bolts. It does not matter what make and model they are on. They are bolted on just like any other car.

These rims HAVE to pass inspection to be sold to the public for use. Therefore, what the pigs are doing is illegal search and seizure, hence the reason the female cop could not talk about it. Not because she didn't want to, but because they are probably getting the pants sued off of them.
edit on 4/7/2011 by CastleMadeOfSand because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

This is pure BS by the Cincinnati police. Yes, the wheels are of a bigger diameter than stock, but they are of DOT construction, couldn't be sold unless they were, and the tires they put on them are high performance. As a long time mechanic I can state there is not one unsafe thing about them.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
That's strange. I think Ohio is one of the few states left where a mechanical safety inspection is not necessary for motor vehicles. It seems that the only inspections necessary in Ohio are a Salvage inspection if you have restored a wrecked car (to make sure you legally own all the parts) and an Emissions check.

Ohio Inspection Laws

It looks like the cops there are stretching the law in order to bring in a few bucks and profile the black community. They say the rims could make the tire come off unexpectedly. I would like to see some evidence that this has ever happened anywhere or with any regularity. If they are just speculating that this could happen, they could potentially "speculate" that any modification to a vehicle violates the law and use that as an excuse to seize any vehicle from anyone.

Next they'll go after drivers with deer warning whistles on the front of their cars because they "speculate" they could break off and kill someone.

This is just an example of the city using the police to "legally" rob their citizens. Its disgusting that a government can pull this type of crap on its citizens when they run short of cash. If anyone else tried something like this, it would be quickly recognized as armed robbery and they would end up behind bars.
edit on 4/7/11 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
It's not about safety. It's about generating revenue.

Probably cost $150-$200 for the tow, $25-$35 a day for impound. The fine for operating an unsafe vehicle... $200 - $300...

How many people won't be able to afford to get their car back after a week or 2 of trying to fight the system? Then all the city has to do is auction off the cars for storage charges and VIOLA! Instant revenue.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
come to cali, u can see 30's on cars (not trucks)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

This is pure BS by the Cincinnati police. Yes, the wheels are of a bigger diameter than stock, but they are of DOT construction, couldn't be sold unless they were, and the tires they put on them are high performance. As a long time mechanic I can state there is not one unsafe thing about them.

I believe this is nothing short of racial profiling. As mentioned in above posts, these rims are DOT certified and the tires put on these rims are high performance tires specifically made for them. Can someone name an incident (without googling it) where a rim has caused a tire to come off a car and caused anything other than damage to said car?? I believe the sergeant in the above video was simply a high ranking "black face" to take some of the heat off of their raciest agenda (Michael Steele anyone).

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
You see those big rims everywhere in Calif and if they were that unsafe the state would have banned them as they ban a lot of things here in Calif.

you would also see them busted up on cars in the local wreaking yards.

The only problem with them in Calif is they are a high theft idem and the cops spend a lot of time looking for thieves that are taking them.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ashtonkusher

However, in CA they pull some cars over for a stock exhaust that looks "aftermarket", then have them pop the hood and write a ticket for anything that seems like a modification.

I hear guys in CA complaining about this all the time on another forum. The car can be completely stock and because it looks fast (and those who know the car type know it is fast), ticket them for whatever.

Not to mention CA has some of the strictest laws on modifications to cars of any state I have heard of to date. Even adding a cone filter can get you a ticket even if the thing is tagged for emissions. Aside from this there are other reasons I would never go to CA.

As for the large rims thing. The problem I see with them here is that the cars cannot corner or turn very safely with the larger rims and fender wells that do not allow for such a rim tire setup. Even if the fender is modified the wheel con only turn so far before it is hitting the inside of the fender well. In most cases nothing can be done about this aside from the driver taking turns like a semi truck.

That said if they choose to drive around in these ridiculous looking cars they have that right as long as they as safe for road travel. Also for those who keep calling this a racial thing need to take a closer look. I see just as many if not more white guys and gals driving the things as I do young black guys.

Raist

top topics

<<   2 >>

join