It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Socrates a Freemason?!!!!?!?!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Ok whoever knows about Socrates or has read Plato's 5 dialogues will understand this well.

First off, how is Socrates like Freemasonry?

1) He was a moral philosopher.

2) He challeged used rational thinking to deduce a way of life, as he called it "The Virtuous Life". Which challeged the religion of the time, even the very culture of the time.

3) He believed that nothing done to you justifies any wrong returned to the sender. (No eye for an eye).

4) Socrates was branded for his beliefs, as a "corrupter of the youth". Not much unlike Masonry being branded as "evil" by the institutions who thrived on ignorance.

For Socrates believed knowledge was the only good, and one who was learned could do know evil, for only the ignorant served evil.

Funny thing was, in his end when they were trying him. Socrates said "Do to me what you will, you'll all get yours in the end, for more of me are coming."

I guess he was right, where ever dogma and oppression have served ignorance, a smart few would rise and challenge it, and finally in the 1300s a great institution corrupted by King Phillipe went too far, and the result was an institution that has stayed ever since, teaching men Morals, and to be thinkers.

I liken Masonry to teaching a man to live "The Virtuous Life".

And the parallels between it and Socrates, are staggering, read up on him, I guess history does repeate itself.

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Interesting, it says under the number of replies (-1), heh.

Well I find it interesting no one seems to care about this AMAZING correlation. I suppose you all favor the "Saddam is a Mason" thread.

I thought ATS was about research and understanding what was going on in the world.

Not making things up for our own entertainment as if we were the hillbillies of the forums of the internet.

posted on Mar, 28 2003 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Hmm, I'm beginning to notice that when people are confronted with information that shows Masonry to not be the "illuminated NWO super power" they all think it to be.

They tend to ignore the information. Pathetic.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
After all this time we can put this thread to rest.

Socrates was invited to join the Eleusinian mysteries, which were an important branch of the Mystery Babylon religion which boasted Pythagoras in its ranks among others.

According to a book by Manly Palmer Hall called Secret Teachings of All Ages, Socrates would not join because it would "seal his tongue" and he already knew its mysteries.

A wise man, Socrates was. As they say, you don't have to jump off a cliff to know it's gonna hurt!

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by GardenParty

Manly P Hall...although I enjoy his writing, is often incorrect (but just as often he is also insightful). There are many who believe that Socrates was in fact initiated. The problem is that no writings attributed to Socrates exist, the accounts of his life are written by Plato and Xenophon..

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by GardenParty

According to a book by Manly Palmer Hall called Secret Teachings of All Ages, Socrates would not join because it would "seal his tongue" and he already knew its mysteries.

Manly Palmer Hall was wrong. In Plato's "Timaeus", Socrates explains that he himself is an initiate, and encourages Timaeus to accompany him to the mysteries to be initiated himself, if he really wants to understand the meaning of virtue.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by no1smootha

I would agree that many such freemasons who are held high on a marble pedestal are incorrect and often peddlers of false claims. It is a form of "Industrial light and magic" for the mind. On some people it works, on others it doesn't.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I just wanted to add this information I found:

(2) The Farewell Conversation of Socrates with his pupils and friends

These conversations are significant in the following respects:—

(a) Socrates is identified as a member of the Egyptian Mysteries or Masonic Order.

(b) Masonic behavior is manifested through these conversations.

(c) The books containing these conversations; Plato's Crito, Phaedo, Euthyphro, Apology and Timaeus, are the earliest specimen of Masonic literature apart from the secret writings of the Egyptians.

(d) Of the three Athenian philosophers Socrates stood highest in the rank of a Free Mason. He was not afraid of death, he did not publish the knowledge imparted to him and he was an honest man. Read Crito and Phaedo of Plato.

Source

Thanks to the OP for posting...Interesting subject Socrates....

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by GardenParty

Then we aren't in agreement at all. I am simply saying that Hall was mistaken on this account.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by GardenParty
After all this time we can put this thread to rest.
And yet, you felt you had to reopen a thread that hadn't been touched in 9 years…

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

Good use of the search feature...If you ask me.

So I'm getting the impression that it is frowned upon by please clairify for me which is it just Masons or All ATS members that using the search feature and commenting on a thread from the past....

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by relocator
reply to post by JoshNorton

Good use of the search feature...If you ask me.

So I'm getting the impression that it is frowned upon by please clairify for me which is it just Masons or All ATS members that using the search feature and commenting on a thread from the past....

Using search feature is good.

Replying to a thread that only has posts from a user who isn't even a member anymore, however, really doesn't benefit anything. Might as well start a new thread, because the OP is certainly not going to respond.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by relocator

No one objects to using search to find relevant threads to post in, but it is ironic to bump an old thread in order to finally put it to rest!
edit on 26-6-2012 by no1smootha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Well let me clairfy for the record. I got something out of it.

Please note that others can get something out of an old thread whether or not the OP is going to be around.

Now you got me feeling rebellious toward your agression toward others being so bold to post on an old thread....OMG how dare they...lol

I gave the 2nd star...and feelin so good about it...

Keep them spankings coming...lol
edit on 26-6-2012 by relocator because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Wouldn't it be more.....i don't know....educational if instead of looking for a scrap, you looked for information? I love a good scrap as much as the next person, but after a while, the horse begins to stink, the stick breaks, and the flies start to hang around.

If it makes you feel better, masons are evil NWO members who don't get along with people who don't like them.
But the masons on ATS are not high enough in the NWO ranking to "know" what's going on, so they just try to be nice people and help others.

Have a nice day.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Thank you for your kind reply.

You sure do know how to make a girl feel all warm inside.

Hugs...

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Wow, I like this thread! Too bad I wasn't around in 2003!

Anyhow, whether or not Socrates was a Mason, I wholeheartedly agree that the philosophy of Socrates was 100% in agreeance with Freemasonry. I am a huge Socrates and Plato fan. Socrates didn't believe in the concept of "learning." Instead, he believed all universal knowledge was available to us at all times, it only took logical reasoning to ferret the truth out of any situation. It was more of a "remembering" or "discerning" than it was actual "learning." I think that is a wonderful concept, but critical thinkers are in short supply, and therefore Socrates was often misunderstood. It wouldn't be any different if he were alive today.

I hope he was a Mason, but it really isn't significant to me one way or another. I loved the teachings of Socrates/Plato, and I love Freemasonry, regardless of whether or not they had the opportunity to love one another way back then, LOL!

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

be safe on the road.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

In my order, Fellowcraft are implored to study the Philosophers; Thales, Solon, Socrates, Lycurgus, and Pythagoras, to whom we credit the growth of philosophical and scientific knowledge of humanity.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by 5POF

You'd be surprised who in history were masons or belonged to secret societies, who do you think the founding fathers of the United States were? A great majority of them belonged to the secret societies collectviely known as the "mysteries".

new topics

top topics

join