Stone Age Gender Bender: Was 5,000-Year-Old Skeleton Gay?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Stone Age Gender Bender: Was 5,000-Year-Old Skeleton Gay?

www.foxnews.com

"We believe this is one of the earliest cases of what could be described as a transvestite or third-gender grave in the Czech Republic," she told reporters at a press conference Tuesday. According to Semradova and lead researcher Kamila Remisova, during that period men were traditionally buried lying on their right side, with the head pointing toward the west.

Clearly, something was amiss.

In addition, the "gay caveman" was buried with household jugs, rather than the weapons, hammers and flint knives typically seen in graves of men.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
MODS: Please move if I put in the wrong thread, I also checked and didn't see where it has been reported on, but if I'm wrong, please delete so I don't interfere with another members thread.

Now with that said, I find this interesting, Why not place the body in a male position, but then again, the tools this person used daily also places with them, if it's hunting tools or cooking, gathering and cave cleaning tools, maybe this caveman was a stay at cave man a kinda interior cave decorator type,,,,,
just saying,,, maybe.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 7-4-2011 by guohua because: spelling

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

"To state unequivocally that this individual was a homosexual or heterosexual transvestite, or indeed anything else, on the available evidence is at best somewhat speculative and at worst sensationalistic," he said.

your source

There ya go.

peace
edit on 7-4-2011 by silo13 because: link

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Northern Japan is lying in ruins while it's crippled nuclear reactors leak radiation.

The US government is about to be shutdown due to incompetent politicians.

Libya has devolved into a full-scale civil war with no clear end in sight.

The Middle East is aflame in riots and violence.

And yet, Fox News, being the glorious fact finding organization that it is, graces us with "news" of a possible homosexual caveman.

edit on 7-4-2011 by Dreine because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

this reminds me of that tv show "sliders" when there were 2 archaoelogists digging up a parking meter and coming to the conclusion that it was a religious artifact.

i can bunk on this one this nothing but "junk science" at best

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Very interesting indeed. Good find and post.

Gay, Bi and Transgendered people have existed in all ages, and in certain ancient cultures- Native American-Indian, for instance- Transgendered people were viewed upon as almost holy, as they were considered to "Stand between both Worlds and yet with a foot in each one of them.

Anyway, it is a shame that thread-topics like these always runs the risk of getting trolled by haters preaching about irrelevant stuff like whether it is "Natural" or not, and pop-ups about "Gay Agendas".

Ah well, we will have to see, won't we.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
It looks like 50 years of “critical social theory” in academia has finally pushed the camels nose into the tent of hard sciences. Well, there goes the end of the scientific method and the enlightenment.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreine
Northern Japan is lying in ruins while it's crippled nuclear reactors leak radiation.

The US government is about to be shutdown due to incompetent politicians.

Libya has devolved into a full-scale civil war with no clear end in sight.

The Middle East is aflame in riots and violence.

And yet, Fox News, being the glorious fact finding organization that it is, graces us with "news" of a possible homosexual caveman.

edit on 7-4-2011 by Dreine because: (no reason given)

This Hate for anything reported by Fox News is getting Really Old,,,,, Some of you need to learn to read or at least do a little research,,,, instead of just blindly following some one else's incorrect statement.
But, OMG,,,, FOX NEWS was used, It Must Be All Wrong.

Here take a look at this: Oldest Known Gay Man Discovered?
abcnews.go.com...

So, does this mean that the other so called news reporting agencies that did not report on this story,,, are in some way, SHUNNING and Not wanting to bring into the Sun light the possibility that Gender Benders have been around and accepted in many other societies and many, many centuries ago.
I have to believe you folks don't want this to be know,,,, and it upsets you terribly that Fox News and of-course another New Out Let, ABCNEWS,,,, reported this story.
Is it really Hate For Fox News or is it a Homophobia you all have?

Personally I'm very happy to see this being reported and the seed being planted in the back of peoples Brain,,, if people would use their brain and not let some Hate Filled Group Dictate to them.... anyway,,,,,,
I think it is very, very possible that Homosexuals and Lesbians lived and had a good life through out our history here on earth. I have many a friend of both sexes here at ATS and in my life that are GAY or WhatEver!

Fox News Haters Get Over It!

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by guohua

"To state unequivocally that this individual was a homosexual or heterosexual transvestite, or indeed anything else, on the available evidence is at best somewhat speculative and at worst sensationalistic," he said.

your source

There ya go.

peace
edit on 7-4-2011 by silo13 because: link

Hello, silo13.
It has been awhile and I'm happy to see you've posted.
I was only making fun at all the Big Words used by Rosemary Joyce, a professor in the social science department with the University of California, Berkeley, and were she goes into this rant: "this is simply sexual stereotyping of the worst kind. The stone-age man wasn't gay: The archaeologists may have found the grave of an ancient transgender person, she argued in a blog post."

I mean, For The Love Of G-D they don't know why he was buried in this manner and with those items. But it would make sense to most people that if it falls out of the norm of things, then maybe this Caveman and his Pots and not his Arrows was a Stay At Home ( Cave ) cave man and to discover this from so long ago I think is COOL!
Didn't mean to offend you.

edit on 7-4-2011 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by guohua
maybe this Caveman and his Pots and not his Arrows was a Stay At Home ( Cave ) cave man and to discover this from so long ago I think is COOL!
That's what I was wondering, if it could be a stay at home man and he was just buried with the implements he used in life. It wouldn't be too surprising if some labor divisions weren't assigned purely by sex, even if they commonly were.

It's an interesting find no matter what the reason.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by guohua
maybe this Caveman and his Pots and not his Arrows was a Stay At Home ( Cave ) cave man and to discover this from so long ago I think is COOL!
That's what I was wondering, if it could be a stay at home man and he was just buried with the implements he used in life. It wouldn't be too surprising if some labor divisions weren't assigned purely by sex, even if they commonly were.

It's an interesting find no matter what the reason.

Arbitrageur, thinking out of the box.
That is a Very Unique why looking at it, you are so very Right!
Maybe he was blind or partially blind or deaf and it was safer for all that he stayed at home, in the cave.
Maybe, Just Maybe,,, he was an Artists and did the cave drawings or paintings and these pots held his colors, his tools for his work you might say.
edit on 7-4-2011 by guohua because: spell check

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
What?...Do people think that "Gay" is a new thing or something...being "Gay" isnt just something that someones decides one day that they want to try. "Gay" people are born the way they are. Juat like straight people are born the way they are. There have been "Gay" people for as long as humans have been around. There are even "Gay" animals. And really thats all we are,nothing but a bunch of animals...So why would this seem like it was to be unexpected...Just because he was some caveman dude doesnt mean that he was born with a different purpose and way of life as others.... I personnaly have nothing wrong with "Gay" people who only live their lives the way they were made to live it...

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Two problems with this "gay caveman"...

It's not a caveman, but a pre Bronze Age farmer. And, statistically speaking, it's more likely that the Skeleton was mis-identified as a male. But, other than that

Further Reading:

John Hawks: The "gay caveman"

Bone Girl: Gay Caveman! ZOMFG!

Not sure this is coming from the researchers (I dont think there's been anything published yet). Most likely this is just the usual piss-poor science sensationalism journalism that is becoming all too common these days. Made you look/click! I'm not finding any support for this from experts anywhere I look.

Regards.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Maybe he was Metrosexual. Maybe he just had the nicest and cleanest cave in the hillside. Cheetah print covers on his bamboo and wicker lounge chairs could have cost him his reputation as just a man with taste.

I thought historical Rome was as far back as we needed to go to understand that yes homosexuality existed in the past. Who cares whether or not there was a Gay caveman?
edit on 7-4-2011 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nightchild
Very interesting indeed. Good find and post.

Gay, Bi and Transgendered people have existed in all ages, and in certain ancient cultures- Native American-Indian, for instance- Transgendered people were viewed upon as almost holy, as they were considered to "Stand between both Worlds and yet with a foot in each one of them.

Anyway, it is a shame that thread-topics like these always runs the risk of getting trolled by haters preaching about irrelevant stuff like whether it is "Natural" or not, and pop-ups about "Gay Agendas".

Ah well, we will have to see, won't we.

Look in to the First Nations concept of "Two-spirited people"en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Rren

Thank You for your in-put, I just read both your links, very interesting. Definitely not a cave man. Pre-Bronze Age, and this skeleton could be a woman.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by guohua

Oh you didn't offend me at all, I was just being short and too the point I guess. No worry.

And yeah, I agree, in fact I'm glad you posted the article, it goes far to show how ridiculous this whole 'to be or not to be' gay thing is getting. Yee-ouch!

I do admit this information from your ABC source is interesting:

These "third-gender" people, said Arnold, were sometimes even accorded special spiritual or shaman status in their societies.

Take care

peace
edit on 8-4-2011 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
like in india.

en.wikipedia.org...(South_Asia)

thailand ladyboys.

and ya can't say this just popped up in the 20th century.

geeze, the greeks!

i, for one am not surprised at all.

and who was that egyptian queen that pretended to be a guy?

i forget and that might not be relevant to this. sorry.
edit on 8-4-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

how about the movie, "little big man" with dustin hoffman.

wasn't there an indian character that was kinda effeminate?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join