It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can You Identify this Plant? [Plant ID Project]

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Elostone

I don't think that the picture of the plant, matches the description??

Take a good look at the foliage of both and you will see what I mean.

The area where I found this plant was under water (Shenandoah river rose over the banks) for a couple of days, and is still drying out, hopefully the plant survived and I will be able to get an updated picture to help us ID that particular plant.

A decent reference for this project is this series of videos made by some agriculturally based show, and though their efforts are in using Monsanto based products to eradicate weeds, their videos do usually provide great imagery of the plants, that can help us in our project here..

AgPhD's Channel

look for the "weed of the week" clips if you use this link

I should be uploading some more plant images later today, I was able to go on a 2 hour hike in the forest and found a few interesting items to ID.

edit on Tue, 19 Apr 2011 11:01:27 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Here's a couple more plants to try and identify, both look to have yellow blooms, but are very different in structure..

Ranunculus abortivus aka kidney-leaf buttercup, littleleaf buttercup
www.illinoiswildflowers.info...
www.ct-botanical-society.org...

Both of these were spotted just in the woodline and near a mountain creek..

Here's a flowering tree spotted on the same hike, there are numerous pear and apple trees in areas that were once private property and now owned by Uncle Sam and part of the national forest here..

edit on Sun, 24 Apr 2011 20:32:06 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Ironic! I hadn't checked back on this thread since I last posted. I need to see what GD has to say about Plantain now.
Ok, you're last of 2 out of 3 is Silene virginica or Fire Pink.

Let's see what else this thread has! muahahaha!

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Thanks!! This project is going well so far, only one image unidentified.. I spent a couple of hours searching with no luck, but we have time...

Here's a couple more wild plants around here that someone might recognize.. I sure have no clue :lol

Looks like Xanthium or cocklebur to me.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   

The yelllow plants look like wintercress (barbarea vulgaris) and possibly a buttercup (ranunculacea) of some sort,
The plants that I can't eat I don't know so well, that's why I gotta guess on this one.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I think this one has been ID'd.. It appears to be a dock, not curly dock, but....

Rumex obtusigolius aka Broad-leaved Dock, Bitter Dock, Bluntleaf Dock, Dock Leaf or Butter Dock

another image can be found here..

I may also have "curly dock" as well, and as soon as the rains cease.. I will try to locate and get a pic

edit on Fri, 22 Apr 2011 13:35:01 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

Ironic! I hadn't checked back on this thread since I last posted. I need to see what GD has to say about Plantain now.
Ok, you're last of 2 out of 3 is Silene virginica or Fire Pink.

Let's see what else this thread has! muahahaha!

this one?

I was leaning towards Moss Phlox

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Here's a pair of pics that I believe can be identified as..

Claytonia virginica L.
Virginia springbeauty

more images can be found here: calphotos

bit of info here.. en.wikipedia.org...

What do you think?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

It should be easy to see if those are cockleburrs soon enough... will have to get an updated pic on that one in a week or so...

Here's one that should be easy pickins for the crew...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
JackKat,

I have a small flowering plant in my garden right now that I have not been able to identify forever. It was originally growing in the garden at a trailer site we rented for several years and when we closed down our trailer and left the park I "borrowed" some and brought it home to plant in my home garden. As we are just coming into warmer spring like weather here it is just starting now to come up.

It has medium-ish green almost spade or heart shaped leaves and pretty little purple flowers that cover it during the spring and into early summer. The flowers then die off and you're just left with a lush green plant for the rest of the summer. The problem is it did really great at the trailer...and is not doing so good here in my home garden and I would love to research what changes I need to make in order for it to bloom nicely again. Here in my home garden the flowers are really tiny and I only get a handful on each plant and they die off within a few weeks. At the trailer the flowers covered the entire plant and lasted up to 6 weeks.

Would you mind if I posted a picture on your thread once it is a bit bigger to see if anyone can identify it?

Michelle

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Michelle129th

By all means, if anyone has a picture of a plant that they want identified, post it right here and we can tackle tracking down what it is as a team!!

thousands of minds working together

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

That's definitely Spring beauty, the bulbs are edible = look them up before trying!

You're right about eh moss phlox, fire pink has red flowers.

Lesse here (remember I am rusty) Spring anemone (or rue anemone/Anemonela thalictroides),
number two is birdfoot violet and the last one is some type of saxifrage.
(crosses fingers and hopes not to fail quiz)
I'm making lasagna at midnight, some life eh?

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

pretty good... the last one is sweet violet.. still no clue on the third one.. perhaps we will stumble upon the identification for that in the near future..

I got out again for a brief hike and took some pics..

Here's that one that you mentioned could be a cockleburr, but appears to be one of the many plants in the mustard family, but which one?
Even the collards, turnips, kale in my cultivated garden are flowering in a similar manner with the cross four petaled yellow flowers.

Here's the plant that I believe to be Curly Dock..

I will post up some more in a few...

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Here's four more to id...

Antennaria plantaginifolia aka Plantain-leaf Pussytoes, Woman's tobacco, Ladies' tobacco, Everlasting, Mouse ear
uswildflowers.com...

Ranunculus aka Buttercup many species, believe this one to be Ranunculus_repens but need to get a better look at the foliage, and a bit more research...

Houstonia caerulea aka Azure Bluet, Quaker ladies
plants.usda.gov...
www.cas.vanderbilt.edu...

Dodecatheon meadia aka Shooting star
plants.usda.gov...

edit on Sun, 24 Apr 2011 20:21:43 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

From top - Pussytoes or cudweed knapthalia obtusifolium (right next to more toothwort which you should try the root -it's peppery and great for spicing meat),
Buttercup,
Houstonia caer(something) (bluets) ,
I've nver seen that last one - it's beautiful. Shooting star something comes to mind tho -
I am working from memory here, no point in looking them up That;s your job anyway

edit on 24-4-2011 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

I tried some of the toothwort, and a couple of the spring beauty tubers (taste much like potatoes) mixed in with some garlic mustard, curly dock and come collard greens.. sauteed in butter and some wild garlic..

You were so quick on Identifying the last batch, I had to get some more pics

Here's 5 more wild plants...

Stellaria pubera aka Star chickweed
uswildflowers.com...
www.altnature.com...

Galium aparine aka Cleavers, Clivers, Goosegrass
www.missouriplants.com...
www.altnature.com...

Alliaria petiolata aka Garlic Mustard
plants.usda.gov...
www.wildwoodsurvival.com...
www.wildmanstevebrill.com...

Thinking this is Peppermint, will take more pics to confirm once it flowers

unidentified, will take more pics as it progresses

edit on Tue, 26 Apr 2011 10:02:28 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Thanks for taking the pics!
First one is star chickweed Stellaria media
2nd is cleavers Gallium aparine (edible greens when young, seeds make coffee substitute although I have no idea of how you can collect enough to do anything with,
3rd is Garlic mustard Alliaria officinalis
4th one still dont know, some kind of mint
5th ? got me brother! looks like a cultivar of some sort perhaps artemsia?,

This is too much fun, thanks for indulging me, I dunno if anyone else is checking these out so maybe you can u2u me the answers so others can guess too,

btw what is the last one from the pics before these? nm, you posted it, yay! i totally guessed that one as I;ve never seen it before.

edit on 25-4-2011 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Mind if I contribute?

Easy, eh? But I've never seen so many blooms here! Really impressive. Goes to show how good snow is for the earth in winter. We had TONS of the stuff!

Forgot to ask if that last pic above is not a Mugwort? Looks like it to me. (Artemisia vulgaris) Yellow flowers?
edit on 3/5/2011 by CosmicEgg because: Tsk! I just said I forgot to ask a question. Sheesh! ;D

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

That's a very interesting plant there CE... I haven't seen it around here..

Is that EURO specific or does it also occur on this side of the pond?

I have been so busy scouting out the local area, I have a few hundred pics, but haven't had the time to get them processed and uploaded... forgive me.. I am trying to capture every plant in the flowering mode, and it's that time where a BUNCH of local plants are blooming....

IN other words... I can hardly keep up

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join