It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can You Identify this Plant? [Plant ID Project]

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Hi everyone, I will be posting up pictures of some plants that nature provides in my neck of the woods, in hopes that using the vast knowledge of the members of ATS, we can all learn together and become more aware of our immediate surroundings. This is the first of those pictures...

Veronica persica

Beautiful little ground covering plant with those blue flowers, to put size in perspective, the bee in the pic is 1/2" long max..

What is this plant? If you stumble upon some plants you would like ID'd feel free to use this thread as well

Identified as a Veronica persica also commonly called "birds eye speedwell"

edit on Sun, 10 Apr 2011 13:31:36 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Speedwell?

That bee looks bigger then 1/2"!

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

The flower is a Veronica.

The Veronica Flower

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Thanks!! You were quick on this one... I zoomed in to get a good close up of the flowers that's why the bee appears larger than it really is.

It seems that there are quite a wide variety of veronica's.. This one, thanks to your help, appears to be this variety:

Veronica persica

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum
Speedwell?

That bee looks bigger then 1/2"!

That bee is more than likely a Cicada Wasp Killer. Big, ugly mean looking things that like to burrow in flower beds.

BTW, that is a gorgeous flower bed.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Fuzzy Wabbit

It's a bit confusing to picture the size of the bee, since I should have provided some scale to the image. If we get another sunny day tomorrow, I will take another pic, with a ruler for perspective.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Here's a pic of one of my favorite trees sporting some new buds that will open in the next couple of weeks..

Pawpaw (Asimina)

This tree's fruit is also one I look forward to collecting towards the end of summer/early fall...

here's an updated pic of the buds

edit on Sat, 16 Apr 2011 13:06:17 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Here's a pic of one of my favorite trees sporting some new buds that will open in the next couple of weeks..

This tree's fruit is also one I look forward to collecting towards the end of summer/early fall...

OK.. I guess that much be a Peach tree?
Right?

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by tomten

Those are the buds on a Paw Paw tree.. I plan to take more pics, showing the foliage, and the developing fruit as the year goes on.

here's more info on that particular tree..

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Here's a pic of a flowering tree, but I have no clue what type of tree it may be, hopefully one of the members will be able to solve this mystery...

This tree is amongst some mature evergreens, some black walnut trees are also nearby. This one is around 20 feet tall and seems to be the only one of it's kind in the immediate location. I will try to take another pic as soon as the leaves emerge to help in identifying this one.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I tried everything to figure this one out, but couldn't come to a conclusion.
I love threads like this. Here is one for you:

A very adaptable plant, there are a bunch of these near by my home right now. (Not actual picture)

BTW is that a dogwood tree.
edit on 4/9/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

That's an interesting plant.. haven't seen one of those in my neck of the woods..

I do have some dogwoods in the forest that should be flowering in the next few weeks, here's what their flowers look like in my area..

edit to add..... Here's an image of the blooms on one of the dogwoods in the forest nearby..

As far as the unknown flowering tree, I am starting to lean towards some form of an apple tree, while there are a vast variety of the blossoms, the general 5 pointed flowers seem to be close.. here's a google search result for apple blossoms

edit on Mon, 18 Apr 2011 11:03:43 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   

This looks like peaches to me. We have 4 peach trees and they have nice peaches on them already. Here's a link to some images:Peach blossoms

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

You could be right... I have a few peach trees, that are sporting blossoms right now, though they aren't the same..

I will take a pic of them so we can compare...

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

I don't have any blossoms anymore, I have nice peaches already!! The plums are nice-sized, too. I will get some pics tomorrow, tho. I have a few plants that need identifying also.

This was a really good idea for a thread!!

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Is that your PawPaw Jack?
I love those things..There's a grove in the valley below my dads place in WV. seems I'm never there at the right time to enjoy them.
How much fruit does it produce?

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
reply to post by AnteBellum

That's an interesting plant.. haven't seen one of those in my neck of the woods..

I do have some dogwoods in the forest that should be flowering in the next few weeks, here's what their flowers look like in my area..

As far as the unknown flowering tree, I am starting to lean towards some form of an apple tree, while there are a vast variety of the blossoms, the general 5 pointed flowers seem to be close.. here's a google search result for apple blossoms

edit on Sat, 09 Apr 2011 13:08:27 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

I love Dogwoods, especially the pink ones. I was born and raised in Knoxville, TN and they even have a big festival there each year, The Dogwood Arts Festival. The trees are just awesome to see. Here in Memphis area not as many pink ones.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

Here's a pic of the blooms on one of our peach trees..

and here's another one of that tree I was trying to ID..

It looks like you were "on the mark"

I think we will be able to confirm this in a few weeks once the fruit starts

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

It's one of several Pawpaw trees that hang around the river here, most are in the George Washington National forest.

Some trees produce more than others, I usually only harvest a dozen or so each fall, it's a very tasty fruit and was a favorite dessert of our first President.

I updated the identified plants in the previous posts, and added a link for more info, so everyone can reference as needed. Now for the next mystery to be solved...

This plant has a resemblance to dandelion, with the cottony seed puffs, but I don't have a clue what it is..

Senecio vulgaris, aka Common Groundsel.

Thanks to everyone for helping out with this project, I love to take pictures of nature, and with your assistance, I also get to learn something new as well

edit on Mon, 18 Apr 2011 11:43:44 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

I think that's a type of thistle. I haven't got time to look rite now because I'm planting onions and eggplant! Already got a sunburn, too!

be back later!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join